Unlimited access >

Need Tack Trunk Advice Please!

I am at the point in my riding career where I have too much stuff just laying around and I would like to find a trunk to store it all, but I have no idea what size I should get. I have a saddle but would not need it to be stored in the trunk. I would like to be able to store:
-2 saddle pads
-half pad
-shaped show pad
-grooming/ bathing supplies
-tack cleaning supplies
-treats
-helmet, paddock boots and half chaps
Thank you in for the helpful tips

Medium :slight_smile:

IME the bigger the better :lol:

I have the largest trunk ever(jk but not really) and I still have it filled to the brim. Just make sure you get one with nice big wheels, or install you own!

http://www.victorycanter.com/Burlingham-Saddle-Trunk.html?gclid=CIqtrIL1wtECFdRyfgodkkwCyA

I found a website in which a company sends out plans to you with step by step directions and materials needed to make your tack trunk. They have many different designs that I believe might work. Thank you for the advice about wheels that might come in very handy

It really depends. Are you planning to bring your trunk to shows with you? If you are, smaller ones are easier to handle on your own (I second getting wheels!). Large trunks are great but very heavy…I have a massive trunk myself but it stays home. I have a smaller pony sized plastic trunk I bring to shows since I can move it by myself.

I have this one. It will easily fit all you listed and more.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?507028-Wooden-tack-trunk&highlight=Tack+trunk

We built our own and it fits a ton of stuff… Brush box and cubby for helmets. Was cheaper to build then buy. The plans are out there and you can make it as ornate as you like. or not.

I have a large wooden Oakcroft tack trunk with a bandage lid. I installed wheels on it immediately. It fits everything and the kitchen sink.

If I were to do it all again, particularly if I were not intending to have it on display in the front tack room at a horse show, I’d skip the purpose-made tack trunks and buy a Stanley toolbox on wheels. You can fit just about everything and the kitchen sink in one of the 50 gallon models.

Home Depot. Get the big black Stanley toolbox with wheels for $59.95 (or so). Not “pretty” but does the job; stores everything; light enough to move around; has wheels; includes a little tray on top for small odds & ends. No way would I have a 100-pound wooden trunk.

[QUOTE=jumpergirl2399;9009951]
I found a website in which a company sends out plans to you with step by step directions and materials needed to make your tack trunk. They have many different designs that I believe might work. Thank you for the advice about wheels that might come in very handy[/QUOTE]

If you are budget conscious I would not recommend building your own. This comes from personal experience- as my DH ordered plans and made mine about 2 years ago. He had quite a few expensive tools to start- but ending up needing many more to complete the project. Between the cost of additional tools, high quality furniture grade wood, and all the extra supplies involved (stains, wood glue etc etc) it easily cost upwards of $850+ to build it. It also took him about 2 months to finish the project.

Now that being said- my trunk is, IMO, FAR better quality then trunks I’ve seen costing upwards of $1,100, so I still see it as a “deal”. I have seen “starter” type small/medium trunks for $400ish though, so if that suits your needs I would not recommend trying to build you own if your motivation is to save a buck. Just my 2 cents though! Good luck, and post pics if you build your own!

100% agree. Most of the people I show with use these- it’s lockable and super easy to load on and off the trailer.

[QUOTE=222orchids;9011075]
Home Depot. Get the big black Stanley toolbox with wheels for $59.95 (or so). Not “pretty” but does the job; stores everything; light enough to move around; has wheels; includes a little tray on top for small odds & ends. No way would I have a 100-pound wooden trunk.[/QUOTE]

100% agree- most of the people I show with use one of these. Lockable, and super easy to load on and off a trailer.

I have this one. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-37-in-Mobile-Job-Box-Utility-Cart-Black-209261/203668066

It certainly is not fancy but it is spacious, will fit everything OP needs to store and is easy to transport.

There are Etsy sellers who make covers for these trunks, which can be monogrammed and will allow your trunk to be presentable in the show barn aisle if you have a trainer who is “particular” about these things.