Unlimited access >

Need boot ideas to protect fetlocks!

I have a 4 yr old OTTB who cannot seem to stop over reaching and hitting himself with his back legs. I have him going in polos right now, but I need a more permanent solution! I was thinking SMBs, but I have heard such bad things about them in the past. Thoughts??

Hard shell open front boots?

I would think just about any kind of brushing boot would help. But, yes, don’t do SMBs.

I really like the open front boots idea, what brand is the best in that department?

Why don’t people like SMBs? I really think it is just a culture thing, another kool-aid that everyone wants to be in on. Yes, they can retain heat - but so can every other boot on the market. They don’t hold water, but they do get a little heavier when wet - but so do Woof boots. They protect the entire cannon bone… Would you do a prelim+ course with them? Probably not… but they are perfect for protecting the limb from hooves, other objects, etc.

I’ve been using SMBs for years and they have saved my horse’s legs from everything from metal punctures to brambles/briars and interference.

I have a pair of Snowbees that are great for protecting limbs from interference, and would highly suggest them or Woof strike boots if you go that route.

I’m not a big fan of SMBs. I’ve had them in the past but just think there are better choices for the cost. I use mostly fleece lined boots for daily work (Heidi boots) and the breathable woof boots when it is wetter out. And have an assortment of xc boots and open front for competitions.

For fronts I’ve been using the Majyk Equipe boots which I so far love (used them for about 2 months now, one horse 4-5 times a week). Previously to those I had the Ecogold XC boots, which I also loved but are a little more expensive then the ME boots.

Hinds I use the fleece lined boots (I have three different pairs, the dover brand, which is nice but not quite as tall as I like, the smartpak brand which actually had held up really well considering I didn’t think they were as thick as the dover brand but they are much taller, and another off brand).

My mare tends to travel close in her hind legs and usually rubs her boots together, depending on what we are doing.

FYI, Cloud9 is my kid and a poor college student, so inexpensive options are appreciated.

[QUOTE=IFG;7423511]
FYI, Cloud9 is my kid and a poor college student, so inexpensive options are appreciated.[/QUOTE]

When I was a poor student–I used the woof cub boots. They worked just fine and come in a lot of colors. http://www.doversaddlery.com/woof-all-purpose-boot/p/X1-04348/?ids=34aopivase4wz3z3bgekjqnt They offer more protection than just polos.

I have to say those fleece lined boots from smart pak that someone posted look interesting as well. I like the fleece ones as I just throw them in the wash and they are just easy. But I don’t like the ones with too hard of a shell in them as they seem to spin more. https://www.smartpakequine.com/sport-boots-2594p

The ones I use now are more expensive. I do find that sometimes you get what you pay for, and the more expensive boots last longer. It’s when you get the more expensive boots and they DON’T last that sucks!

Thanks BFNE :).

These are actually cheap and have held up great. I have both front and hind. They don’t trap water and provide good protection for basic interference for under $50.

Thank you all so much! I now have a lot of different options to choose from :slight_smile:

How about some run downs like what the Standardbred folks or western folks use?