Need Suggestions - Tack Modifications?

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I have been recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I also have lower back arthritis, as well as arthritis and nerve damage in my hands.

I’m wondering if anyone here has experience with, or knows of someone who does tack modifications? I’m wondering if there’s a way to make the reins easier for me to hold, the saddle easier to girth up, etc.

But I’m also looking for suggestions on something that I don’t think exists yet. My back has been so bad that I haven’t been able to ride lately, so I’ve been trying to go for walks. I don’t get very far with the hills around here, but I’ve hand walked my mare a lot in the past, so today I brought her with me. WHAT a difference. Having her to lean on/pull me when I needed it improved my walk, helped me loosen up, and let me go much farther.

To do this I let her pull on the lead line and pull me ahead, which is not something I’d normally encourage her to do. I’m wondering if there’s a way to make some sort of a collar or harness that I could hold onto. I’m thinking something along the lines of a breastplate (though I don’t know what I’d fasten it to to keep it from turning) or maybe a lunging surcingle? I’d need to add a handle onto whatever it is that I use. Does anyone have any thoughts? Ever tried to do something similar?

My good friend is a para-dressage rider, and her saddle used to have short billets and took a long girth. She has CP and spasticity issues made it hard for her to do up the girth with the short billets. She had them converted to long billets with a short girth and it made a world of difference. She can now use her whole body to help girth up on the days where spasticity in her arms makes it hard to do things. She also has different reins for using on different days, depending on how much spasticity she’s dealing with. She has a THICK pair of rubber reins, some wide but thin braided reins (not laced, we’re talking the old school 4-strand braided reins here!) and ladder reins (though she’s not using them as much now), and she also has Reinbows (http://www.reinbows.com/) for the days when she can’t grip the reins properly.

Another friend of mine has really bad arthritis in her back and knees, and found that adding a Thinline pad under her (wool flocked - apparently thinline doesn’t do squat under air panels) saddle and the thinline stirrup grips to her irons makes a HUGE difference in her comfort levels.

As far as the walking thing, you could try using a lunging surcingle with a breastplate attached, and maybe clip one of those pommel grab straps to the surcingle in a comfortable position for you. That way you have a couple different options for places to grab? As long as your mare is able to be brought back to walking politely when need be, I don’t see an issue with you letting her “pull” you into a bigger walk, for physio sake.

Thinline half pad, or squishy sheepskin helps back pain alot! The super comfort grip pads(wrap around) are a must have, they cushion and grip!!

Hand issues i got you covered!!
Reins; for me depends on the horse/pony
Those who go like light and need little contact i can just use thick rubber reins
Ponies; i have these rubber grip loops reins that clip in different spots or with medium horses i have ladder reins i hold with the regular reins and the ladder reins wont slip if the others do
Anything bigger i have my custom loop reins with 4 different slots(on the inside) to act as stoppers, they are made of driving lines and flat leather but 1" wide, the wider the rein the easier to hold!

You could also consider using endurance stirrups for riding- nice wide padded footbed and most have cages for safety.

You could try a vaulting surcingle. They have a handle on either side. Depending on how tall your horse is and how tall you are, you might or might not have trouble reaching the handles.

For the girth, you could try a girth tightened. They have them on the Freedom Rider site. I do find a short (dressage-style) girth much easier to tighten than a long girth.

This might be overly simple but how about a neck strap? It would be further forward than anything around the horses barrel which may or may not work for you. Very cheap to make your own with an old stirrup leather.

I was just going to make the above solution- a neck strap. I use one when riding as I have balance issues right now and a weak leg. I also use one when we go for hand grazing walks. I’m also working on training my colt to walk slowly and carefully with me, and I grab a handful of mane to hang on to. He’s been great about supporting me, and it’s fun to take him for little walks.

Thank you all for the great and creative suggestions! I will have to think these over and decide the best route to take. Thank you!

Hi for hand issues I have helped alot of people suffering from lesser grip ie arthritis, stroke, children with upper limb deficiencies, my daughter Alice has one hand hence Alice Reins. If you think they would help please email me, I am in the UK, don’t know if I can post links here and I am new to the forum!
:slight_smile: