Unlimited access >

New horse... What bridle would work for a mouthy horse?

A few weeks ago, I finally picked up the newest addition to my family. Pilot is a 10-year old APHA gelding, who was bred as a reiner but turned out to be 16hh… He has done little jumping but so far absolutely loves it, and absolutely adores to go out into the field and pop over logs. Except, I find his is gaping his mouth and toying with his bit a lot, and I feel like he is distracted by doing so. I’ve gone from using a Pelham (the bit he came with when I bought him) to a French-linked snaffle, but to no ado. Pilot just doesn’t seem to want to stop fussing, no matter how gentle the bit. I’ve thought about putting him into a figure 8, but I’m not 100% sure. Are there any bits I could try? Or maybe just a flash? Or would the figure 8 bridle work? I just need to rack up some money, haha.:lol:

Sounds like he has some holes in his training? And could be an issue with your hands? Maybe try reschooling him to the bit. Tying his mouth shut is not a real fix.

12 Likes

I found a Micklem bridle helped with my Morgan mare who could be fussy in the bridle. Also I needed to ride more off of my seat/legs and rely less on the bridle/bit/reins. The Micklem helped a lot though, it just sits differently and works on different pressure points.

2 Likes

I think many people overlook this because it sounds cooler to say it functions on kinder pressure points than a normal bridle, but the Miklem also functions as a quasi-drop noseband - almost a mix between a traditional cavesson and a flash, and a drop.

When I’ve mentioned this before in another venue, I nearly was burnt at the stake… I don’t know why there’s such a cult following for these bridles.

12 Likes

The Micklem can be adjusted many different ways. I found after reading a post from William Micklem on this board that I was probably adjusting mine too snugly. I loosened both straps and my horse was much happier. He was happier from the get go in the Micklem - much less busy with his mouth - but the looser setting works best for him.
I suspect that mostly the answer is good basic dressage work and time, but in the meantime there is no harm in trying some different bits and bridle setups. There is no magic answer that works for every horse - some like a thinner bit, some thicker, some double jointed, some Mullen mouth…

8 Likes

You can also go bitless for a while and see if that helps.

I agree, the Micklem is basically a drop noseband bridle. I’ve seen them in action.

2 Likes

I hear you. It’s amazing how people sometimes turn ugly on here.

I think it might be that classic, “lack of face-to-face conversation and basically misunderstanding of what you were trying to say” but I’ve been burned at the stake too by what I thought was a fairly simple question/concern.
It’s basically like horsey cyber bullying!

5 Likes

Always found my busy mouthed horses went better with fewer moving parts in their mouths. They mess with the pieces too much and have had them sort of work themselves into a tizzy. Some are sensitive to any movement and drive themselves nuts. Mullen mouth or unjointed snaffle with no loose jaw sides, solid only to minimize unwanted movement.

But this sounds like a former Reiner that don’t know nuthin bout contact and the aids used in Hunt seat riding or Dressage. Try dropping back to basics and teaching him what is expected. I would also go back to the bit he came with, nice, solid, Pelham that doesnt move in his mouth. Horses get gappy when a) rider pulls and b) they hate the bit you have them in. He may not be playing with it but trying to spit it out.

Very good chance you have that French link adjusted too tight as well. Two wrinkles is just a starting point, given the fact most QHs have a shallow mouth and many Western folk adjust the snaffle bits a little looser in the mouth so the horse picks it up and holds it is one theory. But the Western trained horses go well looser then Hunt seat standards.

Hope this makes sense to you. You took a 10 year old primarily Western trained horse whose primary work bit has been a solid curb for nearly a decade and whose tine in a snaffle was NOT on contact like English horses and put him in a multi part snaffle that moves a lot and you likely have it too tight for his comfort.

Be sure you keep your legs out of his sides and use more seat and a little voice and back off the kind of contact that’s second nature to an English rider but hated by the Western horse.

He’s new to you, you’ll work it out but there’s no Majikal bit to fix it, just training basics and adapting to his style and preferences based on years in another job. It’s a journey.

16 Likes

How about bridles with easy buckles at the bit?

Try a sidepull with a bit just hanging like you’re just starting. Allow him to settle himself down with a different setup. Then GENTLY take up light contact and gradually work him in to a different way of going. This will not happen overnight.

2 Likes

How does he behave on the longe with side reins properly adjusted?

1 Like

One more suggestion. If he’s primarily been ridden in a curb, he may not be used to tongue pressure.

My husband’s Paint was 14 when we bought him and was used to a curb bit (and very light contact). He was very fussy about snaffles and did a lot of head tossing when we first got him, even with our trainer riding.

I finally found a Myler level 3 with a port that he’s happy with. It’s not USDF dressage legal because the port is too high. I’m not sure about eventing dressage. There are dressage legal ported options if this helps him.

There are are some great suggestions earlier on the thread, but I wanted to mention this as a possibility since we had a similar experience.

FYI - for this particular horse it was a bit issue. I tried a Micklem, Dr. Cook bitless, etc. A plain cavesson (no flash) with the right bit finally worked. Hope you figure out the right solution faster than I did :slight_smile:

My experience with an OTTB was that the right bit (for him a Myler comfort snaffle) solved 80% of the problem and the other 20% required improving my hands. He likes as little movement of the bit as possible. This included have the bit a hair on the tight side (more wrinkles) in his mouth.

What findeight said - my pony was primarily a Western/4-H games mount before I got her and went in a Tom Thumb most of the time. Tried her in my old guy’s French-link and she was VERY unhappy - gaping, fussing. Switched to a thinner, single jointed d-ring and all the drama ended. She made it very clear that she didn’t like anything “extra” in her mouth.

It sounds basic but have you had his teeth and mouth checked? He could have a sharp tooth that’s bugging him.

2 Likes

If I were you, I’d try him in baucher mullen if you want a snaffle. They are very stable in the mouth compared to any O ring bit.

I think this points the way. I’ve had two horses that were fussy mouthed. One because he had a shallow palate, the other because he just wanted a “quieter” bit than the loose ring I was using. From my horses’ personal viewpoint, they hated Mylars (which is not to say it wouldn’t work for others), but for “quiet” you might try an egg butt, a full-cheek with keepers, or a Baucher, all of which are available with a French-mouth.

What type of Pelham did he come with and did he like it? If it was a mullen Pelham and he liked it, try a mullen Happy Mouth snaffle with D-ring sides, or even a mullen baucher, as those will be much more stable and quiet than a French link. You might need to change later on for more subtle communication, but for right now he needs to get confident and comfortable with contact, and many fussy horses like a mullen mouth for that stage.

Then he needs to learn to carry a contact and work back-to-front. Good dressage trainer can help a lot.

In terms of bridle itself, I have one mare who much prefers the Micklem (regular bridle actually does seem to tickle the nerves on her face, and she likes things super stable and unflappy), but my other two horses don’t seem to care either way. If the issue with your guy seems to be a problem with any instability in the bit, then find the most stable bit you can and try a drop noseband, figure 8, or Micklem, any of which will help hold the bit in place (I’m not an advocate of tying their mouths shut, but these arrangements can help with stability and helping them learn to hold the bit quietly).

Definitely I would second the suggestion that his teeth be looked at, even if he was floated recently. Sometimes a molar can crack or a new problem can develop that will cause discomfort.

But I’d also second the suggestion to try a baucher bit. I’d personally go for a double-jointed baucher. They are more stable in a horse’s mouth and many horses really prefer that.

Finally, I’ll add that with my previous horse, who was very mouthy, the best combo for her was a baucher with a Micklem bridle (straps done loosely). And without wanting to hijack the thread, the Micklem is not the same as a drop noseband–the part that goes over the top of the nose is higher than a drop, for the specific reason that it then does not press down on the extremely sensitive lower nose.

See this thread:
https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/forum/discussion-forums/eventing/10314578-article-on-nosebands-and-their-position-on-the-horse

“William Ireland”'s post from midway through the thread is from the inventor of the bridle, William Micklem.

1 Like

You might want to re-read the post you quoted. Endlessclimb said that he/she mentioned this on “another venue” (not COTH). :slight_smile: