Unlimited access >

Negative Experience with Barn Construction / Holloway Builders, Eastover, NC

My husband and I have recently completed construction on a three stall shedrow barn with a washrack and tack room. I am attempting to let folks who might do business with this company / individual know about our experience so they can either avoid using this company, or at least put things in place such that there interests are protected.

I will first say that the barn we got in the process is a well-constructed structure. There are elements of the construction that wasn’ t completed as we would have liked, i.e., stall floors not properly prepared, and other things that were left undone that my husband was able to fix.

We had many incidents over the course of the time we were building the barn that I won’t go into here. We contracted with this company on April 1, 2014, and the construction completion did not allow us to move our horse home until December 13, 2014. We were told it would take approximately three months to complete the barn, and it ended up taking 7 1/2 months. Since the completion of the barn, we have had three subcontractors / suppliers contact us to let us know the builder has not paid them. We have paid one of the suppliers, and are in the process of paying the second. The third supplier has not given us a final cost of what is due him, but once we pay this supplier, the cost for the barn will have exceeded what was quoted to us by the builder, as well as what we have budgeted for its construction. We have been attempting to resolve this matter with the business for several months. We have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, to which the builder has responded, but he has yet to make the final payment to the subs/suppliers. This complaint is public record and can be found on the Better Business Bureau’s Myrtle Beach, SC, website. Our next step will be to file a complaint against his NC Contractor’s license.

The name of the construction company is Holloway Builders in Eastover, NC, owned and operated by Dennis Holloway. (Not to be confused with Holloway Construction of Fayetteville, NC.) We live in central North Carolina, and jobs in areas of high horse populations, i.e., Harnett, Wake (Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill), Lee (Sanford), Sampson (Clinton), Moore (Southern Pines / Pinehurst) and Hoke (Raeford), and probably areas beyond, would be accessible for this company to accept. Recognizing COTH is an international forum, I am hoping that by posting this information here, and identifying our location, those looking for builders will be informed of our experience and be equipped to do what is necessary to protect themselves from a similar experience. Feel free to contact me via private message if you are interested in learning more about our experiences with this builder.

Allison DeLong

Wow! I hope you post this on FB on the Sandhills Area Equestrian page. We’re just across the river from Eastover, but I’ve never heard of that company. Glad you finally got your horses home, and hope the problems are resolved soon.

Ooops, I see your post there :slight_smile: