Unlimited access >

Neck Strap

Apologies if this has been discussed before, I can’t seem to get the search function to work at the moment with the new forum platform.

I was browsing through some race photos of the horse I’m vetting and noticed a neck strap on him in some of the photos. I poked around and see that there are quite a few jockeys using neck straps these days and was wondering about it. I have used a neck strap before (starting babies, eventing, and h/j) and I think they are great and was curious to know more about their use in the racing world. Are they predominately liked/used for if the horse is fussing before/after the race? Used for help coming out of the starting gate? All of the above? On particular types of horses?

Not particularly important, just interested if anyone has some more information about their use in racing!

They’re predominantly used for jockeys to grab when the horse leaves the starting gate so the horse doesn’t get hit in the mouth before it’s even gotten started. The decision about whether or not to use them is made by the trainer, not the jockey.

1 Like

Thank you!