Unlimited access >

need some advice for sluggish horse

I have a really personality filled gelding. He is 4, and usually into everything. Two days ago, I gave him 5-way and Rhino. I gave the five way before, but not the Rhino. Today, his head hung low- and just not himself. Little bit lethargic and sluggish. I’m worried about him.
He is pooping, drinking, and eating for sure.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Could it be the shot?

It absolutely could be the vaccine. What the horses usually have a reaction to is the adjuvant. That’s the additive that “enhances” the effect of the immunization (or more correctly, the way the horses immune system responds to it ). Did you give him some bute? If the shots are to blame, it sure would make him feel better. :wink:
I would take his temp, and keep a close eye on him though.

Thank you, much appreciated! I will keep a close eye on him, and maybe find some bute! :slight_smile:

Vaccines often make them feel a little puny. As long as he’s eating, drinking and pooping, I wouldn’t worry :slight_smile:

You may want to consider using a different brand next year, or splitting the various vaccines and giving them several days apart. But honestly, just a little depressed is not an unusual or terrible reaction.

Just out of curiosity, what brand did you use? I have a vaccine sensitive horse (she gets sore enough to not eat or drink) and she does very well on the Vetera brand.

Sometimes just the body mounting an immune response will make the horse (or human for that matter) feel a little off.

I’d keep an eye on him but it’s not an uncommon reaction. He should shake it off in another day or so.

Like the others have said, probably just vaccine reaction. Take temp, keep an eye on him. Will likely be fine by Monday.

For future ref: Years ago, I had a vet tell me to go for a good ride or lunge my horses after they got their shots. Apparently helps move the vaccine through their body in some way that they don’t feel so punky. The only time in 10+ years I didn’t exercise them, they were both dopey for several days.

[QUOTE=fjordmom;7612411]
For future ref: Years ago, I had a vet tell me to go for a good ride or lunge my horses after they got their shots. Apparently helps move the vaccine through their body in some way that they don’t feel so punky. The only time in 10+ years I didn’t exercise them, they were both dopey for several days.[/QUOTE]

I have heard exercise is good after the vaccines because it helps to prevent stiffness/soreness in the neck.

I’ve never had a horse who was sensitive to vaccines, though, (knock on wood) and I’ve never noticed a difference either way.