Unlimited access >

New “Forage Only” Complete Feed

soy is a legume, that’s not a grain, and it’s not in this product anyway.

Where do you see wheat? It lists literally just " Alfalfa + Beet Pulp + Flax Seed Oil" and " Forage Only Blend" (which isn’t quiiiiite right since there’s an oil, but still - no wheat. Or soy.)

I agree, the whole “forage based” craze is out of control. If you’re feeding at least 1.5% of the diet as forage, you’re ALREADY feeding forage-based.

it says
" * By adding a ration balancer/multi-vitamin, “Unbeetable” becomes a complete feed – additional hay/forage needs are reduced if not eliminated."

It’s forage. Period. With some flax oil for Omega 3 and additional calories.

Just like feeding just hay, or just grass, you still need to add a ration balancer, forage balancer, or godo quality v/m supplement.

nearly all of them contain soy, and not all horses can handle soy. There’s a really valid market for this product

7 Likes

I’m also interested in trying it! The price really is not out of line with what plain alfalfa cubes / pellets and beet pulp costs around here ($21-26 per bag for 40-50 lb bags). If you’re already feeding these things in some combination, it would be nice to minimize mixing and storage needs, if nothing else.

My one concern is that Tractor Supply tends to suck at stocking and proper feed storage.

6 Likes

Yeah, I’m hoping Southern States will get this since they already use their plain beet pulp.

1 Like

I pay $18.99 for a 20kg bag of alfalfa cubes (same price for pellets) and if I were still buying beet pulp I’d be paying $17.99 for a 20kg bag at Peavey in Ontario.

ETA, also remember the exchange. $25 USD is about $34 Canuck. and $25 Canuck is about $18 USD

Where did you find the pricing information?

@Arlomine and @JB I think you may be both confused? I think Arlomine may have been replying to the ingredients list for Tribute Kalm and EZ which does have soy and wheat shorts. Or maybe Arlomine got the Tribute label and the Unbeetable ingredient list confused?

2 Likes

I agree, I am guessing that @Arlomine read my post and did not realize the label I posted was in response to the post about the Tribute Kalm and EZ.

I have edited my post above to make that more clear.

1 Like

Wow, you’re lucky! I’m not very close to a Peavey store so I’m at the mercy of the feed stores.

1 Like

That so sucks :frowning: I hope you’re at least getting 25kg bags for that price!

Sadly no. That’s for a 50 lb (22.68 kg) bag. :sweat_smile:

There is a soy-free Kalm N EZ now too. It’s $29.99 on Chewy or $28.49 if you autoship.
Ingredient list:
Beet Pulp, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Ground Flaxseed Meal, Canola Meal, Canola Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Salt, Active Dry Yeast, Yeast Culture, Brewers Dried Yeast, Calcium Sulfate, Calcium Citrate, Vitamin A Supplement, d-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, dl-alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Esters of L-Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin D Supplement, Magnesium Oxide, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, L-Threonine, Biotin Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Choline Chloride, Niacin, Riboflavin, Beta Carotene, Thiamine Mononitrate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate, Diatomaceous Earth, Bentonite, Sodium Bentonite, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Aspergillus niger Fermentation Extract, Kelp Meal, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium thermophilum Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium longum Fermentation Product, Dried Trichoderma reesei Fermentation Extract, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Selenium Yeast, Propionic Acid (as preservative), Natural and Artificial Flavors.

1 Like

I can’t find this. Can you link?

I can’t tell if you’re asking me, but in case you are, here’s the link:

Tribute Kalm N EZ Soy-Free

1 Like

Sounds very similar to Haystack Special Blend, which is a very popular pelleted feed on the west coast. From memory, I believe that it contains these three ingredients, plus canola oil and rice bran. The pellets are small, but absorb a ton of water. I know a couple horses who have choked on HSB. I probably wouldn’t feed this dry, either.

2 Likes

Wow. This looks perfect. I can add a bit of rice bran to this to up the fat an calories.

2 Likes

I just checked Tractor Supply…one can now order this on line for delivery. Does the iron in this give any cause for concern in IR horses who are also receiving a good vitamin/mineral product?

1 Like

381ppm doesn’t bother me at all. That’s less than alfalfa averages 426ppmg) and way less than beet pulp averages (637ppm) (per Equi-Analytical). It’s a little higher than grass forages average, which is fine for me. As long as you have enough Cu and Zn, which for the IR horse may be a bit more than the healthy horse that’s fine.

3 Likes

Thank you very much!

1 Like

I’m bummed. Tractor Supply doesn’t even have this in their warehouses yet. The TS employee I spoke with said they don’t have any idea when it’s coming yet.

I just found this locally at Buchheit and decided to pick up a bag to try. My hard keeper mare gets quite a bit of soaked beet pulp, but can sometimes decide she doesn’t like it anymore and will pick at it instead of eat it all. I’m curious to see if this will interest her more. It is quite a bit more expensive than pelleted beet pulp I feed, at $24/50 lbs, vs $18/50 lbs.

*edited to fix spelling

1 Like