Unlimited access >

New farm, let's build some stuff

They’re 16 OC, 2x10s. Its likely overbuilt for my needs but I’d rather that than the opposite!

6 Likes

Sometimes stuff isn’t elegant, but it’s functional. Grabbed another few inches of height to start the sheeting.

Unpacking that stack from the delivery, I found out the frame on the door for the tack room is broken. Loading it into the truck bed to (hopefully) be returned tomorrow.

4 Likes

Looks great so far. I need to go do some wood work in my own barn. Your inspiring me to diy by myself vs making my husband help.

4 Likes

I have a fear of making mistakes. I am addressing that flaw in myself with this project. If it isn’t perfect, that’s ok. It’s with your hands it is built, and that alone is amazing. You can do it!

You’ll never learn the ocean if you never push off the shore.

9 Likes

My lift rig is not enough, still having to fight them up. I’m standing on the stairs push/pulling them through the opening.

It is SUPER cool to be sitting up there for the first time. :smiley:

16 Likes

Just the little pieces left, to be tackled tomorrow. Overall I’m not even going to try to match the tongue/groove aspect, or I’ll waste too much material.

Cool view of the trusses from up here.

21 Likes

Looking good!

I see a hammer and a drill. Are you using nails or screws?

1 Like

Screws. I cheat and start them with a hammer, it goes way way faster - just enough to give them a little bite so they don’t skid around.

5 Likes

I once had someone tell me that screwdrivers were for removing screws, hammers were for putting them in.

I don’t go that far, but do the same as you whenever possible.

It’s looking great. You are a force to be reckoned with!

3 Likes

I use screws whenever possible. Generally, I find that if you need to remove or replace something, screws simplify it.

Now watch, I’ll go strip one. :rofl::rofl:

I will be using nails (air gun) for framing the walls of the tack room.

6 Likes

Measure 18 times, plumb it a couple dozen, take a break to reconsider, check everything 5 more times, THEN air nail it.

Had a guy in a while back to frame some stuff in my home. He didn’t follow clear directions including having everything taped out on the floor. He is gone. I am swearing a blue streak taking the mistakes apart while trying to save the lumber I paid for. Goes up real fast and easy. Careful demolition not as fast and easy :frowning:

4 Likes

Nothing in here is plumb or square but I’ll do my best!

3 Likes

or you can get a Morgan horse to tell you how it supposed to be done and show you that you are supposed to hold that hammer this way (but I can not get it in my mouth)

5 Likes

Sheeting is done. So am I for the day, I’m sore and not paying attention.

Tomorrow will be shoring up some structural stuff that I cut in the beginning, maybe a stair handrail. After that, it’s time to put the pavers down which will be the base of the grooming area and the tack room. I’ll be glad to be back in my element for awhile!

12 Likes

The picture looking down the steps reminded me of the “ladders” on Navy ships. They had rails on either side made of pipe. Going down you’d just grab the two rails and slide. Feet never touched the
steps. Unless you were carrying something. If you google search “navy ship ladder” you will find lots of images of how folks have built ship’s ladders in wood for barn lofts, and ideas for rails.
IMG_0873

2 Likes

I’m only planning on putting a railing on one side, but that is an idea. They’re steep going down, for sure!!

1 Like

I love self-drilling screws (vs nails) and it took me over 50 years to discover (and fall in love with) impact drivers. (All these years, I thought certain people were just more special at not stripping screws–no–I think they were using impact drivers! No more stripped screws!))

3 Likes

That little guy is an impact driver, purchased at the start of the project when i found it on sale. Self starting screws sound good, but I’m putting in so many I need to be cost conscious too!

2 Likes

Nothing worse than putting in lots of screws with equipment that isn’t powerful enough—that’s how I gave myself a very bad case of tennis elbow. I stick to nails now :joy:

2 Likes

Worse yet, we built some cattle pens a good 50+ years ago out of railroad ties and 2" x 6" rough cut lumber and lag bolts with this old timey handy-dandy tool.
Is is still hanging on the wall as a reminder of what hell looks like, an eternity of building such pens.
Took forever and a bit. :roll_eyes:

Image 16
+

17 Likes