Unlimited access >

Need Advice-Voltaire Saddle Fitting Experience

For them to charge a fee after the fact because they feel “used” is inappropriate. If a representative for a major brand intends to charge a fee for the fitting, that 100% needs to be disclosed up front.

I think it’s possible that the trainer (who is likely getting a commission or sponsorship related to #s of saddle sales) and the rep (also getting a commission) were counting their commission dollars before they materialized.

For trainers who are sponsored by various saddle brands, there often is a minimum number of saddles that that trainer is expected to facilitate the sale of within their barn each year. So, it is possible that your failure to purchase a new saddle through the rep is an issue WRT your trainer maintaining their own sponsorship. Because your trainer is taking the saddle rep’s side here, I am suspicious that (and I could be totally wrong here) this after the fact fee relates to something more than just the saddle fitter being annoyed that they did an extra fitting.

FWIW, I understand it that a saddle fitter might feel “used” if they made a specific time consuming trip to a barn, did a fitting, and it turned out the person had no intention of buying and simply wanted to get the specs of the saddle that would fit them best so they could shop for a used one on the internet. In that case, the salesperson has several options within their control. They can 1) understand the bigger picture, which is that it is a chance to build their network at a particular barn and there is a possibility that the customer (or one of their friends who might be looking on) could end up buying a new saddle at some point in the future, or 2) offer exactly such a service for a reasonable, discussed up front fee, or 3) do a fitting but not necessarily turn over a list of the specs to the customer at the end of the fitting. Those are all proper, perfectly businesslike options.

I just want to reiterate that having an appointment with a rep is NOT an obligation to buy, and that charging a fee after the fact is a shady business practice no matter what business you are in.

3 Likes

When only one person has an isolated experience where a rep suddenly wants a fee after the fact, and tons of other customers from different locations have never heard of such a thing, I think you can reasonably conclude what happened to the OP is not Voltaire’s official policy!!

To the OP @HoofHeartHome , I bought my CWD while I was riding lease and lesson horses only, because the only available lesson saddle was terrible for my position. I got 4 good years of use out of it, and it had pro panels and fit a lot of horses. Don’t hesitate to get yourself something nice that will fit the type of horse you ride, it will absolutely help your riding and position, and you will still be able to get some resale value out of it if you have to make a change down the road. Get a nice shimmable half pad to keep on hand in case you need to make minor adjustments for different horses, too.

4 Likes

I have two used Voltaire saddles, I know that isn’t their policy but that doesn’t help the OP any. I think It would be wise for the company to reiterate that and make it clear that they made things right in this situation.

3 Likes

I think where the policy really needs to be clarified by the company is with that rep more than on here :lol: That’s what would help the OP! And frankly the company too because not everyone is going to find out that’s not Voltaire’s policy and it reflects poorly on them for the rep to be going around doing that.

I am friends with a higher up in the company. She has been notifed and I gave her email (at her request) to the OP

6 Likes

Honestly hearing stories like this makes me so angry and I think about half my customers have some sort of stories. I do charge a saddle fitting fee, however I always make sure it it known before the appointment and it is not nearly that high even with travel. If I charged that, I would not need to sell anything to make a lot of money, but I would feel awful.

I am an independent fitter and not paid by any company. The saddle fitting fees allows me to stay in business but then keeps my loyality with the customer, not the brands. Just know if you are working with a brand rep, their job is to sell you a new saddle. Some are more obvious about it than others.

4 Likes

I didn’t read the other replies yet but. County pulled the same thing on me. Not until the conclusion of my fitting when I had trailered my horse an hour away to try the various models was I informed by the rep that I would be charged $150 for the fitting if I did not order a saddle from her. Because she was “doing me a favor”, I didn’t have to pay that day, she would give me time to think about what I wanted to do. 🙄🙄🙄. I really didn’t appreciate being thrown under the bus like that.

$450 is absolutely absurd and I would be telling her good luck getting me to pay it. You didn’t agree to pay it, so she can’t collect it, all she can do is threaten you. I would tell her to shove it.

2 Likes

It usually is the policy of a County fitters to charge a fee. They should have been up front about it of course.

Sent you a PM

I don’t have a problem with a fitter (or in this case a rep) charging a fee for the “fitting” but only if the customer is told about the fee in advance and agrees to it. Otherwise, that’s a serious bait and switch. I would not pay. Depending on how peeved I was I might report this to the BBB or the state AG’s office.

2 Likes

Wow, I feel so bad for on that. I recently had my own Voltaire fitting. I believe on their website it states that all fittings are complimentary with zero purchase obligation. I had the fitting, there was no charge at all. The rep was the nicest person ever and was not pushy or aggravated and willing to take however much time was needed. The saddles were wonderful and he really let the product speak for itself. I did end up purchasing but if I had wanted to think on it I am sure he would have had no problem with it. Really just the best experience ever. I have no idea when you were consulted with but if it was recent like within the past few years or so, I know that their fittings have been complimentary whether you buy or not. I am so sorry that was your experience, mine was great and a dream come true. Best of luck with you!!

Do they? What I have seen is this: https://voltairedesign.com/us/content/22-find-your-saddle-expert

“Our highly trained saddle expert will set up an appointment to meet you and your horse for a free saddle trial with no purchase obligation.” IOW the language to me reads a free trial. Not a free fitting. It is certainly carefully worded…

And what I’m reading on this thread is that lots of people who bought a Voltaire didn’t pay a fitting fee. Right - because most companies IMEX charge no fee if you buy a saddle. If you don’t they usually charge a fee for their time.

Having recently bought a saddle, the fee from Stubben, and Täkt was around $100-150 each for a fitting when I didn’t buy a saddle. Devocoux didn’t charge me a fee, and I didn’t place the order. EQ Saddle Science didn’t charge me either - but I ordered a saddle from them.

Obviously from this thread OP, we must compensate people for their time. It’s common knowledge, but the fitters should have mentioned it. And $450 is bonkers. No way.

But I have to ask as someone else did: you’re buying a saddle for once a week lessons that cannot possibly fit all the different horses you ride - surely fit for the horse is the priority? I am hoping you have a saddle fitter or knowledgeable person tack up for you and shim the saddle otherwise you’ll get some unplanned dismounts from your Voltaire. And I have to question a trainer that allows this, if I’m honest.

This thread is from 2019. Hopefully the OP has been able to move on…

As regards the original complaint, I don’t think that is common practice for Voltaire. A large number of people in my barn have Voltaires and I’ve never heard of anyone paying a fee. I certainly haven’t. It sounds shady to me.