Unlimited access >

New Chaps-How to Dull the Shine?

Screenshot_20231019_102405_Gallery|194x420 As stated. I just got a new pair of aniline leather chaps and they have a sheen to them. What can I do to them to make them more of a matte finish?
Thanks.Screenshot_20231019_102405_Gallery

Wear them.

4 Likes

Since they are very light oil, I would patch test first, but washing with a mild soap and water is what I would try first. Lemon juice and rubbing alcohol is a good way to deglaze leather as well.

If you can’t find anything that won’t alter the color, I’d wear them, break them in good, clean them and avoid using any oil based conditioners.

Thanks. They are supposed to be champagne but look orangish. Any suggestions on what to do to make them less orangy? Thanks.

You can try a leather cleaner/conditioner, neatsfoot oil, saddle soap, Murphy’s (gel, if you can find it).
When my Stubben saddle was brand new it was orangey.
Time & use darkened it to Havana.

“Bleaching” leather can be a lengthy, difficult process. If you want them to stay a light oil, but take the orange tones out, I would send them off to a leather worker who can do it professionally. I wouldn’t take the chance as a amateur at home, and that’s coming from a family of cobblers…

If you’re willing to go darker, 100% pure Neatsfoot oil, in very thin, even coats. Let it soak in and buff out each layer before moving on. Do not over oil the leather, very thin coats are sufficient and more natural. Leather cannot handle a large amount of oil in a short time. Think of it like a living thing, because it once was.

2 Likes

Thanks Goose
The maker said the color will change with wear, cleaning & conditioning.

2 Likes