Unlimited access >

New Horse Number Two!

We have been “sort of” shopping for a younger horse to go in a Four. Always need spare horses as one ages or gets temporarily sidelined. Shopping for partbred Cleveland Bays not terribly far from home, need to “believe” it will hit the 16-17h mark, though they can fool you! We have two that SHOULD have gotten that height but did not. It has made for some fun day trips going out to see them. Does seem that they are all fillies, but no one has geldings or colts advertised.

We had pretty much decided to go with a 2yr old, 3yrs in August, accidental breeding. Owner had sold his Cleveland except for the filly. She is nicely leggy, looks immature, leaving us hope she will grow more. Very friendly, just not trained to do anything, so lots of education needed.

THEN some Cleveland Bay friends said there is a purebred Cleveland going thru the Auction in Mt Hope Ohio. We read the sale blurb on him, watched his video, looked very nice. Called and talked to the seller, previous owner, got all the details. Both said he is the nicest stallion you will ever meet. Selling because he will only pasture breed, can’t collect for shipping which is where the money is. No one wants to pasture breed their mares!

DD said she would farm sit while we attended the sale. Husband said we might as well take the truck and trailer, save having to go back 5 hours both ways if we won him. Off we went on a nice sunny day! Funny thing about Mt Hope is that there really is no direct route, to get there on a bigger highway. Not bad 2-lane highways, but lots of wandering if coming from the northwest. We got there eventually, parked and went looking for the horse.

Have to say it is a rabbit warren of stalls, narrow aisles that do not intersect evenly, connecting buildings and no one to ask questions! We wandered for quite a while! Stalls did have horse lot numbers, often several on the same stall holding only one horse. We sure felt like Auction rookies! Ha ha Obviously OTHER people had no issue with their system, just us. We finally located the horse by the stall number, which was good because horse was tied face to the aisle, rump number to the back wall, could not be seen. He was in with a second horse, also tied facing aisle, sharing a hay net. He was pretty recognizable as a Cleveland, good breed representative. LOTS of hair, forelock to his halter noseband, mane to his point of shoulder and long curly tail. Many people like long hair, so maybe a good selling point, like Fresians with their long manes.

The seller showed up while we were looking, said it was fine to examine him up close, so we did. He then pulled horse out for us to check the other side. Seller talked about using him, his skills, attitude. Said he could work beside a mare or gelding, be turned out with either, but not both, which is common sense! Always a gentleman when you were using him. They would have horse out to be shown ridden and driven the next day. We said we would see them then and headed for the motel.

I dragged husband out pretty early, got the free breakfast and headed to the auction. I was worried we would have to park way out back with the longer truck and trailer, did not want to have to walk a couple miles everytime I put something in the truck! Being early, we scored a front row parking spot!! Then had to get a bidder number and start the waiting. The main sale arena is large, seats 7000 I was told. We walked to the warm up arenas, one mostly driven horses, huge. All kinds of driving horses displaying their skills, speed, gaits. Plenty of room to go fast! Ridden horses were outside the fenced area, also a nice size space slightly bigger than the large sale ring. Hillside to sit on and watch everyone go. Certainly a lot of action to keep your eyes occupied. This was the light horses, labeled Crossbred Sale Day. Just about any combination you could think of plus registered purebreds, AQHA, Fresian crosses, Standardbreds, Appaloosas, Paint, Pinto, half-drafts, a branded Noriker stallion, the Cleveland, a couple Cleveland crossbred mares and others.

Not having been to an Amish sale in years, “things are different now!” Quite a number of Amish ladies riding sale horses!! Total shock there. They wear leggings under long skirts, cowboy boots, some had spurs. Skirts got pulled up, legs modestly covered while riding. They definately had “SKILZ” with their horses! I was quite impressed with good horsemanship displayed. One Amish lady had her horse doing nice lateral work at trot and canter, horse also did 1-2-3 tempi changes, everything shown in both directions. Light on the reins and leg, horse was calm, quiet, both in makeup and sale rings. He was a good looking pinto color, refined, breedy appearance, sold pretty well! The ladies did not stand on horses or crack bullwhips like the male riders. We were pretty amazed at how quiet most horses were in the sale arena, took the tarp waving, standing on, whip-cracking without reaction. Only one younger horse hopped his rump up as rider swung his arm to crack his whip. Rider stayed standing on two hops, then came off to land on his feet. Husband applauded! Horse stopped and went back to guy, looked like horse was saying “We didn’t practice that enough at home!”

We did not think any of our own horses would have done well in the noise and excitement! Probably have a BIG meltdown going thru the sale ring. Guess we need to raise our expectations higher.

FINALLY the Cleveland was ridden into the ring, showed WTC as they took bids. Quite a few bidders. As the bidding slowed, stopped, we won the horse!! He went a bit over budget, but husbands “says” he doesn’t need any birthday, Father’s Day or Christmas gifts this year! Horse covers them all! Well that will make holidays easy. Ha ha

We got horse paid for, moved the truck much closer to the barn and brought him out. Horse is very respectful of your space, but it was a LOOONNG walk at dusk thru mobs of people, horses waiting to be sold, to reach the trailer. No horse talking, no reaction to being crowded, just going where directed. I filled a hay net with auction hay they were feeding him, hiked out to trailer, husband had horse loaded already. A couple nice people held the door upen while a truck behind lit up the trailer with headlights. Husband said horse is a u-aim-it-loader, get out of his way! Tromped right up the ramp, into the stall. Shut the butt bar, swung the gates closed, while I arrived to stuff hay net in to eat. He rode well, peed when we stopped for fuel.

Trip home was long after being up so early. Rain came, wipers gave up! Good thing the road lines were bright. Rains were intermittant, so no wipers was not a huge issue. Then despite blowing horn, a blasted deer jumped out in the road about 10 miles from home, ran in circles!! Yeah, we hit it. Not going to try stopping fast, put horse in the manger. Luckily truck is tall, deer went down between the wheels under. No steam, no loss of power, so we did not stop. Got home about 1AM. Parked the truck and trailer. Went in the barn, moved Lincoln out of the box stall to a tie stall, fed him. Picked up box stall poop, refilled bucket, more hay, unloaded Luke and walked down the aisle into his new stall. Our horses were noisy, Luke was quiet, gave the stall a once-over, got a big drink and started eating. We closed things up, left the nightlight on for Luke and went in the house to bed. We were whipped!

Luke’s good manners have remained in place, seems very nice in all catagories. Husband did some ground work with him, fitted a single harness. He is amazingly broad-chested, needed Bug’s old breastcollar. Everything else in a single breastcollar was way too small. Rest of harness parts fit fine, same size as Lincoln and Hawk. We dug out the 2-wheel cart, single horse 4-wheeler to drive him with. Then the rain came, too muddy after one cart drive to drive recently. Luke is learning bit contact does not mean stop, using his outside rein after a little confusion.

I think we got the sale unicorn! He is amazing. Not sure who trained him but they sure put good manners on him! We were told he drives single, pair and 4-abreast for farm work. Works beside mares and geldings without issue. Was used as a breaking horse. Just need some more good weather to try his other skills. 5 inches of snow Friday, is finally melting, back to mud the cart wheels will cut way into. So more turnout time with Wicker, they are getting very friendly.

17 Likes

I can’t believe you don’t have any pictures to share. He sounds wonderful!

6 Likes

Yeah!
Pics or it didn’t happen :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Kidding!

Sounds like you & Mr Goodhors truly did get a Unicorn! :+1:
Will you geld Luke, or start “building your own”?
Any chance the Fall Ntl Drive will see Team Goodhors this year?
I have so many questions… :roll_eyes:

I’m hoping to bring my Bugs (the Travel Size) this year w/o having to win a lottery.
IIRC, Sterling Graburn will be one of the clinicians & I’d like to book a lesson.

Pls keep us updated - as you always do :smiley: - with pics of your new guy. :pray:

2 Likes

Congratulations! And we absolutely need pics. I was wondering about gelding, too, or leaving him intact.

The whole trip sounds like an adventure.

Rebecca

1 Like

Husband says he can be a stallion as long as he stays a gentleman. He seems fine without screaming or acting up with the three mares two fields away. Not even looking at them much though they were in season.

We have seen a couple older stallions gelded late, “lose their courage” in work afterwards. Rather a surprise as they were quite bold when entire. Not wanting to go out alone, spooking now at little things. So if we can leave him alone, we will. We have also seen late gelded breeding stallions who were EXCELLENT geldings after, use them anyplace, boldly forward. He has been out with 2 of the geldings, one who ran Luke off the hay pile and bit him on the rump! The second day things settled, they will share a feeder now, stand quietly together. The other two geldings are questionable, but one may settle in time. He is afraid of Luke when put beside him in the tie stall with an openwork iron divider. Hugging the wall away from Luke, kicking air, so we moved gelding to a different stall after an hour. The old horse HATES Luke, has been screaming at him when led past the box stall. Husband is being careful since old horse was rearing, striking at the dividing wall! Kind of a shock, the old horse has never acted like that, but also never had an older stallion on the farm before. Husband thinks the old horse is defending “his” mares from Luke. It sure was a surprise with him acting that way!

1 Like

Horses!
Just when you think you’ve seen every type of behavior… :astonished:
Like sounds like a Good Boy.
Maybe your Old Guy will settle for an Armed Truce?

I had a TWH, gelded at 8 (at least one registered foal) I got him as a 10yo. Never showed me any studly behavior.
Friend had an OTTB, raced until he was 8, when she bought him & gelded.
Turned out to be a good Showjumper.

& Yeah, we still need pics :wink:

1 Like

Huge congrats! He sounds wonderful and perfect :slight_smile:

1 Like

No good photos, my digital seems to always be a fraction behind the action for a “perfect picture.” it is not a very expensive camera, but usually does alright.

Here is a link to his Utube sales video. He does indeed do all the things shown! it is an older video.

17 Likes

He is beautiful! So happy for you!

Rebecca

1 Like

Well the 2yr old filly stayed on my mind after the Auction. So I gave the owner another call. Yes he would be willing to take less… so I bought her!! Sent a deposit. Had to wait on the paperwork, basic Vet check (heart, lungs, eyes) since she has never been worked. She passed, Coggins came back negative, so we headed down Apr 6th when seller would be home.

Got up early, turned horses out and off down the road. Nice sunny day with hours ahead of us to go. After crossing into Ohio we started seeing signs of ‘No Parking On Roadsides’ and ‘Heavy Traffic Expected’ which we guessed were for Eclipse visitors Monday. LOTS of signs. Made us glad we would be long gone by then! We finally arrived, parked trailer on a flattish spot for loading. Got the details settled, paperwork in hand. Now to get her loaded. Not handled much but friendly. We got her to the trailer, even got front feet on the ramp! But she just hunkered down, NOT going forward! We let seller try his ideas, but she stopped at the ramp edge. So she got a shot, they pulled and pushed her up the ramp and I SHUT THE DOOR! We got the people out, left her in to relax and let the meds dissapate. Learned more about her, told him what we planned for her, then we headed home again. Stopped a short ways later for lunch, let her stand some more. She was in a box stall, not tied, had turned to face the rear, looking a lot more alert, not moving while we were parked. We stopped a few more times to give her a rest, got fuel. Arrived home about 12 hours after we left, parked the truck.

Husband brought our horses in, fed and watered them. DD had stopped by, cleaned stalls for us while her puppy played with our dogs to wear him out! Nice coming home to clean stalls! Filly had turned around, finally nibbling some hay from the net. We then got a lead rope on filly, opened the big door and persuaded her to walk down the ramp into the barn aisle. She was kind of in a chute with sawdust shed wall on one side, with wide trailer door on the other. Only option was down the ramp onto the barn cement aisle. Far aisle door was closed. The boys were talking to her, though she was not answering. She finally got the idea to move forward with some gentle pulling and clucking. Walked down ramp, NOT leaping off the trailer. NICE! Husband got her up close and they walked down the aisle to her stall. More persuading and she entered. Had to look things over. Nothing like her previous stall! He turned her loose and came out, shut the door. He fetched her hay, let her see that we provide the food. Filled her bucket, got a small feeding of wet beet pulp for the manger, then out again. She took her time sniffing and checking things over. “You are not in Kansas anymore Dorothy!” we told her. Finally she started nibbling the hay after a big drink. I wasn’t sure if she would drink from a bucket, they had a water tank at her previous location. Refilled the bucket and headed inside.

We checked on her a couple more times before going to bed ourselves. She seemed easy, was eating, had horse company. Left the nightlight on! Ha ha No excitement the next AM. Turned the others but one, out. He has a hematoma in his hoof that we are poulticing and keeping him inside and out of the mud. She has been getting leading and handling lessons as we go thru the barn yesterday and today. Keeps improving. I am glad to see no wild reactions to the first loading, no attempts to kick or leap about since then. Willing, mostly, comes to mind. I can like willing! Letting us “catch her” in the stall pretty easy now that we are not strangers. More ground work, round pen work ahead. She likes grooming with the shedding hair, comes over for that!! Needs tying lessons implanted so she can get introduced thru tie stall dividers to the mares ahead of turnout together. Seems to be MUCH less fuss between horses when first loose in the field, after spending a couple nights beside each other during the overnight time in the tie stalls.

Still working on a name. Registered name sounds too similar to another horse’s name, for giving commands in a Four. Hope she puts in some more growth upward. Looking very weedy and immature at the moment. She is Cleveland and STB. No pictures yet.

8 Likes

I can’t believe the lack of pictures. Honestly! :wink: I’m not familiar with Cleveland Bays, but Standardbreds can go through a weedy phase. We’ve had a couple we were wondering what the heck we’d bought after the yearling sales. I hope she catches up!

4 Likes

Congratulation! I am living vicariously through you. So where are the pictures??

Rebecca

Congrats on the future four in hand team member!

aahhhemm! we need pics of both the new filly and the new gelding. … Please.

Congratulations! I don’t have anything to do with driving but the thread caught my eye on the main page and I’m so glad I clicked on it. We had Cleveland Bays when I was a kid and they hold a special place in my heart. Definitely looks like you found a gem with the stallion and I bet the filly will be super too. Best of luck with your lovely horses!

:thinking:So…
With the 2 new additions, you’re not considering a 6? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
:racehorse::racehorse::racehorse:
:racehorse::racehorse::racehorse:

2 Likes