Unlimited access >

New Eventing Fiction (and thanks)

A number of months ago, I posted a thread asking for advice about how to research an eventing novel I was writing set in Vermont.

Lots of people who ‘hang out’ in this forum gave me great advice…and I was also able to find a editor/fact checker who was also an eventer that lived in the area.

I hope it’s not too spammy but the novel has finally been published. The e-version is only $2.99 (and what horse stuff can you get for $2.99 :lol:)?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZAO9E58?Version=1&entries=0

Again, I hope it’s not too spammy but I hate it when people ask for advice…and then you never find out how the story ended!

Oh, and I know a number of people were concerned the book would be too National Velvet-y and about a poor young rider who won every contest on a horse bought for nothing. Given the title of the book is Fortune’s Fool, it’s definitely not that kind of book!

Ok I’ll bite. I followed the link and I can get it in Kindle or paperback. Can I get it for an e-reader other than Kindle? (I have a Kobo.)

[QUOTE=Blugal;8185504]
Ok I’ll bite. I followed the link and I can get it in Kindle or paperback. Can I get it for an e-reader other than Kindle? (I have a Kobo.)[/QUOTE]

I know that Amazon offers a free app you can download so you don’t need to buy a Kindle…there is a program called ‘Kindle Select’ which makes the e-book available only in the Kindle store for 90 days that I deliberately DIDN’T opt into right away, because I have friends that purchase e-books elsewhere. If I get really desperate regarding sales, I can always opt into it at a later date :lol:

I’ve bought it! I’ll read it on my upcoming nighshifts, if we’re not busy :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=flight;8185545]
I’ve bought it! I’ll read it on my upcoming nighshifts, if we’re not busy :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it and if nothing else it passes the time! I used to work nights and can’t say I miss it!

Exciting!! I am all for new horsey fiction!!

I’m not one for spur of the moments buys, and to be honest, a little advantageous to post on a forum a sales link…but I bit.

Got the book and will read. I’m a sucker for a good horse tale and that you mixed EVenting into it, +1 :slight_smile: I’d rather print, my phone screen is somewhat small for reading though I did get through a Jules Verne novel, but will look forward to diving into the story.

I see you wrote another teenageish story with a feel good bend. Might try that next, but were one open to ideas, an adult protagonist would have more connection to a lot of adult Eventer/horse people. Perhaps older adult getting into the sport, a goal to win something big (Prelim 3 day for example), but hits the frustrations and tries to deal with the pressures of adult life to make a dream come true. Not that I’m living that story :wink: but it would be one I’d connect with.

Ah…Got it on the phone…time to read

Thanks everyone! And yes, sorry if a bit spammy but I had trolled earlier asking for advice about the novel and I’ve seen other writers do the same in other forums on the board…and then they never update with a link to the actual novel and I’m like, “hey, I would have liked to have read that!”

@JP60–I agree that there isn’t enough fiction about ‘older’ people in the horse world. Hopefully since the e-book market has allowed so many people to publish that might not otherwise been able to ‘sell’ a story to a major publishing house, more unconventional stories will be told in the future.

Awesome. Count me in for it. Thanks for the follow-up and the link.

And I concur with JP60, there is definitely not enough good fiction for women in their middle years about anything really IMHO. Finding it and it involving horses/eventing would be gold. I will be 49 this year and just did my first Novice on my oldest guy who is only 7 and have two more behind him. The ladies I ride with are all in their 30s and a few are like me in their 40s and finally have time to get more serious about their riding and goals now that the kids are less under foot or even out of the house.