Unlimited access >

Net (Webbing not string) rectangular three string bale

I ahve been using a half size compressed pasture bale for a few winters and like it but this year I have a mini who eats it from the bottom (its on a metal bale holder, made here in Ocala a few years ago by someone who is no longer here). Of course that makes it fall apart a lot earlier than just eating it down from the top. Once the metal wire(s) gets loose I have to remove it and then the bale falls apart.
So I am wondering about those webbing bale-sized “nets”… does anyone use one? It would be on the same rack (diamond mesh on legs, pretty much, and under a run in ) SUggestions???

Do you mean a hay net? I feed with hay nets and I find the slow feed nets significantly reduce the mess because the holes are small so not as much hay gets pulled out by the mouthful. I would put the bale in a slow feed net and then drop that in your feeder. I really like the ‘slow bale buddy’ nets because they have a closure system that doesn’t involve a cord for horses to get tangled in.

no, I dont mean nets. My guy eats through the string… LOL. I have had luck with the webbing hay bags but I am looking for something to enclose or cover a compressed bale. As they eat it, and the wires are removed, eventually they pull it apart and then there is lots of waste. Also, I cannot lift our 60# bales up on to the feeder very easily, so I’d like to continue to use the half-compressed pasture bales, which are much less expensive per pound as well.