Unlimited access >

New Dressage Rider - Choosing a horse to lease

I am in the process of finding a horse to part-lease with the hopes of learning more about the wonderful sport of dressage. I am an expericened rider, but I don’t know much beyond Training/First Level in Dressage - which is fine, since I’m hoping to show Training/ First over the summer and (hopefully!) get my First Level scores toward my bronze. Anyway, I have tried several horses and have come down to a choice between two awesome but very different mares.

The first is a 17-year-old Appaloosa. She’s competed through Third level and her owner got her First level scores on her. She was amazing when I test rode her - super light and responsive off the seat, stretching down steadily into the contact, just the kind of horse I love riding. She’s not quite confirmed in her changes but as I was riding her I got some clean flying changes (which coincidentally were also the first flying changes I’ve done :D), which impressed her owner and made her think that I could possibly move up through the levels with her and get all my scores for my bronze. With this mare, I can definitely tell that she knows more than I do. If I were to lease this horse, I would probably ride her 2-3 times a week, taking bi-weekly lessons with her owner (who is also the owner of the farm and a USDF Silver medalist) and once monthly lessons with Dolly Hannon (a well known trainer and USDF judge/ instructor/ Gold medalist). There are also several other horses on the property who I could ride from time to time, and the owner assures me that as I advance, there would be more advanced horses for me to work with. The biggest drawback of this situation is that the farm where the mare is kept is sort of a backyard place (a nice one, with a barn and fields… but no indoor arena :().

The second mare is an 8-year-old Friesian X Percheron. She’s HUGE (maybe 17.3-18 hands?), and the kindest horse I have ever met. She’s a bit out of shape, but she tries very hard and is reliable beyond her years. She’s shown Training level (very consistent scores in the 60s) and is schooling First level now. She should be ready to show First by the summer. She’s SO much fun to ride. I’ve never ridden a pure draft horse and that huge, swingy movement is just fantastic. She’s very light off the leg and responsive to the seat as well. Her trainer said she thinks we have good chemistry and that we’re a good match in terms of her knowledge and mine. One of the awesome things about this horse is that she’s very easy to feel out and read, which makes transitions and schooling much more enjoyable. She’s the kind of horse I could sit on all day and still have a great big grin on my face. I think I could learn a lot from this mare, and would also have the benefit of doing a bit of training with her, to help her move up. I realize that might slow my progress through the levels a bit, but I think there’s value in knowing how to teach a movement rather than just ride it, especially since I’m probably looking to buy and train up a youngster in the not-so-distant future. If I end up leasing her, I would be riding her twice a week with weekly or bi-weekly lessons with her trainer (who is amazing and very helpful, but only experienced through Fourth level… which is probably fine for where i am now but I would eventually like to work towards the higher levels). The facility is incredible, with a nice big indoor arena and the community there is a lot more active and filled with knowledgeable people than the community at the first barn, which is small and consists of a lot of kids.

Both are the same price and roughly the same distance from me. And I simply cannot decide between them! I would probably be very happy with either horse, but I was hoping the COTH community could offer some perspective and advice. Which horse/ situation would you go for?

[QUOTE=zaparaquah;7916474]
She’s very light off the leg and responsive to the seat as well. Her trainer said she thinks we have good chemistry and that we’re a good match in terms of her knowledge and mine. One of the awesome things about this horse is that she’s very easy to feel out and read, which makes transitions and schooling much more enjoyable. She’s the kind of horse I could sit on all day and still have a great big grin on my face.[/QUOTE]

This one.

If I were you, I would pick the Appaloosa. Yes, there is value in learning how to teach a movement but you will learn so much quicker if the horse already know how to do it. Trust me, you will still have to learn how to ride the movement even on a seasoned horse. It’s not just ride the movement. And you will have to continue to learn how to teach a movement on a different horse regardless how many times you have done it. It is a never ending story.

I would pick the Appaloosa unless the lack of an indoor will limit your riding time. Having the horse with more training will be of no use if you can’t ride it because the ring is frozen.

[QUOTE=joiedevie99;7916583]
I would pick the Appaloosa unless the lack of an indoor will limit your riding time. Having the horse with more training will be of no use if you can’t ride it because the ring is frozen.[/QUOTE]

That’s one of my biggest concerns. I’m sure i could make it work but as a college student with a job I often have to ride in the evening and if it’s dark and there’s no indoor/ lighting… I might not get to ride very often. Especially over the winter.

I’m sure that both would be fine and you can’t go wrong.

If you want to show at recognized shows at First Level, the tie-breakers should be (1) light off the leg, very responsive and (2) good trainer. That combination can get you also to show Second Level, as well.

Sounds like both trainers are good - you can check their show records on Centerlinescores.com, too.

Still, I pick the Freisian cross.

Congrats on two good prospects! Leasing a horse is a good idea, you can end it and move on to another one or change trainers - stay independent!

IIRC you are in South West, and not in an are where an indoor is absolutely necessary. There fore I would go with the first horse.

Otherwise a 6 month lease of the other horse would do no harm, as you are a long way from needing flying changes.

Forgive me, if I am misunderstanding, but you previously posted that your background is in dressage.

You also have posted that you are joining the College team, doing h/j and equitation.

And you also said you have a strong background in Western.

Many people jump from discipline to discipline, but I’m confused as to your prior statement that your background is in Western and dressage, yet you state you are a New dressage rider here, and previously you said you were new to huntseat and jumping, and you also are interested in eventing.

If the college team thing didn’t work out for jumping, and you are beginning dressage, and you do not have a background in dressage as you already said, then I think either horse is fine for you while you figure out exactly what it is you want to do. It’s good to have goals like the bronze medal, but as anyone in the sport will tell you, the basics are important regardless of what level you ride or what metals you earn.

Whichever horse makes more sense logistically might be the better option, as if you are a college student paying for these lessons your self, it can be difficult to work it all in and still remain a good student.

Good luck, and have fun.

[QUOTE=right horse at the right time;7916667]
Forgive me, if I am misunderstanding, but you previously posted that your background is in dressage.

You also have posted that you are joining the College team, doing h/j and equitation.

And you also said you have a strong background in Western. [/QUOTE]

Yes, I suppose I should clarify that: I started out riding western when I was a kid, but never really took to it. Dressage was always my interest but most of my riding experience has been general english riding, schooling horses for friends and playing around with my mare. Never had consistent instruction in English riding until recently, when i got a job and could afford lessons. Spent 6 months taking dressage lessons on a schoolmaster. I learned a lot but never actually competed or learned much about how to put a test together. When that situation fell apart, I started trying to move a friend’s horse up the levels and worked with a dressage trainer for a few months on him - but he was a bracy hunter type so I learned mostly suppling/ training things rather than how to actually ride a test. I say my background is dressage, because it is. Dressage is what I’ve always gravitated towards and it’s where I’ve had the most consistent instruction. I’m committed to sticking to it for years and years to come. But I’m still a newbie and I know that.

I did join the school’s hunter IHSA team (because that’s the only English discipline we have and I figured learning to jump might be fun/ helpful if I ever want to dabble in eventing) and have been/ continue to show with them, but the hunter style was never my favorite. So I’ll keep competing and training with the team, but I want a horse I can do dressage with as that’s always been my main goal.

Probably more information than you needed, but I just wanted to clarify. :smiley:

If you want to move up the levels:

1. get a good trainer
  2. find a horse you enjoy riding and that is a good teacher
  3. find a place where you can ride on your schedule.

if either horse/barn/trainer combination would put you at a disadvantage in one or more areas, then pick the other one.

I think we need pictures of both horses to really help you make a decision. :smiley:

Choose the one that makes you smile more :slight_smile: Dressage can be so enjoyable with a partner that you adore. There is so much to learn, it can often be daunting and feel like it takes so long to improve but when you have a partner that puts a smile on your face (ear to ear) then the entire journey is awesome not just getting to each of your set goals. I think you will learn the most and be most successful that way :slight_smile:

I am going to say neither horse, keep looking. If you are interested in your bronze you need something that is getting scores in the 60s at 2nd and at least schooling third. Neither horse has the training you need for getting your bronze or teaching you more than basic dressage. Both horses would be suitable for someone interested in doing well at training level and learning how to school a horse to first.

Take a lesson on each horse and decide who you like better teaching you.

[QUOTE=KLCarp;7916871]
I think we need pictures of both horses to really help you make a decision. :D[/QUOTE]

Well the ones I have are pretty low quality (taken with ancient iPhone), and I don’t have any of me riding, but here you are:

The Appaloosa (don’t have any under saddle sadly):
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r635/zaparaquah/ChloeTied.jpg
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r635/zaparaquah/ChloeTacked.jpg

The Friesian X Percheron (that’s her trainer riding her):
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r635/zaparaquah/Zetatrot.jpg
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r635/zaparaquah/Zetaface.jpg
And I have some very brief video of her basic paces under saddle as well.
http://vid1175.photobucket.com/albums/r635/zaparaquah/IMG_3353.mp4
http://vid1175.photobucket.com/albums/r635/zaparaquah/IMG_3351.mp4

[QUOTE=DaniW;7917005]
Take a lesson on each horse and decide who you like better teaching you.[/QUOTE]

I have taken lessons on both. I really liked both trainers, but the Friesian cross’s trainer seemed like a slightly better fit for my riding style.

I quite like the draft cross–very cute and looks light for her breeding, as you mentioned. If you are still having a trainer than I say go for it–you will both benefit and hopefully have some fun along the way. I do pity your toes, though. Dismounting from 18hh in the winter doesn’t sound fun to me :s

Go with the Appaloosa with a note i the contract that the lease can be moved, after 6 months, to another horse with the same, or more, dressage experience at third level or higher.

To get a serious, focused start, I would go with the trainer you think you can get the most from - IE good personality fit, understanding of your knowledge level, good teaching skills, etc. Since this is a lease, I think either horse could work for you.

I suggest going with the draft cross as well, especially since you seem to prefer that trainer. The Appy is 17, owned by a silver medalist and doesn’t have confirmed changes so I would venture it is unlikely she will move up the levels.

While it would be great if you found a horse that was already showing successfully at 3rd level and beyond, you really don’t need that now. Besides, it’s a lease so you have much more flexibility than if you were looking to buy at this points. If you could negotiate a month to month lease, you would have the most flexibility.

Good Luck!