Unlimited access >

Need helmet deoderizer

Dunno about helmets, but after i thoroughly wash a persian rug, it always has an ‘aroma’ and to finish the job, i lay them on a clean area of the lawn and turn them over …back and forth every day until they are dry. The earth leaches out ALLLLL smell, and the sun bakes them clean. Anything else i have that cannot be washed, i do the same thing to…just lay it out on the grass and turn it over a couple of days. Works on all kinds of wool things…

Thanks everybody!! I don’t think leaving the helmet out in the sun will be a regular option for me. I have no interest in putting any kind of smelly oil in it and am skeptical about CO’s combination cleaner/deoderizer because I can’t remove the liner. Winter green alcohol spray is intriguing to me and charcoal bags sound good too. :+1:

You know that is probably also essential oil dispersed in a carrier, right? My mix is just a few drops of oil in the vodka so basically the same thing. It is not greasy/oily, but I can see avoiding anything that might build up if your liner is not removeable. I didn’t know non-removeable liners were still a thing, but I’ve only used two brands of helmets in the past 10 years.

1 Like

SAME - religiously. No more odor issues.

1 Like

This stuff is a miracle - saved my helmet that had gotten so nasty I almost pitched it. https://www.rei.com/product/852525/mcnett-mirazyme-odor-eliminator-8-fl-oz

Since I got my new helmet - regrettably without a removable liner - I wipe the headband with a Burts Bees cucumber sage facial wipe after each sweat-inducing ride, after using the wipe on my face. It’s definitely kept the funk at bay.

1 Like

Update: I’m using winter green alcohol spray for now and it’s fine, but I don’t love the smell. I don’t drink or I would have been all over the vodka suggestions :crazy_face: I think I’m going to buy a friend some vodka with the stipulation that I get about a cup or so to try in my helmet. I’d like to get close to the old CO deoderizer citrus scent. I ordered the MOSS spray, but the smell was too much, and it felt like it was leaving a residue. I left it out for general use and it’s been very popular with some of my barn mates, though.