Unlimited access >

Need Advice-Voltaire Saddle Fitting Experience

No. The OP is not going to get her fired. The OP is not in wrong being upset about a fee they did don’t know.
If the rep is making up charges because she isn’t selling enough saddles that’s on her not the OP.

This is is on the rep to make right. And if her relationship with the saddler is terminated there is more going on than this misunderstanding.

5 Likes

OP, you also had every opportunity to ask “What do I owe you for your time today?” throughout the process. Did you expect to get a free recommendation on a saddle so you could go search the used market?

I’d skip corporate. Call a few local, independent fitters and ask what their typical fitting/consultation fee is. Take the average and pay the rep. Tell her there was a misunderstanding and this is the market rate for a consult in the area. I do agree the fee is exorbitant.

Maybe point out to your trainer that this attempt to extort a fee from you could loose her a paying client. It might focus your trainers mind.

2 Likes

No. EVERY fitter I’ve worked with has been up front about fees before they even get started. I’ve worked with N2, Custom, and Voltaire. I’ve actually had a Voltaire rep ask if I’d mind sitting in a dressage saddle because she doesn’t get a lot of feedback from dressage riders and wanted to know what I thought! It was on the rep to be honest UP FRONT. Not weeks later.

14 Likes

The difference is the independent fitters are not paid a salary by a brand. And as a policy, Voltaire does not charge fitting fees.

7 Likes

Actually, yes, it’s reasonable for someone to expect the consultation with a BRAND rep to be free, regardless of whether they buy from the rep or end up shopping the used market. The distinguishing factor is it is a marketing opportunity for the brand. Common courtesy suggests you give the rep the opportunity to locate a used one for you in your budget if that’s what you want but here the rep didn’t seem to have anything or have interest in pursuing it and there would be no reason not to explore other sources if the rep was a dead end. The fee this rep attempted is not normal nor should it have been expected.

4 Likes

I have left out a lot of details from the original post in an attempt to not lose readers as it was lengthy to begin with. Before my consultation with the fitter, I had been researching numerous topics, from used saddles, the saddle fitting process, and brand reviews. In every discussion, post, or website I had come across I surmised that a consult such as this is no fee. I posted to find out if this said fee was “normal”, as I said I do not have any horse friends to consult with. And hey, lets say their policy changed recently, even more so this rep has the obligation to disclose fee’s up front and honestly. The timing and amount of the fee being asked for is suspicious, and way above market average. And what is more worrisome is that she is demanding the payment not Voltaire, which makes me believe this charge was made up on a whim to make her feel better for not making a sale.

Secondly, no, my intention was not to have my measurements taken to look on the used market. I actually knew my measurements before they even arrived, and the consultation was more of me wanting a confirmation from a professional). The original saddle I was offered was pretty pricey for a used saddle so I was considering spending a bit more to buy new. However, after considering it for a couple weeks I decided it was not the right move for me right now. I also offered the rep. the opportunity to work with me to on finding a used saddle, which they made apparent they had no interest on doing so when they couldn’t be bothered to ask for the one that was in their inventory at the time of my meeting.

I have not disagreed on the fact that with some fitters, independent or employed representatives a fee for fitting is owed. However, what can be agreed upon by the numerous posters is that Voltaire the brand in question does not charge. As a first time luxury saddle buyer it is the reps. duty to lead you thru the process, and I find it hard to believe in all this time this “normal fee” has not come up until they were very respectfully told I had brought my business elsewhere.

3 Likes

I bought a new Voltaire from a rep. I didn’t buy at the initial fitting. I also tried Butet and CWD. None of the reps ever charged me a fitting fee, or ever mentioned one. I have never heard of French brand reps charging a fee. No fee was reflected on my invoice when I did decide to go with Voltaire. I am very curious to hear what the corporate office for Voltaire says in response to your inquiry.

1 Like

I also have had fantastic service from our Atlanta rep. She fitted me initially and then found me a used saddle in my size with the FIN panel that I needed. There was no fee and she never once pressured me to buy new. Instead, she searched for this saddle and it showed up a few months after my fitting.

She checked my fit several times over the years that followed and when it was time to change the panels as my horse’s anatomy had changed significantly from aging and solid work combined, she managed the entire situation and had my saddle back to me in a few weeks.

I have never had any crazy charges for any fitting. The Atlanta rep went out of her way to find me what I wanted.

3 Likes

I recently bought a Voltaire. I was up front with the rep that I was interested in used… not new. I am a very common size, and there actually were three available. I was able to get the leather type I wanted in specific, and then the used saddle was repaneled to fit my horse as well. The fitting was honestly more about the horse than it was about me. Additionally, like another individual mentioned, the rep was kind enough to check the fit on my current Dressage saddle on my horse. That saddle is an entirely different brand, and ancient. The rep didn’t mind at all though, and advised riding with a gel half pad with a little extra cushion would be fine for my horse with that saddle given the tree and shape - it fit the horse well but the old wool flocking was compressed. They told me not to bother getting the wool reflocked - it would cost a few hundred with a different unaffiliated fitter who does wool, and honestly, a good half pad would be just fine. There was zero attempt to aggressively sell me either a new OR a used Voltaire Dressage saddle… although I admittedly plan on considering and likely pursuing that in the future. The rep also checked a much older jumping saddle of mine on my horse - also a different brand and wool flocked. It didn’t fit the horse, but the rep took time to show me where the issue was, and advise on whether or not they thought it might fit another horse of mine who is less wide through the wither and shoulders. That horse was at a different barn that day - if the horse had been present, the rep was willing to check it out. Instead, they just took the time to discuss it with me and offer advice and educate me on what to look for in particular when evaluating saddle fit on the horse.

No charge for ANY of this.

I also noticed in your initial post that you mentioned you have just begun riding again as an adult, and are casually lessoning one day per week right now with this trainer. Do you own your own horse, or are you riding one of the trainer’s lesson horses? It doesn’t sound like you own a horse yet - but correct me if I am wrong. If you don’t own your own horse… was the saddle fitting only for you? Or did it also involve fitting a saddle to the lesson horse you are riding. I find it REALLY excessive that anyone would attempt to charge $450 if they weren’t fitting BOTH a rider AND a horse.

I also find it inappropriate to pressure someone just one just getting back into riding as an adult and casually doing once a week lessons to purchase a new Voltaire. if you don’t own your own horse yet… and you buy a horse in a year or two, or start riding a different horse in lessons, and the brand new saddle you just purchased doesn’t fit your new horse or a different lesson horse, you will have to sell that saddle as used, and you will be out THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS. Not fun. Buying used is definitely the correct decision for the description you provided about yourself. It’s a red flag that your trainer and this fitter aren’t telling you that, and informing you about the depreciation hit you might take immediately if that saddle doesn’t fit the next horse you ride.

I’d be polite, courteous and professional, and definitely follow up by phone with Voltaire corporate. I’d also just go ahead and look for a new trainer and barn to ride with. This does not sound like a good situation, nor does it sound ethical. Life is short and horses are expensive, and there are good trainers out there who don’t pull this sort of nonsense with clients.

7 Likes

You WILL get taken advantage of if you are passive in the horse world. Period, paragraph.

Who is telling you that you need a saddle, anyway? No way ever should a 1xweek lesson student be expected to buy their own saddle, especially if they don’t own a horse!! Not unless you are a completely weird fit, which I doubt because it’s just THAT uncommon. Just about as uncommon as a 1xweek lesson student needing to purchase a high end effing saddle!! :no: :mad:

16 Likes

I had a Voltaire rep come out and do a saddle fitting on 4 of my horses (and, of course, for me as well). She spent several hours with me. She did a phenomenal job and I will say that if I can ever buy a saddle from her I will be a happy camper. But it didn’t work out in this case and I did not buy a saddle. She did not charge me for the afternoon. I would be furious if a saddle fitter tried to charge me $450 and even more furious at the trainer for backing up the saddle fitter.

If you had said that she wanted $50-100 I probably would have said, “okay, still sketchy, but better to pay it and just be done with it.” But FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS?! No way, no how. I would be livid!

2 Likes

Sounds like you had a wonderful experience which is what seems the be the majority of experiences. To be fair, my fitting itself was not a bad experience. She answered a ton of my questions, I can be a bit thorough. Because I ride a number of school horses, the saddle fitting was exclusively to fit me. I had known before the fitting was size I needed, so it was a relatively quick process as we just tried a seat size slightly larger and smaller to be sure. Where the service fell off was when I inquired about used saddles, and she brushed over the topic, and did have an attitude such that she would only be making sales if I was buying new.

I would to address the second half of your reply. The reason for wanting to purchase a saddle either new or used for me came from the fact that I am very dedicated to improving my riding. With the school saddles, they tend to put me in very uncomfortable positions such as pitched forward or the flaps might be too long/forward so I am an losing lower body support. At no point have I been pressured to feel like I had to buy a saddle to keep up with the barn. This was my own personal decision wholly. I do not own my own horse yet, so I had decided on going with a Palm Beach that has the pro-panels that are designed to fit a number of horses. I did ask about this topic during my fitting and the rep. did tell me that it is pretty easy to make adjustments to the saddle should I end up with a particularly unique horse. I absolutely kept the future in mind, and as far as depreciation is concerned, Voltaire’s seem to hold their value tremendously and I am sure I will keep it in pristine condition, should a far off chance come that I would have to sell it. I wanted to thank you for bringing up these points as they are definitely important things to consider when purchasing!

@TheJenners I gave a bit of detail regarding my decision to purchase above.

Of course the rep’s own actions are going to cost her her job, but OP coming forward is the only way Voltaire is going to find out about her back door practices. So she would be the catalyst in the firing, which is totally deserved.

OP- don’t feel bad. What she is doing is 100% unethical.

3 Likes

I’m sorry but I disagree with this.

A reputable company should be upfront about any fees they charge. Sorry, just no. I’ve worked with Butet and they came out to my barn for one horse and made sure a used saddle I had already purchased fit my horse. $100. They told me the second I made the appointment.

The OP has every right to contact cooperate. This rep went right over OPs head because she didn’t make a sale. This whole situation is completely on the rep and corporate needs to know- it is not up to the OP to do research and pay the ill-prepared and frankly unprofessional rep.

7 Likes

If you really want to preserve the relationship, offer to buy accessories–say, stirrup leathers and a girth-- from her?

1 Like

I am hoping that Voltaire will weigh in on here directly to clarify their official policy for all of us. They sponsor my daughter’s podcast, I will have her alert them about this thread.

6 Likes

I bought a used Voltaire (from a Devoucoux rep of all places!) and contacted the local Voltaire fitter to come out and make sure it worked for me and my horse. (I figured it would because it was the exact same model my horses previous owner had, just in an 18 vs 17.) I asked straight away about the cost and he didn’t charge me AT ALL.

He was amazing from day one, and we’ve established a good relationship. I see him at shows, and I have subsequently bought leathers, a girth, cleaning products, etc. from him. I even tried to order the hunter bridle (which he recommended against at that time - lol.)

I’m sorry but your experience sounds awful and not what I’ve come to expect from the brand and those associated with it! :frowning:

Hey there. Thanks for your response, and my apologies if I came off as overly harsh, or questioning of you in an unpleasant way. Not my intent at all.

I totally understand pursuing purchasing a different saddle as an adult ammy because you are serious about riding better. That’s exactly why I just went through the process and purchased mine… and it was well worth it, and I am VERY happy.

But I am still truly mystified and see a bright red flag when it comes to anyone buying a brand new Voltaire if they are only doing one lesson a week, and do not own their own horse. The major selling point to me about these saddles was the fit in terms of MY horse. I could have found a NUMBER of less expensive options if I was only focusing on a saddle that fit me. Especially given that I was open to buying from the used market.

It it seems like neither the rep nor (more importantly) your trainer were supporting you in a way they should support a valued, respected client who is willing to invest considerable funds in order to meet goals.

And even if you are a common size… I don’t understand why the rep can’t closely watch used inventory nationwide amongst their network, as well as reach out to other reps or sponsored riders directly, and obtain a Palm Beach that SPECIFICALLY matches your exact measurements within a few months at most. Voltaire has tons of sponsored riders, who do routinely rly upgrade to a newer model, etc, and a great network of reps. It seems like the rep was not on the up and up when telling you that they wouldn’t be able to get a used saddle for you that would fit and meet your goals because all the saddles out there would get snapped up immediately… that doesn’t make sense to me. But I did not purchase a Palm Beach with pro panels. Maybe I am ignorant to issues involving a super limited inventory with respect to that particular model… that is entirely possible :slight_smile: