Need opinions on this 2 yr old aqha geldings conformation

2 Likes

He looks like an appendix, it’s hard to tell with QHs because often they are preferred to be downhill for some reason. Is he related to the beef steak behind him?

1 Like

Very cute but do you want to do AQHA hunt seat or AA H/J?

For AA H/J I’d be concerned about his small feet, left fetlock, and the current distance from knee to hock- I just think he looks prime to stay downhill.

For an AQHA Hunt Seater he looks to be very typey and if he’s slow legged enough very competitive.

5 Likes

TINY feet. TEENY TINY.

Better get a forward cut girth for how deep his withers go into his back, and saddle fit might be a little complicated (or not, would need more photos). His hip isn’t big enough to match his front end. Throatlatch is thick. Back at the knee so no (or extremely low) jumping. Is he parrot mouthed?

By the feet alone, he would be a hard pass for me. Look how tiny the off hind hoof is! Yikes!

10 Likes

I always look at a horse by first looking at its feet. Go no further. I can not see this horse staying sound or being able to do much work. Could well be wrong but why buy an obvious problem?

7 Likes

Lovely to look at, lovely type, but agree that he is not a good prospect for jumping work due to his downhill build and poor lower leg/hoof confirmation.

1 Like

The downhill aspect could be because he’s two. A lot of horses’ hind ends seem to grow before their front ends can catch up. But of course, you won’t know if that’s true with this horse for a year or two.

I don’t think I can tell if the feet are teeny tiny or not. To me, they look like hooves; I’d have to see some better photos of the feet themselves to say much about them. But It may be that I don’t have the eye that others do.

The back legs seem mighty straight to me, though. Again, this could be a baby thing, but that’s the problem–buying a two-year-old is a gamble.

If you have some video of him moving W-T-C under saddle, it might be easier to say more about him.

5 Likes

Ouch on some of the critiques, hope they plan on giving him away for free based on some of them.

5 Likes

Small feet, upright fetlocks, short back. Looks like he’d have a short mincey stride, no long flow covers ground hunter type.

3 Likes

Thanks for the laugh. I have an Appendix (which I think this horse is as well) but it’s too late for me. I own mine though I wonder if would have bought her if I’d put her picture up for a critique!

I would have thought full hunt bred like Invitation Only et al.

Wasn’t he ROM’d in Western Pleasure? I would presume bc we’re on a Hunter forum that the OP is looking for hunter movement.

1 Like

sorry you are right.

I just rode western pleasure horses for the last 10 years and tried to turn one into a hunter and couldn’t get a single one anything higher than a schooling show to make the lines. They all placed well in the hack though! And they all looked like the OP horse.

2 Likes

Wrong thread

I think he looks like an attractive tall hunter under saddle prospect for AQHA. Long legs, nice neck, attractive head, typical downhill build. Good dark color. Looks like the type they ask 5 figures for.

Most AQHA and many Appendix ( even super tall horses) do not have the natural canter stride length that lends to a competition horse at USEF sanctioned rated (3’+) hunter divisions. They are bred to be the exact opposite actually. They can make reliable fun short stirrup hunters and lower jumpers though.

3 Likes

What is his breeding? I have 3 appendix-quarter horses and all were relatively awkward as 2-year olds. All of my guys kept growing until they turned 5 with the smallest at 16.2 and largest at 18h. Do you have any more photos?