Unlimited access >

New CWD - Breaking in thoughts...

[QUOTE=BAC;7568596]
Not if you let CWD oil/condition it before it is shipped as I did. My grain/calf saddle was halfway broken in the first time I rode in it, and it took only a very short while to feel completely broken in. I have ridden in brand new saddles before, and this was much, much easier. I love cleaning tack but I hate all the oiling/conditioning/rolling involved with a new saddle, so I bypassed most of those stages. :)[/QUOTE]

Well, seeing that my next favorite thing to riding is cleaning tack I think I’ll have no problem being diligent with oiling, conditioning and rolling the leather.

I received my new CWD grain/calf saddle 2 months ago and I have to say I felt really comfortable after only 2 rides.
I love love love it !

[QUOTE=amnich123;7566468]
I already spoke to rep. I got the correct combo. 17 seat 3L flap since 3C is too far forward and 2L is too short. The saddle is a pro-panel.[/QUOTE]

I have the EXACT same saddle. I am 5’8" and fairly long in the leg, and I didn’t have any issues with balance or “hitting” the bars. All I have done is oil it a few times before riding in it. It was actually (and surprisingly) very comfortable.

I would say if you’re finding it that uncomfortable maybe see if you can get the rep out, as others have suggested.

What is this “rolling” everyone is referring to? I am not familiar with it. I also didn’t specifically tell CWD to oil or not oil my saddle prior to shipping it?

If you didn’t specify, they will not oil/condition it for you. As you oil the flaps you gently roll them (sort of like a taco is the best way I can think to describe it :D) and unroll them, it helps increase the absorption of the oil and helps with the breaking in process.

[QUOTE=BAC;7670822]
If you didn’t specify, they will not oil/condition it for you. As you oil the flaps you gently roll them (sort of like a taco is the best way I can think to describe it :D) and unroll them, it helps increase the absorption of the oil and helps with the breaking in process.[/QUOTE]

Okay, the rep never mentioned it to me or asked.

Thanks for the info, I did find the flaps very stiff, so I will try that tonight

[QUOTE=Lulalover27;7671022]
Okay, the rep never mentioned it to me or asked.

Thanks for the info, I did find the flaps very stiff, so I will try that tonight[/QUOTE]

Did they send you the CWD Cream Conditioner? Its better than oil for the saddle IMO, and based on my conversations with CWD I think they use it instead of oil. My saddle was very comfortable right from the start, although just slightly stiff, in the beginning but it broke in rapidly. I think you have to specifically ask them to oil it for you.

I also got a new CWD with grain. It really is stiff to start with. I actually changed to full calf (much softer to start) but if you ride in an older CWD the grain leather does eventually soften. Just don’t expect it to be supple for a few months :wink: I felt like ti didn’t change my balance, but my legs didn’t feel “rigt” until it broke in more, then it was fine.

My daughter is having the same issue. She is an eq kid and the saddle is definitely hindering her position. I have contacted the rep and was told that when she’s back in town, she will come to the barn and take a look at it. I am still waiting. :no:

My dd just got her new full calf saddle. We used about 3/4 of the conditioner on it before even sitting in it as the rep told us to do. It is beautiful, fits her and her horse perfectly. She showed in it the first week shehad it and she does the Bigeq at AA shows so comfort and rideability are important. The NY, NJ rep helped us, she is wonderful

[QUOTE=lilmisshunter;7677463]
My daughter is having the same issue. She is an eq kid and the saddle is definitely hindering her position. I have contacted the rep and was told that when she’s back in town, she will come to the barn and take a look at it. I am still waiting. :no:[/QUOTE]

Write & give a deadline by which you expect to have the saddle assessed/serviced, cc the rep & head office & customer service.

CWD guarantees fit for both horse & rider, I’d not wait more than a month for a response.

We had the same rep, I think. They custom made three saddles for me before we landed on the right one. The ONLY reason I chose CWD was because of their customer service, and thank goodness I did because I ended up needing it (and some patience). :slight_smile: The rep will do her best to make you happy, but I believe she’s at HITS right now.