Unlimited access >

Neck or grab straps

HA! I thought the leather was really nice too. I actually keep it attached to my saddle so when I untack I just undo the neckstrap, flip it back over my saddle, and put the whole thing away. That way it’s always there. I hung on to it quite a bit this week, our first week using the outdoor since October!

I’ve had the Flexible Fit neck strap for a couple of months now… 10/10 would recommend. I took my green OTTB XC schooling for the first time on Saturday and was very glad to have it. :joy:

There was some bouncing and spooking and general green bean shenanigans, so it was nice to have my “oh sh*t strap” just in case. I also kept one hand on it over the fences to help make sure I didn’t accidentally pop him in the mouth if he really cracked his back over something.

1 Like

I have used this but it was just decoration as where it sat, I wouldn’t grab.

Nunn Finer Nylon Neck Grab Strap | EquestrianCollections

Another option for anyone shopping for a grab strap. A few friends from my barn picked these up from the Correct Connect booth at Land Rover and love them. It’s a little thicker in width but lower in profile than the FF one.

We joke that it can double as either an “oh sh*t” strap or an “oh F**K” strap depending on where you need to grab on. :joy:

2 Likes

I got the correct connect one at Land Rover too and it’s great for the babies.

I was never a neck strap believer until I started galloping racehorses and starting 2yos. You learn really fast the Yoke Is Your Friend. Always keep a finger on the yoke, you never know when a duck, prop, wheel, spin, buck, or leap is going to leave you behind.

The “yoke” is just a neck strap with a center piece attached to the girth between the front legs, which “rings” (running martingale bib) snaps to. A nylon yoke is about $12-15 at any racing tack shop. I now use a yoke on all my young horses, adjusted with 4-5" of slack at the base of the neck. I can easily hold the yoke with my middle & index fingers, while holding the reins with steady low hands, riding basic flatwork. The yoke isn’t halfway up the neck like a jumping neck strap, it sits at the withers like a martingale, with just a bit if extra slack. I typically keep it just in my left hand, as right hand usually has a whip. It is now instinct to hold it whenever I feel a horse get tense or distracted. It’s always right there below my hand, I don’t need to lean or reach forward. Horses also learn pressure from the neck strap means slow down, and it becomes a useful, gentle half halt.

In competition on baby horses I just use a loose running martingale to serve the same purpose. I have never been comfortable with a neck strap halfway up the neck for jumping…if it hits the fan over a fence, I’m snatching mane anywhere I can reach!

6 Likes

Some of the best tack advice I ever got was to get a yoke for my youthful goofball. It wasn’t just for OS moments: he half halted off it, even when getting fizzy jumping, and rebalanced without touching his mouth. Extra bonus: it’s legal for dressage. (And you just never know with the youthful goofballs.)

ETA actually, hmmmm, it’s been a while - may want to check to see if it’s currently legal. Used to be.

3 Likes