Unlimited access >

Need advice on dressage saddles: fitting the horse and the person

I am looking for information on what size saddle I need and what I need to look for to make sure it fits my mare also. The mare is an older Arabian so yes she’s got a higher wither but not quite what I would call a sway back. She’s used to carrying a western saddle and she’s had her fair share of foals before she came to my family 8 years ago so she’s on the wide side to boot. Any suggestions?
I ride in a 17 inch western saddle. What does this translate to in a dressage saddle?

More info would be helpful. Conformation shots of your horse, one from the side of the entire horse and one looking down on the back would e helpful. Secondly, what is your height and weight…(not that all want to share that info!)Seat size is so relative to length of thigh, as well as, your overall conformation.

I would also be interested in knowing some general tips for fitting a dressage saddle! waits for more replies

I have an Arab and trying to find a saddle for him was an ordeal. I read one saddle fitting book that said that Arabs are the worst of all to fit. Great! :eek: So here’s a few hints. 1) Buying a saddle is like buying a bra. You can say you’re a 36B, but that doesn’t mean that all 36Bs fit you well. So I would respectfully suggest that you use saddle sizing as a general guideline, not a guarantee. 2) Before you start trying saddles willy nilly, find a good saddle fitter who understands Arabs and have them suggest some brands and types. Most Arabs do better with a hoop tree rather than a traditional dressage tree. But even a hoop tree didn’t fit my horse well - so no guarantees there either, but it’s a start, especially if she’s wide.

So. Some suggestions: Duett, Smith & Worthington, older Kieffers, Albions, Luc Childeric, Arabian Saddle Co. (which is actually Lovatt & Ricketss). But there is no substitute for doing a tracing and sending it to Kitt Hazelton or Trumbull Mtn and let them pick out a saddle for you. Or a good local saddle fitter.

And then, it’s got to fit you.

It can be done. After shipping quite a few saddles back and forth I ended up buying a Luc Childeric that came out of someone’s trailer at my barn. Great saddle and love it to death. But the second best saddle was a Smith and Worthington from Trumbull Mtn - it was only a hair too wide for him and I really liked the way it felt.

Good luck!!! and take your time to get the best saddle for you and your horse.

Oldernewbie, thanks for the recommendation - much appreciated!

Without seeing the horse in question, it’s not really possible to make much in the way of comprehensive recommendations, sorry. Some Arabs require a hoop tree, and some don’t; many need a shorter, more upswept panel, and the rider needs a swept-back cantle to accommodate their need for a large-enough seat (I’m in R&D on a saddle for a rider who needs a 17" on a horse with about 15" of bearing surface and a back like a propane tank). A conformation shot of your horse (the whole horse, please, not just the back) will give us a lot of info to go with. Knowing your height, weight and inseam and your preferences as far as seat depth and block size would be a help in determining fit for you as well.

I ride in a 17" Circle Y trail saddle, and an Albion Original Comfort dressage saddle in a 19" (this was a consigned, special order saddle). There is one rule of thumb that says 2" difference between English and Western saddles. At least that is a place to start.

[QUOTE=walktrot;7480741]
I ride in a 17" Circle Y trail saddle, and an Albion Original Comfort dressage saddle in a 19" (this was a consigned, special order saddle). There is one rule of thumb that says 2" difference between English and Western saddles. At least that is a place to start.[/QUOTE]

The 2" rule is definitely a starting point.

However, some dressage saddles have very deep seats, which means a smaller sitting surface; others are flatter. If you find, for example, that an 18" saddle feels too small, look for one with a flatter seat. 19" saddles are harder to come by and you also have to take into consideration the length of your horse’s back. The panels may extend too far back in a 19" saddle, especially on an Arabian.