Unlimited access >

Need a jump girth for sensitive type

Sensitive mare has declared Total Saddle Fit synthetic girth to be Total No Go - it digs in along the back edge. I tried a friends string girth and that was also a hard no. She did like a Classic Equine Feather Flex but they’re hard to find in a 54”

Suggestions?

Must have elastic both ends, easy to hose clean (not leather or synthetic fleece), and shaped is good but “anatomical” maybe (?) not ok. Oh and super cushy soft! I’m ok with getting sheepskin liners if needed but ideally wouldn’t.

Mine didn’t like TSF either. At all.

You need a long girth (assuming so since you mentioned 54) ? Every one of my horses has gone well in this girth but it doesn’t come in long options:

I have this long girth for one of my geldings, no complaints and meets all your requirements:
https://www.doversaddlery.com/profchoice-ventech-girth/p/X1-02087/

It comes in a fancier contour option but I have no experience with it:
https://www.doversaddlery.com/pc-ventech-contoured-jump-grth/p/X1-02691/

1 Like

Seconding Professional’s Choice Ventech SMX. Checks all your boxes and is approved by my thin-skinned, sensitive TB mare. Neoprene comes off so you can hose it easily after a ride.

I will say she does sweat more easily as it does trap some heat, but I haven’t noticed her uncomfortable at all like she is with many other girths.

Also using the Prof Choice girth on a sensitive horse. He is quick to tell me if something is not right and he has a thin coat. Love that I can strip the velcro and hose off the neoprene.

Glad I asked! I was eyeing the VenTECH girths and I’ll give them a try now. Thanks all!

(now, do they sell replacement liners, and maybe even sheepskin ones…?)

This girth is a game changer.

I’ve got the contoured Professionals Choice VenTECH girth as my horse has a forward girth groove. He loves this one. It’s very thin and flexible as the outer shell is TPU, not leather.

https://profchoice.com/i-23901601-ventech-contoured-jump-girth.html

Removable lining, easy to hose down, and it looks like you can get a fleece liner although they show out of stock at the moment (available “Spring 2021” per the website).

Mine hated the leather TSF girth. He actually went rein lame in it - I think it was pressing on the vagus nerve.

How did this girth break in for you?

I admit I was curious about this girth, but then I handled it in person. It’s heavy and stiff! I ended up passing on it. Plus the price… but there is one at my my local consignment store that I’ve been eyeballing. It’s been on the floor for a few months. I guess other people are also put off by how bulky it is in person.

Just another vote for the Pro Choice SMX Ventech girths. They last, too - I think mine is 4 or 5 years old and just starting to look a little beat up which is a pretty solid ROI.

I tried the Total Saddle Fit girth and found that it was so stiff that only one edge came in contact with my horse’s side/belly and that resulted in definite pressure points. I tried the EquiFit next. Nice and soft. Full contact, so no pressure points. Easy to clean and maintain, as you can pull off the layer that touches the horse for a hosing after every ride.

Editing to add the link I forgot:

I’m selling it now because my horse has passed away. It’s a 56", so maybe a little big for you, but if you don’t mind something slightly used, hit me up. Regardless, I do recommend it if you want to try it out in a 54".

Update: got a Professional’s Choice VenTECH™ Contoured Jump Girth after a few false starts (it’s hard to get in stock) and mare likes it. Yay! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I had the Professional’s Choice Contoured VenTECH Jump girth for awhile for my jump saddle, it’s not the shape that digs into the back (happens to my horse a lot) and very easy to clean with a removable liner of your choice of material. You can hose the whole thing down too!

Here’s their full selection of Contoured VenTECH girths in case you need monoflap style.

1 Like