Unlimited access >

New horse... What bridle would work for a mouthy horse?

I really like the action of the PS High Jump. I always put bridles on my arm and tug like reins would just to see how they feel.
With this bridle, I notice when the the lower strap that resembles a flash is tugged (say action of the horses jaw), you get a delicate pressure on the thick padded piece on top of the nose. Gentle and not harsh. A reminder.

Sadly, the bridle fits weird and didn’t work for my new girl.

I also would try the mullen. It’s pricey but consider the Nathe or Duo bits with their soft, formable rubber mouthpiece, if the plain metal mullen snaffle isn’t happy for him. They form to the mouth shape a little better and are nice for a horse that doesn’t like things to move.

and here she goes…

I don’t think there is that much magic in bits as much as the solution ends up being something more physical. Before you experiment with bits make sure that your horses mouth and bars are appropriate for the bit you are using. If he has a “shallow mouth” you will need to adjust your cheek pieces/bit accordingly in addition to making sure the bit is resting on the bars. Generally, a shallow mouth horse’s bit will fit a bit looser to compensate for the shorter lips. If his mouth/lips are deeper, you will need to adjust for that too. I see that this was posted in June, summertime so try checking to see if he is bothered by the sunlight in his face. “”"" Horses with photic headshaking are suspected to experience a burning sensation or tingling of the muzzle (neuropathic pain) in response to bright sunlight . The mechanism may be similar to photic sneezing in humans, in which staring into sunlight triggers sneezing episodes.""""

This is a 4 year old thread…

2 Likes

This thread is many years old and you seem to think I should remember it? You’ll need to explain if you expect anyone to understand.

3 Likes

As the thread is five years old, it would be interesting to know how OP solved the problem with her horse.

1 Like