Unlimited access >

New Ford F-150 Lightning electric?

If you want the Platinum Edition you won’t be able to get the Max Tow Package. The site says only the PRO, XLT, and Lariat editions get it.

Also the Max payload of 2,000lbs is only available to the standard battery, 18" wheel version.

Keep in mind the huge 400 cubic inch Frunk (front trunk) that it also has. A lockable, all weather trunk in a truck with power ports and a drain.

3 Likes

Having a “newer” diesel truck as well as a hybrid vehicle, my concerns would be 1) mileage towing, and 2) the software/computer tech parts. Not so much the engine itself.

2 Likes

You may be allowed to just plug it into a 110 at the hospital. You’re be surprised how many outlets are in parking lots. You don’t see them until you need them.

And I promise, once the hospital officials get EVs, chargers will appear like mushrooms after the rain.

Do you think they will install outlets in the middle of the field where we park for events too?

1 Like

Wouldn’t that be nice? They might if the noise of everyone’s generators gets too annoying…

2 Likes

Yes, 110 is usually available, but that’s barely more than a trickle charge. Unlikely to give me enough to get home again.

We’ve had Teslas since the first Roadster, btw, so I’m not unfamiliar with EVs and I’m definitely a big fan. Just not for towing, yet.

3 Likes

Lol, defeats the purpose a titch, perhaps…

I have a Leaf, trickle charge is sufficient. But yeah, I see the towing problems. The lack of gearing is sometimes a problem

How long does it take to charge using a trickle charge?

I think that was the point being made about the trickle charge, that it takes quite a bit of time which would not work well when trucking a horse.

1 Like

About 8 hours, but I understand the time issue. It also depends on how big your battery is. Mine is only 16kwh, so it charges faster.

It would also depend on how depleted the battery is when you get there. Most batteries charge faster when empty, then charging slows as they get closer to capacity.

I agree that towing would probably require a hybrid system until batteries get much more space efficient.

1 Like

Curious how braking would be while towing. I have a hybrid, and I just replaced my brakes for the first time after 120k+ miles. You just don’t use them much until very low speeds because of the energy return braking that happens first. But I wonder what the feel/response would be like having trailer brakes attached. Would the braking feel be similar? Not enough? Grabby?

2 Likes

Tangent question - what do you mean? The car slows down on its own? I am confused.

No you brake but there’s a different braking feel since the pads don’t really engage much because as soon as you take your foot off the gas, the motor goes into reverse essentially, to capture the braking energy back as electricity. To an extent then, the car does slow down on its own (but it’s not calibrated to be capturing a LOT of energy usually because that would make your drive really jerky). But, you don’t have to really press on the brakes much (engage the physical brakes) unless you need faster braking power by having both the regenerative braking and the physical brakes engaged. Under standard braking this isn’t much use of the physical brakes until you get to very low speeds where there’s little regenerative energy to capture (talking like 10mph).

There’s always that balance with setting up your trailer brakes to have enough braking from the trailer brakes without them getting grabby. But I guess since I modulate the brake pedal a little differently in the hybrid vehicle and assume that braking feel would also be different in an electric vehicle than it is in my diesel truck, what happens when you have trailer brakes (conventional brakes) hooked up to an electric vehicle?

4 Likes

Great question. On the plus side you often hear advice concerning stopping ability when towing horses, so this could put the electric engine ahead, but the feel might be different or take some adjusting.

There has gone a while since this thread was opened. Has anyone real world experience now? I am particularly interested to hear about the logistics of charging on the road with a horsetrailer attached

They can tow about 90 miles on a full charge. We discussed them on another thread about EVs.