Unlimited access >

NEED Mane Samples for Research

[QUOTE=Aly.Maxian;8590297]
I would want to go out to the farms and possibly ride the horses opinion[/QUOTE]

Bwahahahahahahhahaaaaaa, no. What on earth would ever make you think that “horse” people would agree to having someone completely unknown hop on their horses? That’s either plain delusional or incredibly, sadly naive. The good news is that naivete might wear off eventually with enough exposure to The Real World.

Good luck with your “research”!

Yes all horses can jump, some do better than others, and some have gone to the olympics while others have a hard time going over a 2ft jump with proper form. I am taking a statistics class, so that is why I need varied samples. Some that can jump great and others that can’t jump well. The more variety I have, the better the results will be.

Thank you

[QUOTE=Red Barn;8591465]
That did cross my mind, actually, since I don’t believe for a nanosecond that any sane person would “give the reins to this research” over to this kid. On second thought, though, my sense is that she’s just goofing around here, and is probably perfectly harmless.

Now, if six months go by and I start seeing ads for “JumpGen - scientifically proven to improve sport horse breeding and performance in all disciplines!” I’ll be kicking myself. But hey, I’d rather not pick on a “horse” girl if I can help it, y’know?

:lol:[/QUOTE]

Thank you Red Barn. Yes he shouldn’t have given me the “reins to the research project” he should have helped me and given me some ideas, because yes I am new to doing research.

Also, I am not goofing around. I am NOT a “kid” who would goof around on a public forum. I am honestly trying to do my best that I know. Therefore, I appreciate the helpful comments.

Thank you as well, I am harmless. I just want the names of people so I can keep track on who sent me samples and if they wanted to know the results about their horses. That is all :slight_smile:

I am sorry to all I have offended. I didn’t mean it. I guess that is why I like talking over the phone or meeting someone instead so there are no assumptions.

Are there any more questions?

Why do you need DNA for a statistics class?

[QUOTE=Aly.Maxian;8598007]
Yes all horses can jump, some do better than others, and some have gone to the olympics while others have a hard time going over a 2ft jump with proper form. I am taking a statistics class, so that is why I need varied samples. Some that can jump great and others that can’t jump well. The more variety I have, the better the results will be.

Thank you[/QUOTE]

There are varied samples just in these horses in general. You are making things far more complicated adding the DNA to come up with “statistics”. Research the horses that compete well in International Competition and compare them to local schooling horses and their breed, training (could add country of training), starting age, rider, and bloodlines (etc…).

[QUOTE=Highflyer;8598079]
Why do you need DNA for a statistics class?[/QUOTE]

I presume to correlate genetic markers with jumping ability.

Couple things:

1. You don’t need “varied” samples, you need random samples that represent the population. This sampling method (asking on a forum) is not random.
  2. Your method for quantifying “jumping ability” seems very subjective, and will likely not lend itself well to statistical analysis. The potential for confounding factors, multiple interactions etc is also really high. I hope this is an advanced statistics class. (I would use some sort of machine learning model for this type of problem. Certainly nothing univariate/parametric).
  3. Mixing animal subject, human participants and a for-profit company is an ethics nightmare. Your university should have a research ethics department or representative who can guide you. At the moment, you are not following the proper procedures recommended by any of the universities I have had experience with. Be very careful! By being so cavalier with personally identifiable information (PII), animal subjects and for-profit businesses, you could wind up in a serious heap of trouble.

Noticed your use of the word “opinion” several times? Like your opinion of the horses thse samples come from and need to personally speak with the owners who will offer their opinions? For data compilation in a Statistics course project? Might want to rethink that.

Good point. Research is absolutely pointless without objective criteria.
You’d do well to exclude riders that do not compete, as you have zero way to measure that horse’s ability, aside from the very subjective owner’s opinion (who may or may not have any clue about what proper form is).
You have no limits on the population, so no way to determine how age and past injury may be affecting data.
Similarly, you say proper form, but disciplines such as jumper and eventing do not judge horses on form, just results. A brave, stocky draft X may do better than a fancy TB at lower level eventing despite the TB having picture-perfect knees and bascule. Decide which you actually want to measure.

Objective criteria might be things like
Show rating in horse’s peak years: unrated / A / Nationals / Grand Prix
Greatest height jumped in competition
Show record in peak years, such as "Ribbons were earned in 1) >=75% of classes entered. 2) 50-74% of classes 3) 25-49% 4) 0-24%
If form does matter, find a way to make it objective, such as
Upper leg at least parallel to ground or knees pointing down?
Lower leg tucked within xxx inches of upper leg? (whatever, I’m just making this up)

OP, Can you state definitively that your data and samples will in no way ever be used in commercial business(es)?