Unlimited access >

Need COTH Help on Hay Huts, Bale Barns, Etc.

While I really like the round bale rings with attached netting, especially if you have a covered place to put one, I do still prefer my hay huts. I have two. I also have a round bale hay net and think they do help but have found that putting our round bales on a plastic postal pallet and then covered by the hay hut works quite well together. The hay net made the bales last just a couple of days longer in my case, so not a huge benefit for the additional bother of putting it on. What I really like about the hay huts though, is the protection from sun and rain, particularly at this time of year where the grass is coming in and the horses are now grazing a fair bit, but still consuming their round bales albeit at a slower pace. Having the round bales in the hay huts, if it takes them a couple of weeks to a month to consume all of the hay, at least it is somewhat protected from the elements and I don’t feel like I need to go out and throw a tarp over an uncovered bale when it’s monsooning for a few days.

3 Likes

We got the Hay Hut and I also ordered a slow-feed hay net. So far it’s working great and I don’t have hay laying around the fields. Really excited. Thanks everyone!

5 Likes

Reported for advertising.

I think a person is allowed to post in a current thread about a topic that their product applies to.

I built a covered round feeder that uses a hay net. I ran a rope around the perimeter of the hay net and put clips every 2-3 feet. I unclip the net, set a new bale in, clip the net back in place and I’m good to go for a couple weeks.

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“large”,“data-attachmentid”:10179010}[/ATTACH]
I tend to over build stuff. Total cost was $1100.

IMG_1340.JPG

2 Likes

I posted this once before on here: Last year I went to visit Habitat for Horses, a big rescue here in Houston. At the time of my visit, the volunteers were dealing with severe facial injuries on a mare who’d sliced her face up on a Hay Hut. She somehow startled while her head was in it and got a huge gash down the length of her face.

I would say that may apply to regular posters.

New poster’s first post/s, that does seem spamming, advertising without paying for it?

@Madhouse why did you put the vertical bars in your feeder?

To keep the horses from trying to step into the feeder. They are 1.25" Schd 40 galvanized pipe - plenty strong and won’t rust.

1 Like

I have the bale barn and highly recommend it. its one solid piece and flexible less to break and fall apart. I have had mine 3 years now and boy does it save me time and money. They are worth every penny

I am also a very happy HayHut owner! I bought my hayhut in November 2016 and have never looked back. I used to use a large net to cover my round bales, but then it got so filthy and frozen to the ground, I quit using it. Earlier this year, I found that there is Net Kits for the HayHuts now. I bought one and have only used it with 2 round bales so far, but it beats everything else I’ve tried.

1 Like

Hay cradle; https://www.agrisupply.com/hay-cradle-galvanized/p/89765/

1 Like

Tarter makes a hay cradle as well, sold here by TS and Rural King.

1 Like

I have been using compressed bales from Larsen hay. I get the half size pasture bales - about 450 lbs. The bale is compressed so tightly that it’s better than a slow feeder net. I ahve a covered run in shelter and a rack that holds it off the ground, but I know folks who put them directly in the field (maybe on a pallet) and, since they are so tightly packed, have little problem with typical rain (altho if it monsoons the bale will get wet.)

1 Like

I know this is a late response, but I just saw this post. As stated above, I have two hay huts which are made out of a rubbery plastic so I find it hard to believe a horse could somehow be cut by one. Perhaps by a hay cradle resting within the hut, if you were pairing one of those with it, but otherwise, I just don’t buy it. I’ve used mine with all kinds of horses for a number of years now and not the first injury of any kind and find them pretty idiot proof. The idiots being horses who seem to find myriad ways to injure themselves, but alas, not on hay huts. My husband, daughter and I have flipped them over and muscled them around to move them about, and again, no injuries to us either.

1 Like

For Dressage 69. I thought you might like to view this Boyd Martin video endorsement in which you will see the latest integral hay net fitted to a HayHut so absolutely no extra work required for netting once fitted and absolutely no wasted hay. Net is available in 5 mesh hole sizes up to 2 1/4".- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sezp38kp3BI
would be very interested to hear your experience with HayHut and net in the past year and particularly what mesh size you are using.

1 Like

Hay hut with Cinch Chix net and regular 1" hay nets. I double the hay nets and rarely have any wasted hay. My hay hut is 8 years old and doing well.

3 Likes

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oSwss8yrvW2qEk7ZA :winkgrin: You’re Welcome! Freakin’ ponies. :cool: And not a mark on him.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QRK55hhVCXVT61Jg7

2 Likes

Ha!!! Glad he’s okay! Did he get back out on his own or did you have to tip it onto its side for him?

1 Like

I had to tip it over for him. Squished in there with the round bale, he couldn’t figure out how to lift his knees back up over the lip of a window. Idiot! :lol: Sweetest guy and obviously not much bothers him. He’s was just very thirsty as he had evidently been in there for a while. Apparently, that was one of those, “Well it seemed like a good idea at the time” moments.

1 Like