Unlimited access >

Nevermind

Nevermind.

Oh I’m sorry.
I will say that it’s not … the most uncommon thing for dogs to attack an elderly dog. I read an article from a trainer about her dogs went after her eldest dog when they sensed that the dog had gotten older and sicker. It’s an unfortunate part of nature.
I’ve also known so many even dog trainers that have been bit trying to break up a dog fight. There’s a lot of advice on how to do it, but at the end of the day it’s never ideal. Once a dog is attacking, they don’t always know what they’re going after.
Sorry you had to see that. I’m sure a lot of it has to do with how they raise their dogs, but dogs are animals and sometimes we personify them into furry people and ignore their instincts.

Nevermind.

I’m the type that would try this first:

Say hello over the fence. Ask about the puppy. Offer to take it to the vet and for walks, since you know it’s probably hard for them to get out, and puppies have a LOT of energy. Tell them you often go for walks in the morning or evening, and you wouldn’t mind some company (for me, that’s the truth; for you, it could be a small fib, IDK). They might take you up on the offer, you never know.

And just wait and see what happens. Maybe they learned their lesson and the new puppy will get tons of outside time. Maybe its a gift for a grandchild, or belongs to another family member, and they’re just keeping for a bit. A conversation with them might clear it all up.