Unlimited access >

Need a Lesson in TB Pedigrees

Whenever I find myself oogling CANTER cuties, I click on the pedigree but realize I have no real idea of what I’m looking at. I understand sire and dam lines and can recognize famous racing names, but that’s about it.

How do you know which horses in the pedigree have a positive influence on sport horse/eventing potential? What do you do with the unfamiliar names on the pedigree (especially the ones closely related to the horse you are considering)? To what degree do bloodlines actually impact an individual’s sport horse potential? Any other advice on understanding pedigree info?

PS: I know you can’t ride pedigrees, I would just enjoy learning something new!

Just do some searches (CANTER, pedigree, etc) and you will learn a lot!

This thread has a great list of names you’d probably like to see in a pedigree with potential traits that are passed along.
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?414018-OTTB-pedigree-inquiry-compilation-paging-all-OTTB-pedigree-experts

[QUOTE=MKV;7225604]
This thread has a great list of names you’d probably like to see in a pedigree with potential traits that are passed along.
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?414018-OTTB-pedigree-inquiry-compilation-paging-all-OTTB-pedigree-experts[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Very helpful.

to fine great TB sport horse lines, look at WB lines. If you go back to when they started to introduce more TB in to the WB’s. You will see what TB lines they used the most. Those same sires are going to be the main sires to look for in the TB lines. Then you want to start looking at sport horses that have done well in the sport of your choice. Look at their lines and you will start to see a pattern in the same sires being used. I am not talking about sires in use now but 20-30 yrs ago. Look at soundness in the lines how long before they could no longer race due to a mayor injury. Then look at he build of a horse, find ones you like. You will start to see names pop up on the pedigrees that match or are in line.

I love the build of Bold Ruler and a horse that is his line and his stamp in build is what I look for. Good solid legs and girth with a strong hind end is what I want for in a horse. Every horse that I like has the same line and goes back to BR with in 5-6 gens.

OTOH, BRs have a reputation of being obstinate and perhaps too strong-minded for many amateurs (although I agree with Eleanor in that I have seen many with lots of bone/substance). So it really depends on what you are looking for.