Unlimited access >

Need some guidance

I can’t find the contract that I have with the owner of the barn were I am keeping my horse. Yesterday I received a phone call saying my horse had jumped the fence and possible went through barbed wire (Later found out differently). But that he was “ok” and didn’t need me to come see him.

I made it out there an hour and a half later and he had cut marks from his chest to his butt and 3 shallow puncture marks on his shoulder as well as a “v” slice on his leg.

I found out that they had a new horse they had gotten on Saturday out with him… oh wait… a stallion.

This stallion ran my horse through the fence. My guy is the bottom of the totem pole and has gotten along with anyone put with him.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

[QUOTE=Kbug0311;8128527]
I can’t find the contract that I have with the owner of the barn were I am keeping my horse. Yesterday I received a phone call saying my horse had jumped the fence and possible went through barbed wire (Later found out differently). But that he was “ok” and didn’t need me to come see him.

I made it out there an hour and a half later and he had cut marks from his chest to his butt and 3 shallow puncture marks on his shoulder as well as a “v” slice on his leg.

I found out that they had a new horse they had gotten on Saturday out with him… oh wait… a stallion.

This stallion ran my horse through the fence. My guy is the bottom of the totem pole and has gotten along with anyone put with him.

Any thoughts on what I should do?[/QUOTE]

Odds are your boarding contract doesn’t have a “no turn out with stallion clause”.

What the BO was stupid and put your horse’s life in jeopardy. Give your 30 day notice and get the heck out of there.

I hope they offered to pay any vet expenses.

I am so sorry to hear… hope your horse is OK and vet has been called. Yes, in the mean time, find somewhere else to go.

If you find the contract, see if it has any clause about what you can do if they break the contract re: negligent care. IMHO I’d be leaving, TODAY.

I wouldn’t even worry about the contract. Pay the next thirty days just to avoid the fight and move your horse tomorrow.

Do not tell current barn owner you are moving. Find a new place and move ASAP. Give current barn owner a month’s board in lieu of notice.

OP. move.

Thanks for your feedback! I’ve been so flustered and frustrated by this, your words really helped

Move. They aren’t going to admit they were stupid and pay the vet and you can’t prove otherwise. Plus you’d be leaving the horse in their care while fighting with them so it’s not worth it.

Chalk it up as a learning experience.

I agree with the others. You can’t fix stupid. I assume that they don’t have care, custody and control coverage, as I think you have a great claim for negligence. I figure anyone who would turn out a new stallion in a group, would hardly be bright enough to have proper insurance for their business.

[QUOTE=Kbug0311;8128527]
that he was “ok” and didn’t need me to come see him. [/QUOTE]

he had cut marks from his chest to his butt and 3 shallow puncture marks on his shoulder as well as a “v” slice on his leg.

Nice.

WTF

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Leave. ASAP.

Just out of curiosity:
What was your BO’s logic behind this ridiculously dangerous and stupid idea of his/hers?
Have you talked to the stallion’s owner?

So they turned two horses out without staying to make sure no one’s an idiot? (Stallion’s beside the point–our barn had a tyrant pony gelding who liked to run new pasture mates around where some could handle him and some couldn’t, and one mare who wound up alone after she scared everyone else-Lucky nearly crushed me when she charged him as I was trying to get him out the gate-and when the tyrant pony was tried with her after ten minutes he broke the top board of the fence trying to get away. Hence their policy of always supervising new turnout partners to make sure nothing idiotic happened.) Move move move.

Echoing what everyone else has said: move!

Something similar happened to me (my mare was turned out with a horse who had just been gelded but he still was very agressive). Took massive chunks out of my mare). Luckily, the barn owner paid the vet bill but I was out of there quickly. That wasn’t the first time they had done something without thinking and my horse got injured.

After you move make sure you tell the other boarders what happened. Maybe you could save one of their horses from getting injured. BO are clueless. I can only think of one reason to turn out a stallion with other horses. That would be a young stallion with a bad ass mare to teach him manners.
And that would be a last resort.
Who boards a stallion except at a breeding farm? Sounds like their is a couple clueless parties involved.

Turned out in barb wire and with a stallion WTF?? Get out of there now.

Wait…did I miss the OP saying that the stallion was specifically turned out on purpose with the OP’s horse? Or did the stallion get loose/hop a fence/whatever?

Still not ok that BO didn’t give full disclosure about why OP’s horse went through the fence. However, it would possibly change how I reacted to the entire situation. OP, are you just looking for legal ground to make the BO pay for the vet? Or did the BO do this stupid thing on purpose without telling you, so you want out?

[QUOTE=Cruisesmom;8129845]
Turned out in barb wire and with a stallion WTF?? Get out of there now.[/QUOTE]
Missed the barbed wire. Barbed wire and horses, I would be out of there for that.

It sounds like he jumped a fence and the barbed wired was on the outside of it. (?)

Send them your vet bill, and find a place to keep your horse somewhere without morons running it!