Unlimited access >

Need some advice on hay storage

I just purchased enough hay to last my one horse through to the summer. There is a rumoured hay shortage and I need to get my stuff tested - so I bought enough to last. A friend kindly let me use space in an unused hay loft on his property. Less than a month later it is already going moldy. It is not the quality of the hay as I have a ton where I board my horse and it’s perfectly fine. It’s also from a supplier I have used for years and the same hay I usually get - orchard grass.

The loft itself is completely dry and has ventilation from all sides. The bales are on pallets and there is enough of a gap between bales to allow airflow. The hayloft is alongside a creek so the air does get damp - I live in British Columbia (pacific northwest) the air is damp here anyway. I did some research before stocking up on all this hay and followed the recommendation to throw salt on the hay. Rock salt apparently is supposed to absorb moisture and prevent mold. It seems to have done the opposite…it’s attracted moisture all right - right onto my hay. The only place that was wet was were the salt was. As damage control I spread bedding pellets all over my hay and on the floor around it. It absorbed a lot of the moisture but the mold hasn’t stopped. At this point the mold is only on the end outside bales (black spots and white fluffy stuff) and only very little of it. I pulled chunks of hay out to try and stop it but not sure it’s working.

I need to get control of this before I lose the entire load. Does anyone have any suggestions.

I should also mention that I really have no where else to move this hay. I have a double garage at home that I could put it in but am concerned about it being a fire hazard.

I am not familiar with how to do things in your climate, but can you get rid of that salt? Any possibility of running a fan?

I am taking a shop vac down this weekend and am going to vacuum up the salt. I can’t hook up a permanent fan but can run an extension cord and blow it out at least until it dried. Someone suggested a hairdryer which I initially laughed at but am now thinking it might not be a bad idea -especially for the really wet spots.

OP this caught my interest and I’ve been doing some googling on the subject. One of the results was this book from 1807 and it seems to describe exactly what you’re going through. Unfortunately it doesn’t have a solution. Are these small squares, I hope? I would take the stack apart and brush/knock that salt out of there and then restack. Unless you can reach it all with the shop vac.

https://books.google.com/books?id=yflAAQAAMAAJ&pg=PT948&lpg=PT948&dq=salt+attracting+moisture+on+hay&source=bl&ots=C7jsYq6Wie&sig=qJWlia8X43oWZ7CIJldCARrc9ts&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CC4Q6AEwA2oVChMIxIHCjrHZyAIVkCaICh3rSQUu#v=onepage&q=salt%20attracting%20moisture%20on%20hay&f=false

Wow, serious research chops, Cowboymom!

:lol: It was all google! I take no credit!

I’m in a similar environment (wet, humid, coastal). I don’t do anything special in my hay loft. I’ve had issues with hay going moldy when I tried storing it in a tractor trailer body or in some unused stalls. Even though it was on pallets and we had the top half of the doors open. Though I’m not convinced that hay wasn’t bad to begin with.

We have a shed (2 walls and a roof) and we’ve stored hay there before without issues. I’d be more concerned about hay going moldy in a garage vs fire, especially with the wet environment.

What you experienced is why I can’t offer my horses free choice loose salt…it just becomes a soupy mess.

I’d just discard all the wet, salted bales, and discard anything else that’s wet.

Awesome thank you - will print and read this when I get home this evening. And yes, I will be removing any and all salt!

Thank you.