Unlimited access >

Need to assess horse's back soreness FAST - vet or chiro? HELP!

I have a 21 year old mare with arthritis in her hocks calcified enough that it’s hard for the vet to get a needle in for injections). She’s a really sweet, fun horse who seems fully able of moving about (WTC, bucking, prancing, you name it) without a rider, apart from a short stride in her back left leg. But with a rider it’s another story - she’ll walk around ok for a few minutes, even give an awkward head-in-the-air jog for a little bit, but after that she absolutely REFUSES to move (we’ve done the whole “treat it like it’s behavioral and get after her with a crop” thing - didn’t get us anywhere except on the ground when she bucked in response). And I know she understands my aids and respects them because she used to be a super responsive dream under saddle and still is on the lunge. It happens with any rider (including my old trainer), regardless of tack. And I’ve become pretty convinced that it’s a back issue. She jerks her head up whenever you lean forward (i.e. to dismount, touch her ears, etc.) and sometimes, if I run my finger nail down her spine, she flinches pretty noticeably when I get right behind her withers. I think it’s a degenerative issue or one she’s had for a while as she’s had symptoms like these (jerking head up, acting unpredictable or refusing to move as if in pain, etc.) more or less since I got her five years ago but only got obvious enough to prevent regular riding in the last year or so (yes I should have had it looked at sooner, but I was young and stupid).

Anyway, I’m about to go to college and I need to decide whether I can get her sound to ride again and half-lease her, or if it’s time to give up and put her on pasture (which I would HATE to do because she’s an amazing horse who loves to have a job, and keeping a horse weighs pretty heavily on a college budget).

My dressage instructor recommended a great (but pricey) chiro/vet and I have an appointment with him, but he’s booked up until the day before I move into the dorm, which gives me no time to condition her, tend to her, try to find a leaser and/or a cheaper pasture boarding arrangement. So I guess my question is… what would you do or suggest? Should I call my usual vet? If I do that, I may not be able to afford the chiro… Does this sound like a skeletal issue (worth an x-ray) or more muscular?
Any recommendations as to who I might call/ take her to would be great as well. I’m in the Arvada/ Denver/Boulder area of Colorado.

Sorry it’s a long read but thank you so much for your advice!!

What is your time frame? I could get you the name of another chiro/vet …I haven’t been in contact but a horse owner I know has…and I know it’s a different vet because this one is female. But said horse owner is out of town for a few days and not sure how quickly she’d get back to me.

[QUOTE=IPEsq;7704310]
What is your time frame? I could get you the name of another chiro/vet …I haven’t been in contact but a horse owner I know has…and I know it’s a different vet because this one is female. But said horse owner is out of town for a few days and not sure how quickly she’d get back to me.[/QUOTE]

I move out on the 21st so I’d like to have her looked at before the 15th if at all possible.

[QUOTE=zaparaquah;7704315]
I move out on the 21st so I’d like to have her looked at before the 15th if at all possible.[/QUOTE]

If by this you mean Aug 21 - it’s completely unrealistic to think that mare will be riding sound & fit for a lease, even if you had the vet-chiro appointment tomorrow.
Definitely go ahead with an appointment with absolutely the best lameness vet you can find - diagnosis/prognosis would greatly help your mare, even if it’s just about improving the quality of her life through adequan or previcox etc

If you had chosen to go ahead with this back in March (I think that was when this was discussed previously), there’s a good chance she’d be well suited to lease by now … it really does take time to sort out body issues & strengthen/develop new muscles etc.

At this point I think that you & mare would be well served to go through with your appointment, hopefully get a clear path to follow with her over the next several months, then bring her back to riding condition in the spring when you’re out of school, and find a suitable lease etc situation over the summer months.

The vet will be able to advise whether she will do best with a winter field home or if she has issues that will respond best with stall rest/limited turnout, then return to field life.

I’m so pleased that you have that chiro-vet appointment :yes:

Are you in Littleton Equine’s practice area? If so Dr. Jessica Dunbar is great! She was in my class for chiropractic training. I would highly recommend her.