Unlimited access >

Neck Strap Terrets: Floppy vs Fixed

I’m planning to get a new breast collar (Endura Mid V) and neck strap from IVC for my TWH. One of the options is “floppy” vs “fixed” terrets on the neck strap. Which is appropriate for nocking around the pasture? Thanks.

I don’t think I’ve seen fixed terrets in years, trail, dressage, or marathon driving, although there may be some presentation rule that requires them in those type of classes.

As an fyi my presentation harness just came in from IVC last week. Beautiful workmanship and leather, plus Myrna is great to work with, I highly recommend them!

Thank you DMK. You even answered my implied question!

1 Like

My biothane harness - dual-purpose: work & show - has loose (“floppy”?) terrets on the neckstap.
Not from IVC. I covet their gorgeous, well-made harness. :yes:

And I 2nd @DMK about working with Myrna or Chad :encouragement:
Both have a wealth of knowledge & are happy to share it.

All our neckstrap terret rings are loose. It allows more flexibility for the reins, not dictating a line from the bit to saddle. If horse has a VERY low set neck, you might order a custom measurement, setting, to prevent a sharp rein drop from neckstrap/shoulder strap terret rings to the bit. We also have loose rings on the hames when using full neck collars. Same reason, more flexible.

Most terrets are set to create a straight rein line from hands, thru terrets to the bit of a collected horse. Not all horses are made that way or driven collected, to have a straight rein line.

“Back in the day” a friend with an old fashioned QH, just ran the reins under the shoulder strap of breastcollar and on to the bit. Watching horse travel with the low head, it put horse bit carrying at the same level to be about even with the breastcollar on her chest. Horse was comfortable, not collected, not getting bumped with reins in her too-high set terrets. Line of reins was actually pretty straight, though a bit downhill from tall cart seat. Horse was happy, went along nicely with that rein modification.