Unlimited access >

Need COTH Help on Hay Huts, Bale Barns, Etc.

OMG that was your video on the Fjord fb group? I laughed SO hard when I saw that!

(And yes, I thought it could just as easily be Xan)

1 Like

Yes, that was me and that is him.

2 Likes

Brian please contact me through the hayhuts.com website - ‘contact us’ tab

Hello all,

So I realize this is an extremely tardy response to the Bale Barn vs Hay Hut dilemma. However, last year after much reading online, I opted to purchase a Bale Barn and spent the extra $$ for the slow feeder net inside. My patient husband drove over three hours with me one-way to pick this thing up in the six foot bed of our truck. It was a very long, aerodynamically unsound, and slow drive home (the Bale Barn was upside down in the truck bed eeeeeek!) – but we arrived home safely 11/13/2021. The Bale Barn was awesome, the slow feeder net attached inside flawlessly covered the round bales we put under it. And it saved hay, literally no waste, the horses didn’t kill each other trying eat hay – everyone was happy. This season so far I have only used the Bale Barn for two round bales. And while covering the second earlier today I noticed cracks in at least six of the eight openings (!!). Today is unseasonably warm (44 degrees and sunny) so I repaired/covered the cracked edges best I could with Gorilla brand duct tape. Has anyone else experienced premature cracking on their Bale Barn? On one of the cracks a piece was missing entirely creating a hazard to horse’s eyes/faces with a sharp edge. Obviously, I’m rather disappointed having invested so much $$ in something I had hoped would be a safe, long lasting, round bale feeder. Thanks in advance for your thoughts/experiences.

1 Like

@Six_Pack_of_Ponies - interesting about the cracking. I’ve had that happen with one Hay Hut (have had same 2 for years now) that I was using on uneven ground and totally blame the cracking on user-error because the other hat hut used on flat ground has not had any issues at all and I feed 20 something round bales through the winter. So. Long story short, if you are using on uneven ground causing shearing, that may be your problem.

ETA: Just wanted to say that even cracked, there are no sharp edges or pieces coming off the Hay Hut, just some displacement and the thing still works fine.

1 Like

I have had enough lacerations causing serious blemish/scarring from roundbale rings, hay huts, and hay saving devices that I refuse to put one in a pasture anymore.

I dont care if they waste, they are hay burners after all.

3 Likes

I have 2 bale barns with nets. I’ve had them for two years and they are fantastic, a huge time and money saver. My guys also seem to argue much less about hay. I can manage it by myself to which is nice

2 Likes

My horses have been eating from hay nets for the past 8 years and their teeth are not wearing any differently than before. They are all senior horses.

I don’t have any experience with slow feeders that have plastic or metal grates, but I’d think those would damage teeth.

Count me as someone who doesn’t like hay huts. I don’t like the horses sticking their heads in, and I am leary of the moisture level that stays in them. I’m not wanting to flip them over…well, you get it. I also do not have a machine here other than the Gator.

So, I use the round hay racks, with nets in them for small squares. They are functional, and I can handle them.

However, I have two rescues that I am “fostering”, and a donk that I keep at a beautiful place 1/2 mile up the street from me. I use large rounds there. I found that I could buy heavy duty plastic pallets that are 37" by 37", by about 6" thick. They have very small holes- like 1" by 1" on one side, which is the side I keep turned toward the horses, and larger spaces on the other. I use seven of them, and they are tied top and bottom snug against each other standing up. I can roll the round bale in (with help), tie the pallets shut, and it keeps the hay in, and the horses off of the hay. Keeping them tied up tight makes them stay standing. When they eat to the bottom, I cut the string between two, and open them up to roll a new bale in. I can clean out what I need to, and it seems to be very efficient.

I hate wooden pallets, and anything that horses might kick or run into that might splinter. I was able to find the pallets for $10 each, delivered. They seem to be relatively safe, they won’t rot, and they are not fragile.

That’s my hay trap!

Hi Again,

Thanks for the input & comments related to my cracking Bale Barn (or Hay Bonnet as they are sometimes called). After reporting this issue to the manufacturer, I must say they have been very kind – shared there was a “bad batch” of Bale Barns created with inferior materials and would be issuing a credit to the distributor from where I purchased the Bale Barn. Which will ultimately result in a refund or replacement. Since wanting to try the Hay Hut in the interim, I actually forked over the $$ and got a Hay Hut which was delivered to my house (:slight_smile:) YAY Still seeking a slow feeder net to fit it – since my horses are prone to yanking hay out and finding it undesirable. I have to say absolutely zero wasted with the Bale Barn cracked as it is with the slow feeder net. Love everything about it aside from the unfortunate cracking. Not sure if offered the replacement Bale Barn will fly with my husband since it’s a long journey to pick it up. Now if it would be delivered, I’m all in. @FatCatFarm I have the Bale Barn on the flatest ground I can find (though not absolutely flat) certainly not on a hillside though of which I have a few LOL. Thanks again for your time & thoughts.

If you scroll down this page, there’s a hay hut net kit. I’m on year 2 of using it and I love it. Also the hay guys who deliver my hay love it as well, it’s super easy to work with (I hear about the trials and tribulations with putting it in the hay bag first and then putting it under the hut).

I have the hay on a pallet under the hut/net. We just remove the top two thirds of hay netting then drop the hut+net over it. I used to remove the hay netting entirely but some round bales don’t hold their shape and putting the hut/net over a rapidly dissolving round bale is its own special kind of hell. This works perfectly. Once the bale is below the window line it’s easy to unhook the net which makes it easy for them to finish the hay without dragging it outside the hut and for me to retrieve what’s left of the bale netting.

There only reason the net isn’t the best thing I ever bought is because the hay hut is!

2 Likes