Unlimited access >

Need help! How to ride quicker, having time faults!

The video is very helpful to see!

Like all things with horses, there is not just one issue going on, and the various issues are all inter-related.

To address the specific issue of time taken on course and to eliminate the time fault issue:

Time taken on course involves

1. pace (rate of speed) and

2. track (the path you follow)

It’s often overlooked that the rate of speed which on which time allowed is computed is faster than the canter that most people normally school in on the flat, or even when they are jumping at home and in the typically crowded horse show warm-up area.

In order for your horse to be rideable at a faster rate of speed, you need be able to work at that faster pace on an everyday basis, i.e. it should be an ordinary working gait for both you, and your horse. It takes fitness (mental as well as physical) on the part of both horse and rider to be able to do that.

“A faster pace” has a couple of different components:

a) tempo
b) length of stride

You need to spend time at home working with your horse on the flat, and then over rails and little jumps, in your comfort zone at first, but then pushing the envelope in all directions on both those components till you have developed quite a lot of elasticity, which involves ensuring that your horse responds to you promptly, whether you want to go or stop.

As it is, it looks like he’s a little slow to respond to either wish* (sending you an exercise to help with this via PM)–you have to drop his mouth to get him to go, then he goes too much and gets heavy when you need him to come back–neither of you are particularly free to concentrate on jumping the actual jumps or what comes next; though he seems to have plenty of scope to make up for that at this height, you are feeling the consequence of these shortcomings when you try to go bigger. Stay at this height till you get it worked out–then, if all else goes well you’ll be able to go right up the levels after that.

With a more rideable horse, you’ll be able to take the short routes, and you’ll also realize that the shorter turns can help you force the issue of lightness and control–but it won’t be an experiment you need to perform under competition conditions if you have already tested it working at home over rails, cavaletti and small jumps. Get your horse so you can gallop fast at home and still stay light in your hand even over jumps.

When you think you have it right, take some time to measure out a track at home, with jumps (they don’t have to be competition height), figure out what the time allowed should be, and have someone run a stopwatch while you jump it. You’ll see then what progress you’ve made in tackling the problem, without spending money to compete and get no ribbon. Once you have internalized what it feels like to be at a competition pace, and you’ve gotten your horse to be rideable at that pace, you should have the issue of time faults solved.

I’m from Estonia, so I get the Baltic States lack of horse trainers problem :lol:

But you really do ride very well! Kudos. It is sometimes quite difficult, especially in an indoor, to let the horse go. I understood that first hand today. Especially with a bigger horse, it seems like they’re running like hell when they’re really slow as a snail :winkgrin:

Try to get a really good “dressage” canter, really forward with impulsion, but not rushing. Try cavaletti exercises and lots of canter/trot and canter/walk transitions. They get the horse sitting more.

The place you want to make up time is on the landings and in the turns, not in front of the jumps. Practice “riding away” a bit harder, and try to shave a step or two going into the turns. Then, you should be able to balance up and ride the next jump exactly as you do now.

When you walk the course, plan a couple of places to make up time. Take an inside turn to an easy single, put a little angle on a solid wall, or plan to gallop a bit hard to the first couple of jumps. Then you can take more time to the tricky places like combinations, skinnies, etc.

You don’t need to fundamentally change your ride. Just find places to be a bit smarter about time and track and you’ll be there.

Sorry no help here but - is that the same arena as the infamous video of the horse that jumps after the rider falls off?

Could you possibly move down for a show or two, maybe to the 1.05 or 1.10, and work on practicing your turns? I feel like that would give you more confidence, as well, your horse will be able to help you even if there are some non-perfect distances.

[QUOTE=fourfAlter;8036449]
Could you possibly move down for a show or two, maybe to the 1.05 or 1.10, and work on practicing your turns? I feel like that would give you more confidence, as well, your horse will be able to help you even if there are some non-perfect distances.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I was going to suggest!! I think it would be a good idea to drop down and focus on your turning and getting him to open up. Much less scary at a lower height, and he can help you out with distances. Then when you move back to 1.20/1.30 you can go out and win!