Unlimited access >

New arena construction base issues...HELP!

Same here. 3/4" minus here is dust up to rocks 3/4" large. The base is basically what I assume would be called 1/4" minus currently.

The quarry I got the base from does not do stone dust or screenings. The larger quarry in our region is suggesting mason sand, so obviously the woman on the phone doesn’t know what stone dust is. I will try asking for screenings/having my contractor ask. Looking at the material list, I’m not sure it is something they produce?? This is a problem I didn’t anticipate. Ugh.

https://concretematerialscompany.com/aggregate-asphalt

Last year was the second wettest (2014 was the worst) and this is the wettest spring on record. Great time to build! LOL.

So I actually had the same issue as you. Arena was just finished before christmas. I let it sit over the winter and went to use it in the spring and my horse was pounding right through it. It was super deep and I was pretty much freaking out. Had him out and he said he would come back with roller and repack it. So in the meantime I did some work on it myself with our small 25hp tractor. Flipped the harrow upside down and add an old wooden fence post dragging behind it. Dragged it 3 times like this and it is already soooo much better. He hasn’t had a chance to roll it again yet with all the rain we got this weekend but if my little tractor and tiny harrow made that much of a difference I’m sure an actual roller will make it even better. Don’t freak out too much yet

#232, #240 and #100 might all be worth further discussion, just looking at the pics from my phone.

It’s SO frustrating how totally regional this stuff is! Seriously, why can’t they standardize a little? :-/

AGREE. Just call it the same thing everywhere. I will go back and look at those more.

Thank you btswass. I think were something like 250% above normal rainfall now and the wettest first four months ever. I know there are bigger problems in the world, but I’m sure sick of looking at standing water in my backyard. Someday we may be able to roll the arena. Someday…

I’m waiting on it to dry enough to get a triaxle load of dusty 12 in to level out my outdoor arena base. The base is done right but over the last 20 years it has low spots which hold water. I need to raise those spots before I add footing, but it WILL NOT STOP RAINING.

So, I took a quick look and offhand I don’t see any products that will work for you. I would NOT recommend the masonry sand for this application. While it does have some fines per the sieve analysis, it also is sub-angular to rounded in shape which means it will NOT pack well.

These products are actually very standardized. Each product lists the material, the sieve analysis and also a description of the shape. You need something with a lot of particles in the 100-200 range (dust) and an angular shape.

Ask the quarry what they are selling to the paving contractors use for road base (you know, the packed gravel that goes beneath the blacktop). What you want is very similar to that, only with the bigger rocks screened out.

Ok, looking closer…

I’m looking at #244 except that one lacks a sieve analysis. I wonder if they could screen out the larger rocks for you and check on the amount of fines. I’m guessing it has plenty of fines since it is suggested as a base material. I wonder if #240 is a version of #244 with the larger rocks screened out, which should work.

#232 does not have enough fines.
#240 looks like a strong possibility.
#100 is too round in shape.

When buying rock or sand, if you have any doubts go to the quarry and get a bucket of it and look at it. Check shape, look for fines, etc. Take it home, get it wet, see how it settles, etc.

Have you tried calling the quarry? I used 1/4 minus screenings (Central Texas) for my arena base. As I recall, they made special runs for me. I used a contractor that does a lot of business with that quarry, so they had a good relationship, so that may have helped.

As a side bar, I was very worried it would not pack well because after the first few rains it got very soft when wet. But I let it get rained on and bake a bit in the hot summer Texas sun. It was rolled, and I drove on it a lot before adding sand. It has made a really nice base.