Unlimited access >

Need some help rehoming hens

I have 6 sex-link hens that are a couple of years old that I would like to rehome soon (my needs and abilities have changed, no fault of theirs). They still lay eggs, though their numbers are slowly going down. I think at peak I was getting about 8-10 eggs a day this summer but I’m not sure if every hen is laying. I think I’d like them to all go to the same place and I’d like to charge a small rehoming fee, not to make money, but just to try to ensure their safety somewhat with a serious new owner. What do you think I should charge for them? What should I charge for all 6 or separately? Should I try to keep them all together? Or should I separate them? They’ve all grown up together since chicks and they all cuddle together at night. I’d like them to at least be paired up in their new home instead of rehoming individually. Please help, I’ve never rehomed hens.

Pic for attention

3 Likes

In my part of the world there is a chicken and duck facebook group where people trade/give away/rehome poultry.
Do you have anything like that near you? That might make it easier to find a place for them to go together.

I have no idea about charging anything. In the group I belong to it is more free or exchanging one breed for another.

My experience is at most one egg per bird per day. I am not sure there is any breed that lays more than that.

I love your set-up.

3 Likes

Thank you, and I’ll check out FB groups. I didn’t think of that. I live in a rural area and a lot of people are sketchy but maybe I can find a “crazy hen lady” that loves birds.

I certainly don’t know a lot about laying hens and most days I can count to 10 (lol), but some are definitely laying more than one egg a day as I check it everyday. Maybe they are great layers and I didn’t realize it. I bought the breed because I heard they were really good egg layers. I honestly have more eggs than I know what to do with.

There are far more crazy chicken people in the world than you ever imagined!

1 Like

That’s a lovely coop!

3 Likes

Where are you located?
If in the Midwest, & nearby I would take 3 of your hens.
I recently lost 2 of my 5 (+ 1 rooster) & would like to bring my mini-flock numbers up.
I’ve had chickens for 13yrs & have added chicks, pullets & grown hens to the bunch in that time.
2 of my 1st flock were sexlinks - Black Stars.
They are good layers, but I’ve never had one lay 2/day :open_mouth:
I no longer free-range, but hens have a large fenced yard.
2yrs ago I paid $5/ea for 2 laying hens.
If you’re too far from me, good luck finding a new home for your flock :crossed_fingers::+1:

ETA:
Love your coop, but no Winter/cold weather shelter… Does that mean you’re in a warm climate?

1 Like

I love your coop, too!

I would definitely sell them together, but your price would depend on your area. Maybe $45 for the group? And then be open to price or separation of a few birds?

1 Like

Where are you located? I would to love to have your hens! (I have ~80 at the moment, we sell eggs.)

1 Like

@McGurk Where are you located? I’m in TN.

@2DogsFarm, unfortunately, you would be too far from me. And the blue section is their indoor coop. You can see their ladder leading up to it.

1 Like

I’m looking for some adult hens. Unfortunately, while I used to live in TN, I’m several states away now. Bummer.

I agree to check out the FB groups in your area.

1 Like

Darn! In Virginia.

1 Like

Drat!
I see the Winter Quarters :+1:

FB might be your best bet.
Maybe you can post at a local feedstore?
Guy at my local employee-owned store raises chickens.

1 Like

That’s a good idea about the feed store. I haven’t found a lot of FB groups near me but I’m still looking. Craigslist scares me. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Maybe check with your county extension agent and/or 4H? We have a very active poultry project in our county. Not all meat birds either!

1 Like

That is a great idea, thank you.