Unlimited access >

New Amateur Rule Effective 12/1/21

Plus a few other new rules.

https://links.usef.mkt7856.com/servlet/MailView?ms=MTk2NjcxNjQS1&r=MTMyMTYwNTg5NzAyS0&j=MjI2MDEzMzY4MwS2&mt=1&rt=0

3 Likes

Curious about some clarification, and maybe I need to call USEF butā€¦

GR1306 2. b. references various associations in which an amateur can accept remuneration for teaching basic lessons. Does this rule change only apply to members of those associations? Or? Because this rule is in contrast to many stock breed associations in which members often cross over to USEF. Iā€™m just confused if it is a USEF rule, what does being a member of those particular listed associations have to do with anything? And what is ā€œwestern divisionsā€?

I asked a similar question in a committee meeting, where we we asked for comments on the proposed rule.

I asked it this way.
If an (otherwise) amateur, who rides in a Morgan barn, gives beginner lessons to kids on Morgans, can she compete as an Amateur at (USEF recognized) Dressage shows.

I didnā€™t get a straight answer, other than ā€œthat isnā€™t the scenario we were thinking aboutā€.
But she did say it was not related to being a member of a particular affiliate organization.

The ā€œWestern Divisionsā€ are, I assume, ā€œWestern Divisionā€ and ā€œWestern Dressage Divisionā€

So great that they held all those meetings to get feedback and then wrote the rule how they planned to write the rule anyway. Except the one thing they listened to (that dressage and h/j people were largely against the teaching part) wound up making the resulting rule even more confusing for anyone who is also involved with or has at their barn people involved with the listed affiliates.

It was an opportunity to make the rule more clear, and it got worse.

3 Likes

I am all for allowing amateurs more opportunities to earn money in this industry. Though I realize itā€™s highly controversial. Even if it isnā€™t a living wage, which obviously teaching beginner lessons 20 hours a week wouldnā€™t be. But imagine if a few of us could do so and help offset the insane cost of playing the game. Much like how many of us braid. But that is seasonal, while the shows we participate in might not be.

I for one would be all over the idea of teaching up down lessons or being able to longe horses for my trainer. But alas I primarily belong to a stock horse association that has some substantial cross over to USEF. And that association strictly prohibits an amateur from doing so for remuneration. So if this rule applies to members of more than just that handful of associations, then now we have a conflict and Iā€™m not sure how that could be sorted out.

Just to clarify, the new USEF tweak on the amateur rule does allow amateurs to get paid to lunge other peopleā€™s horses, along with other barn duties.

Yes which is great, but what about those of us who compete both in USEF and a breed association? Thatā€™s kind of a rhetorical question, since the question needs to be posed to the breed association. But the verbiage about morgans and lustinos (I think?) was confusing. Like, does it apply to the rest of us who donā€™t belong to those associations?

Edited to add: I see above where Janet says it does not pertain to just one association. Itā€™s just that the rule is in conflict with my primary association and we could be caught up in the middle; an amateur in one association, while considered a pro in another.

That I donā€™t know.

I just wanted to clarify the new USEF rule for anyone who hasnā€™t read it yet.

Oh yes. Thank you! I do always like to clarify as my audio-learning @$$ tends to not always read thoroughly and miss the big points. So clarification is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

this totally does not make sense.

It is totally reasonable that a rider from a Morgan barn may come to dressage show.

The answer about "not related to being a member of a particular affiliate org. WTH???

Almost all of us riding in dressage shows are and must be USEF members.

So someone who works as a lower level trainer in a Morgan barn, shows at Morgan shows as an ammy. Arent they also considered an ammy at a dressage show?

portioning out these rules to as they did will only make for deeper confusion.

I am usually pretty good with the rules but this puzzles me quite a bit.

Iā€™ve been wanting USEF to allow amateurs to teach beginner lessons for years now. But I think it needs to be an all or nothing scenario. Because under this new rule, it seems pretty easy for a H/J or dressage rider to just say ā€˜oh Iā€™m teaching beginner saddleseat lessonsā€™ and get around the rule.

Of course, we all know that thereā€™s a large contingent of people who are getting around the rules and teaching anyways

This just sums up the amateur rule in a nutshell for me.

4 Likes

Not pertaining to the amateur rule but Iā€™m happy to see the reporting of injuries/ incidents being mandatory. Not sure it will help prevent any injuries, but Iā€™m sure it will be easier to collect data on how the injuries occurred for future prevention methods.

Well, they added a lot of ā€œadministrative burdenā€ to it, but itā€™s not supposed to be easy to lie.

You have to keep a log of the lessons taught.
Your students cannot be competing in (recognized?) shows.
You have to work for someone who is a USEF member.

In other words, the coveted amateur status is the earned one, not the default one, if you are teaching. And that means that if anyone should protest, you have to produce a lot of data showing your compliance.

2 Likes