Unlimited access >

New CWD - Breaking in thoughts...

Yeah…agree it is not a breaking in problem. Since you bought the saddle for no particular horse, I don’t imagine that CWD would be able to do much in terms of paneling since I believe most fit guarantees these companies offer refer to it fitting specific horses (at least I know my Antares contract did).

So I would say get well acquainted with all types of half pads and what kind you need to fit the particular horse you are riding.

[QUOTE=Madison;7566581]
I agree with RugBug (hi RugBug!!) – these sound like completely different issues. I’m riding in a loaner CWD while i wait for my order to come in, and it looks practically brand new and is definitely not broken in, but that isn’t causing any of the types of issues that you are describing, and even brand new it feels pretty grippy and I’m not sliding around. If the rep hasn’t seen you ride in it, I would have someone take short video clips and send them to the rep so they can see. Don’t give up til you are satisfied - saddles are too expensive for it not to be just right, and your rep should be cooperative on that.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t think of it before but now that it’s been mentioned in the thread- it may be the leathers causing my leg to move around. Plus I hadn’t conditioned it yet when I rode in it. I had only oiled it.

[QUOTE=KateKat;7566680]
Yeah…agree it is not a breaking in problem. Since you bought the saddle for no particular horse, I don’t imagine that CWD would be able to do much in terms of paneling since I believe most fit guarantees these companies offer refer to it fitting specific horses (at least I know my Antares contract did).

So I would say get well acquainted with all types of half pads and what kind you need to fit the particular horse you are riding.[/QUOTE]

As far as half pads go, I normally use an Ogilvy 1" or one of the barn’s half pads which are the base-lien white half pads. I used on elf the barn ones yesterday so maybe that’s the problem since the horse I’m leasing is supposed to always be ridden in an Ogilvy but I doubt thats the reason why.

You may need a shimmable pad that allows you to change the fit.

[QUOTE=Bogie;7566921]
You may need a shimmable pad that allows you to change the fit.[/QUOTE]

I’ve never heard of a shimmable pad…
I don’t think fit for the horse is the problem because if the saddle is too wide wouldn’t the pommel be sitting on his withers? (which its not)

[QUOTE=amnich123;7566925]
I don’t think fit for the horse is the problem because if the saddle is too wide wouldn’t the pommel be sitting on his withers? (which its not)[/QUOTE]

It could be too narrow, it may not be level (pommel high or low, cantle high or low without sitting on the withers. There could be bridging, etc. There’s a whole lot of reasons even a “pro panel” saddle may not fit a certain horse.

When I got my new saddle it was uncomfortable, slippery and didn’t seem to fit my horse. My rep told me that the tree will slowly widen to where it’s suppose to be (when I first got it it looked like a narrow tree and i ordered a wide). A handful of rides into it, the tree started to settle in and the leather started to break in as well (after oiling the **** out of it, lol). Now it’s really nice and comfy for both me and my horse. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=amnich123;7566925]
I don’t think fit for the horse is the problem because if the saddle is too wide wouldn’t the pommel be sitting on his withers? (which its not)[/QUOTE]

There is a lot more to correct saddle fit than wither clearance. There’s the shape of the tree, the shape of the panels, how closely the saddle fits, etc. You can have enough wither clearance but not have a saddle that is sitting level, or it may rock on a horse’s back (usually pivoting over the withers).

Correction pads can help you make small adjustments that help keep a horse more comfortable.

Pro panels are probably a good moderate fit for many horses but they are not really a one-size-fits all. I’m not saying the saddle doesn’t fit the horse, because it may well; it’s just a bit more complicated.

FYI -here’s one of the shimmable solutions out there:

https://www.smartpakequine.com/mattes-correction-quilted-half-pad-with-pockets-for-shims-all-purpose--7332p?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=googlepla&utm_content=TES&utm_campaign=2109683436&cm_mmc=Google--googlepla--TES-_-2109683436&source=pla&gclid=CO7VufnHmr4CFUpp7Aod7j0ADw

My new CWD felt really weird the first few times I rode in it, too. It did help a lot to condition and then roll the heck out of the flaps. It had been a while since I’d ridden in as forward a seat, too, so getting my stirrups adjusted properly and figuring out exactly where my leg was supposed to go took a few rides.

YMMV, but I (and my horse!) are now perfectly comfortable.

I got a new CWD three weeks ago and the first couple of rides I felt pretty loose in the tack. I conditioned it like crazy and have now put about 40+ rides on it. I’m totally thrilled with it now that’s it’s broken in. The grain option takes a little breaking in, in my opinion.

I have felt strange in all my new saddles the first few rides. I agree with those that suggest rolling the heck out of it and conditioning. My CWD is so soft now. I just switched from riding in a new County to my old CWD and am thrilled to be able to ride in it again!

I don’t know if this helps or not. I just had my CWD rep out yesterday and she told me when the saddle comes in that you should condition the heck out of it and roll the flaps to get it broken in. But it sounds like your saddle might just not fit you correctly.

[QUOTE=bluecharm7;7567886]
I don’t know if this helps or not. I just had my CWD rep out yesterday and she told me when the saddle comes in that you should condition the heck out of it and roll the flaps to get it broken in. But it sounds like your saddle might just not fit you correctly.[/QUOTE]

Replying to all the comments/suggestions after my last post on this page:
I conditioned it yesterday and after having one of my friends ride in it, it’s gotten better! I do agree with aadams89 that being grain calf leather compared to full calf that it needs some breaking in. I rode in it again yesterday and it was a lot better. I think the main problem was that the first time I rode in it, I hand’t conditioned it so it wasn’t grippy. Now the knee rolls are beginning to mold toward my knee and the flap underneath my leg is starting to bend more!

I’m getting used to the flap itself and the position of the seat and stirrup bar. I’ll update next week or so on how it’s going.

I am occasionally guilty of ebaying a used saddle sight unseen (and it usually doesn’t end well!) but am I correct in interpreting your posts to mean that you ordered a custom CWD saddle without actually riding in a CWD first?

I would not be talking to an internet bb. I would be talking to my CWD rep and possibly a saddle fitter.

[QUOTE=amnich123;7567948]
Replying to all the comments/suggestions after my last post on this page:
I conditioned it yesterday and after having one of my friends ride in it, it’s gotten better! I do agree with aadams89 that being grain calf leather compared to full calf that it needs some breaking in. I rode in it again yesterday and it was a lot better. I think the main problem was that the first time I rode in it, I hand’t conditioned it so it wasn’t grippy. Now the knee rolls are beginning to mold toward my knee and the flap underneath my leg is starting to bend more!

I’m getting used to the flap itself and the position of the seat and stirrup bar. I’ll update next week or so on how it’s going.[/QUOTE]

I hope that it continues to improve and that you love it in the end.

[QUOTE=french fry;7567960]
I am occasionally guilty of ebaying a used saddle sight unseen (and it usually doesn’t end well!) but am I correct in interpreting your posts to mean that you ordered a custom CWD saddle without actually riding in a CWD first?

I would not be talking to an internet bb. I would be talking to my CWD rep and possibly a saddle fitter.[/QUOTE]

I rode in my trainers CWD which triggered me to go with CWD instead of Antares and had a rep come out, was fitted, tried the same combo in a demo that I ordered custom and now have. I did try it.

[QUOTE=Bogie;7568155]
I hope that it continues to improve and that you love it in the end.[/QUOTE]

I do, too! Fingers crossed. :smiley:
After reading other threads some users said their CWD just gets more and more broken in and comfy with each ride. So I’m guessing that’s the way mine will be.

I think the source of my problem of the saddle with my legs sliding back was that I hadn’t conditioned the saddle, had only oiled it the day I got it and rode in it the next day.

My CWD came in this February- just as I got a new lease. After the first ride I thought I was going to have to send it back. I used a thick gel pad underneath it and could not tell I was on a living being at all. The next ride I changed to a very thin bounce pad and still felt like I was going to be thrown over the front of the saddle. After adding a pommel pad it was better and I rode in that setup for nearly two months before trying a bevel pad- it was a miracle! Everything felt better after that. The thoroughbred I am leasing has a shark-fin wither and divots on either side which were allowing the saddle to sit pommel low, but my trainer and I just assumed that was how the lowered pommel models looked on a horse. The pommel was not resting on his withers at all, but the saddle fit was still incorrect.

Moral of the story: it may very well be how the saddle fits the horse and have nothing to do with how it fits you. While I did become more comfortable as the saddle broke in but it would not and did not change my initial feelings that something wasn’t right- only the right padding for my horse did that.

I hope you grow to love your CWD as much as I love mine! :lol:

I also recently purchased a custom CWD saddle. They take quite a while to break in! I rode in it daily for 2 months and the flap still wasn’t broken in.

The best tip I had was to oil the flaps and then literally roll them up and flex the leather as much as possible. If you can have a man with really strong hands do it, it’s even better. They also suggest that you bend the leather of the flap right where you would want your leg indent to be. Helps the leather supple so it cups your leg.

As soon as I took the above advice, my saddle was way better! Good luck!

[QUOTE=aadams89;7567384]
I got a new CWD three weeks ago and the first couple of rides I felt pretty loose in the tack. I conditioned it like crazy and have now put about 40+ rides on it. I’m totally thrilled with it now that’s it’s broken in. The grain option takes a little breaking in, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Not if you let CWD oil/condition it before it is shipped as I did. My grain/calf saddle was halfway broken in the first time I rode in it, and it took only a very short while to feel completely broken in. I have ridden in brand new saddles before, and this was much, much easier. I love cleaning tack but I hate all the oiling/conditioning/rolling involved with a new saddle, so I bypassed most of those stages. :slight_smile: