Unlimited access >

New Holland tractor no fuel to injectors

I have a New Holland TZ22da with just shy of 300 hours. This past winter it was taking longer to start than usual, then a few weeks ago it started stuttering and dying in the middle of mowing, moving hay, etc.

I replaced both fuel filters, including the whole water separator apparatus, but the issue continued, and it was so rough at that point it was impossible to bleed the lines. Then, when I went back the next day to diagnose more, it just wouldn’t start at all. I did some trouble-shooting and determined fuel was getting to the injector pump and stopping there. Replaced the injector pump today with a “new” one, still no fuel coming out of it. Anyone have any ideas on WTF is going on with my tractor??

I am new to DIY tractor repairs; I’ve been doing most of my own car repairs for many years but I don’t have diesel vehicles.

I have a mechanic scheduled to come Monday but would really love to try and fix it myself. Any help is greatly appreciated. In fact, I paid this same mechanic to look at it last week, and he confirmed my thoughts about it needing a new injector pump so I ordered one. But, since it isn’t working still with the new pump, I guess he missed something? I mean, he spent a whopping 20 minutes fiddling with hoses and stuff so, if it ends up being the solenoid or something, I’m going to be pretty annoyed since I paid for an hour of diagnostics and he didn’t do anything I hadn’t already done.

Did you blow out the fuel lines? Had this same sort of thing happen with our little JD, and after draining the fuel tank (twice, hahahaha) I blew out the fuel lines with the compressor and TA-DA it worked fine again. Super frustrating problem, but very satisfying to get it running again.

Yep, that was part of the troubleshooting and determining it is getting to the injector pump

Sounds like an obstruction somewhere. I would have guessed fuel line :woman_shrugging:

Fuel is coming out of all hoses with good pressure. Including the hose from the water separator to the injector pump. It just doesn’t then come out of the injector pump.