Unlimited access >

New Holland Tractor battery issue

We have a New Holland 3900 tractor and are having a repetitive issue with the battery. The first battery died, but was still under warranty so it was replaced. The second battery died, and when we put the charger on it the charger never acknowledged the battery being connected pulled the battery and found it had swelled up, and was replaced. The third battery is dead, connected it to two different chargers, and neither recognize that the battery is connected. Both chargers recognized other batteries. Any thoughts, or are we just jinxed?

just a guess but sounds like to me that the voltage regular of the tractor is faulty overcharging the battery causing the battery to fail (the bloated battery to me indicates over charging especially repeated incidents)

The voltage regular maybe inside the alternator or close to the alternator if a separate item

Thank you. I should have added that a mechanic did look at the tractor after the second battery - but I’m thinking it’s worth another look. The second and third batteries didn’t last a month.

an easy check is to have a known fully charged battery in the tractor then check the charging voltage, If the battery is fully charged (12.4 to 12.6 volts) and you see that it being supplied something like 14 to 15 volts by the alternator then the regulator is not doing its job.

I have to agree, this does not sound like a battery issue at this point, it sounds like a tractor issue.

1 Like

Thank you clanter! I’ll check that tomorrow.