Unlimited access >

Need barn suggestions in metro Detroit!

I am moving from Massachusetts to the metro Detroit area in the fall, and I need some barn suggestions! I’m looking for a barn with turnout 7 days a week, at least half day, and an indoor. I’d love to have a place where I could lease her a few days a week… Other than those things, I’m pretty flexible. I definitely need help! Is anyone from this area who can give some suggestions? Thanks!!!

Where in metro Detroit? It will depend on whether you are east or west of the city and how far you are willing to drive.

Everyone has an indoor in Michigan … we wouldn’t survive without one and most if not all have 7 day turnout.

Any other details on what you are looking for? There are lots of great places in Michigan … but more details on what you are looking for would help narrow your search.

Thanks for the reply! I’m living in Royal Oak, and I’ll be working in Detroit, so something within 45 minutes of work and home would be ideal if that’s possible… will be only a very short drive from where 75 and 696 cross. I don’t really need a show barn, but I have a hunter/jumper background so that’s probably where I’d fit in best, although I’m at a more eventer-type barn now. My horse is older, so I won’t be looking to show or do any heavy training programs.

Again, thanks for any advice :slight_smile:

Bloomfield Open Hunt is really close to Royal Oak, but that is pretty expensive. There’s also Rochester Hills Stables, Windermere Equestrian Center, Grosse Pointe Hunt Club, Haverhill Farms, Foxwoode Hunt Club, Huntington Ridge, Willowbrooke Farm, Shenanigans Farm, Win-A-Gin Farms, Arcadia Stables, and Huntsover. Off the top of my head, that’s all I can think of.

Welcome!

I live in Birmingham, 10 min from RO so I know the area. The closest thing to what you are looking for is Springbrook but I think you have to do your own turnout there. It is in Sterling Heights, about 20 min from RO, about 45 from the D. The trainer does mainly B and C stuff, they have a public lesson program, never heard anything bad about the care. Another option might be the Grosse Point Hunt Club but it might require membership. Another B, C barn with public lessons.
Huntsover, Foxwoode and Huntington Ridge are in the Holly area, with traffic about 1:15-1:30 during the week, 30 min from RO. Huntsover and Huntington Ridge do the A circuit.
Oxford (Shenanigans, Old Gold, Win-A-Gin) are going to be farther - 45 w/o traffic, a long time during rush hour due to traffic. But totally worth it if you enjoy trail riding or hunting.
Bloomfield would be ideal but you must be a member and the board is @ $1500/mo.
Don’t bother with Haverhill, the care is lacking. Arcadia doesn’t have an outdoor.
Willowbrooke and Rochester Hills would be 45-1 hour minimun on a Sunday morning.
Depending on what you are looking for, showing, lesson style, etc. I can give you some more info via PM.
Good Luck!

Bloomfield Open Hunt probably is your closest option … but the other poster is correct in saying it is pricey and membership to the club is required and the trainers there are very show oriented.

Grosse Pointe Hunt Club would probably be equidistant from home and work on the east side of the city and would be cheaper than BOH, but I still think you have to join the club and the last time I was there the turnout situation wasn’t ideal.

I don’t know anything about Springbrook in Sterling Heights, but it would be close to your home and work.

If I were you, I would drive a little further (at least if you were coming directly from work) and head to Metamora. You are going to find great turnout there and beautiful farms. Check out Shenanigans, Old Gold and Win a Gin.

Thanks for all of the advice! Do you guys know anything about Windermere? It looks (at least on the map) to be relatively close… Also, West Wind Equestrian in New Hudson? It’s so hard without actually seeing these places… ugh! Also feel free to PM if that makes more sense :slight_smile:

Again, THANK YOU!!!

Many of the barns listed have websites. Check out www.mhja.org and you’ll find a list of barns (with websites) in the area.

Thanks everyone… I did check out some websites and did some mapping, and the best “matches” in terms of distance, etc. seem to be Windermere, Haverhill, and Shenanigans (although that looks close to an hour from where I live). It’s just so hard to guess from webpages what the barns are actually like! Does anyone know anything about Dragonfly Farm in Northville? That’s about 40 minutes.

Royal Oak is pretty central to metro Detroit … so you are going to find that you have to drive at least 30 minutes (probably further … especially if you are working in downtown Detroit) to get out of the urban areas and find decent turnout etc. Welcome to the land of urban sprawl. :wink: Sorry I don’t have specifics on the barns you are asking about … will you be able to do a visit before you arrive?

Yes, definitely. I’ll be out in June for orientation to my new job, and I’ll be able to spend a few days checking out barns then. I’m totally fine with 30-45 minutes driving. Beyond that gets a little trickier, but I’ll definitely do it if it means a better barn for my horse!

I would highly recommend Dragonfly farm. Great facility and trainer. Another thought on the other side of town is Just a Folly Farm. Lots of choices to choose from. You could spend a day the Metamora way checking out barns and trainers and then another day the Northville way. Unfortunately nothing is going to be very close to you. PM me if you want. :wink:

Please PM me. We can chat about local barns :slight_smile:

Sent you a PM :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone for being so helpful!! These suggestions have given me so much to look into :slight_smile: Any other moments of brilliance, please feel free to send along! My mare and I appreciate it!