Unlimited access >

Need a dog

[

Lost my dog 4 months ago and can’t stop grieving ](/t/lost-my-dog-4-months-ago-and-cant-stop-grieving/754445)

walkers60Training Level

11m

I think I a ready for a new pup but all the rescues around here just have pit bulls or old sick dogs. I had a champion level Ridgeback out of BOB at Westminster) for 14 years, a great horse dog. I miss her constantly.
I am ready for a dog and need one as its spooky to be lone on the farm .
I have tried all the Humane societies, rescue groups and all I find are seniors, sick or damaged dogs or lots of pit bulls.
The pandemic has made it impossible to find a good dog at least here in NC.
At a loss on how to find a good young healthy dog.
Please don’t judge and don’t tell me they are out there because I have tried every vet, feed store, neighborhood group and all I find are damaged sick dogs or seniors .
Help
be kind

2 Likes

So sorry about the loss of your dog. Have you reached out to the place where you got her? They may not have anything available but might have useful contacts that could help.

The AKC has a puppy finder site that has breeders who have litters now or expect to in the next couple of months.

Best of Luck

3 Likes

Have you checked Petfinder? or Adopt-a-Pet ??

My county shelter uses those. Are you willing to travel to check out a rescue or shelter dog?

I’m in Central Fl. and have gotten my last 2 purebred German Shepherds at my county shelter.
Both were 2 yrs. old. I guess they go pretty fast.

1 Like

Look on Petfinder.com. If you don’t see something you like, start expanding your search radius until you do. I lost my favorite dog in February, and by late spring started looking for a new puppy. I used petfinder, and as time went by, eventually expanded my search to a 3 hour radius or so. This was late May/ early June and pandemic puppies were still in short supply. I inquired about several puppies but never seemed to get anywhere. I ended up finding my new dog at a rescue about an hour from home, but only because someone they had approved to adopt her backed out. She’s German Shepherd, bluetick coonhound, bloodhound, pit bull and lab, per the DNA test. I can’t see any evidence of her 18% pit bull. She’s very much like a GSD and hound.

Why are pits not candidates? They are dogs like any other. Like any dog, it is important to select a good match, of course. And sounds like they could be reassuring if security is an issue. Even if the pit it gentle, bad guys who know one is in residence are less likely to bother that property.

2 Likes

Try getyourpet.com . It’s home to home adoption. You can find out everything about the pet from the people who are seeking a home for their fur child. I got my girl from that website and it was fantastic. I got all of her vet records with her and everything. I’m still in touch with the family that I got her from and they are thrilled that she found a great spot. Highly recommend

1 Like

To adopt a ridgeback from the national rescue, you will likely need to contact them to get on their radar and get checked out, to have the best shot at getting one. By the time a dog hits the rescue site, an adoption may already be pending. The Rhodesian Ridgeback Club of America has several links to ridgeback specific rescue on their site:
https://www.rrcus.org/#

The club also has a list of breeders who promise to adhere to the breed club code of ethics: http://rrcus.org/breeders.php

If you want a puppy, you can get on a list for a pup. Breeders may also have adults they’re looking to rehome. The AKC also has a list of breeders on their website: https://marketplace.akc.org/puppies/rhodesian-ridgeback?

Good luck looking for your next dog!

3 Likes

Is there a reason you’re not reaching out to breeders, like you did in the past?

8 Likes

Sometimes you can do all the right things (tell friends/word of mouth, look at rescues, look at breeder sites/FB pages, etc) and it still may take some time. Earlier this year, after doing all the above, I posted here for suggestions on my next dogs’ breed. One poster told me about her breeder friend with a couple young adults looking for a home. Just so happened I was flying to that area to visit my friend, and 3 weeks later I had my new pal! I know it’s hard to be patient when your house seems empty, but somehow time can make things work out for the best. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions but perhaps people have not looked lately for a healthy farm dog as pets have become the toys of the Pandemic. I’m sure when its over the shelters will be full as people go back to work.
The breeder of my past Ridgebacks well she sold me a $$ dog with bad hips so no go there and I have learned to stay away from show dog blood lines.
I have looked within a drivable radius of my farm but again nothing. The rescue take all the good dogs from the county and then well since I don’t ave a fenced 10 acres they won’t talk to me. I have had working dogs for 40 years, everyone here has underground fence and I am on a dead end on a dead end . I never lost a dog. I once tried to adopt a child and it was much simpler than these rescue places.
So if anyone here’s of a good dog needed a home or has lost their owner send me a note. I am in NC and my vets will tell you NO ONE takes better care of their animals.
Peace

2 Likes

in my breed, (portuguese water dogs) …just among my facebook friends there are at least 8, maybe even more, breeders with litters on the ground and a couple more with xrays of in utero (“how many do you see”…a blatant sales ploy). Greeders got the word that sales are up and they’re cranking them out like mad. There are plenty of puppies out there.

Our Humane Societies and Shelters here in Columbiana and the Birmingham, AL area regularly ship dogs out of state to good homes. I also love pitties and a friend of mine with a fabulous facility has a number of them and other dogs she has rescued. She is also a transporter. I’ll check our shelters as they always have a variety - Check Shelby County Humane Society and Greater Birmingham Humane Society and there are others if you want to PM. Besides a RR, what interests you?

Well, that’s a pretty naive version of how it works. Did you buy from a breeder that conducted health screenings (e.g. OFA hip xrays?) If not, buyer beware. And of course, clear xrays aren’t an absolute guarantee of good hips in offspring, but if you buy from a breeder that doesn’t even try to eliminate genetic defects, you get what you get.

Good breeders don’t breed that way, at least not my Facebook friend breeders. I know a lot of breeders with litters planned, but it has nothing to do with “demand”. It has to do with wanting to breed the right litter at the right time. A well bred litter will always be in demand.

7 Likes

Honestly, most shelters here are full of pit bulls and their mixes, and some senior dogs. There is no shame in not wanting to own a particular type of dog, whatever it is.
Some people want to go out and help a homeless dog. They want the oldest dog in the shelter, the one that’s been there the longest, etc. When I have just lost a dog, I’m not in the frame of mind to take an old dog. It sounds selfish, I know, but I usually want a young dog. Someday, when I’m older, I’ll probably want to adopt an old dog, but I’m not there yet. I don’t have any issue with people owning pit bulls, and I’ve known many. I am always partial to furry dog breeds more one person dogs. It’s just what I like.
The best way to get something specific is to go to a show dog breeder and buy a dog. They can also be picky. I can understand not wanting to do that. Hip problems and other health issues are complicated. There are no guarantees on living things. I could get a dog that’s exceptionally healthy anywhere, and I could get a dog with all kinds of issues anywhere. It’s the luck of the draw. At the end of the day, your Ridgeback lived for 14 years which is an amazing age for a big dog. I understand that you might’ve gone through all kinds of medical issues, but all in all it’s a long life. That doesn’t mean your breeder was good, but I think if you want a ridgeback, you should get one. I know of several ridgeback litters recently.
Personally I think that for what you want, you should contact breeders and just buy one. I think if you’re worried about hips, your chances are a whole lot better with a breeder that x rays their breeding dogs than any dog you get from a shelter.

7 Likes

Unfortunately, hip genetics aren’t completely straightforward. It’s possible to breed two Excellent rated parents and still end up with dysplastic offspring. Health testing on parents stacks the deck in favor of healthy offspring, but it’s not a guarantee.

For what you seek, reaching out to breeders may serve you best. If Great Pyrenees would be an option, Big Fluffy Dog rescue gets a lot going through

7 Likes

I’m sorry you lost your dog, sounds like you are still very much grieving. I guess I’m not sure what “help” looks like for you, on this thread (if you don’t want to hear that “they’re out there.”).
But they’re out there, just may have to expand your geographic radius and/or get on a breeder’s waiting list. Our local CL is full of dogs and puppies for sale. This 3yo in our local shelter isn’t damaged, just has some training needs (I’m not sure what amount of training needs you want to take on). But such a sweet face!

1 Like

Depending on what part of NC you are in, the rescues where I live have almost as many hound mixes as pit bull mixes, and we are not far from the NC state line.
I am very sorry about the loss of your Rhodesian Ridgeback. Those are wonderful dogs.
Feel free to PM me re the rescues if you like.

Here’s several RR in NC on Adopt-a-Pet.

1 Like

Here’s one in NC on Petfinder- there may be more there if you search the breed and NC.

1 Like

Absolutely true. But - I have heard this story many times. The “good breeder” that sells the expensive “show dog” without health testing…when it is really a crappy breeder who used a pet bitch without health testing and found a stud with a title willing to stand for them. “Good breeders” screen for genetic issues, especially hips.

Although, to be honest, any Ridgeback that lives to 14 is doing pretty good.

5 Likes