Unlimited access >

New Hunter Eq Rider - Critiques and Advice? (Video)

Hello! I’m a brand new hunter rider (my background is mostly Western and Dressage), but I’m looking to join my college’s IHSA team in the fall so I’m trying to learn as much as I can. I had one lesson with the team trainer but I won’t be able to meet with her again for a while so I was hoping you guys could give me some pointers and things to work on.

Bear in mind that I am NEW to this style of riding and this is my first week even attempting two-point, so I’m sure there’s lots to critique but I’d appreciate it if you could keep it constructive.

Here’s the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEt5f9RbBfM
Thanks!

Cute pair!

One thing I noticed right off the bat is that you are sitting down on your horse’s back too soon after the cavaletti - this will get easier on its own once you’ve developed some core strength but I think the easiest way to fix this is to think of holding your two point a couple of strides after the jump. Once you’ve landed and cantered off come back to your full seat with your hip angle still closed instead of opening up your hip angle and sitting down hard. It’s sitting back vs. sitting down.

When you are posting the trot it looks like you are getting a little behind the motion and are posting up instead of forward. See if it helps when you keep your hip angle closed a bit more.

When I get behind the motion it’s usually because I’m gripping with the tops of my legs and my calves aren’t on. I would do as much work without stirrups as you can possibly stand until you can keep your calf on consistently. I’m just getting back into shape after an unintentional break from riding and am having the same issue.

ETA: The more I look at the vid, the more I see you riding from the tops of your legs. Diligent no stirrups work as well as holding two point while walking/trotting/cantering laps is pretty much the only way I’ve found to get that leg built up so you can have a stiller, stronger lower leg.

[QUOTE=french fry;7676602]
Cute pair!

When you are posting the trot it looks like you are getting a little behind the motion and are posting up instead of forward. See if it helps when you keep your hip angle closed a bit more.

When I get behind the motion it’s usually because I’m gripping with the tops of my legs and my calves aren’t on. I would do as much work without stirrups as you can possibly stand until you can keep your calf on consistently. I’m just getting back into shape after an unintentional break from riding and am having the same issue.

ETA: The more I look at the vid, the more I see you riding from the tops of your legs. Diligent no stirrups work as well as holding two point while walking/trotting/cantering laps is pretty much the only way I’ve found to get that leg built up so you can have a stiller, stronger lower leg.[/QUOTE]

That’s funny about the posting because my hunter trainer said I swing my hips forward too much (dressage habit, allegedly) and need to focus on only going up. Haha

I definitely need to stabilize my lower leg… but whenever I try to post or do two point without irons I just slide right down the saddle and can’t get any air. Maybe I’ll have to work up to that.

Thanks for the tips!!

A good friend of mine has started taking jumping lessons in addition to her rigorous dressage work and we were both very surprised at how much her lower leg has been swinging in the shorter stirrups on her close contact saddle. She has a very nice leg when she rides dressage but it is just a totally different way of using your leg so there will be a transition period! No stirrups has helped her a lot.

Is there any way you can lesson with a local trainer until you head off to college … if you can manage it, ride with trainer M-F rather than a lesson here & there.

Look at some of the off-horse rider exercises to build strength - if no one chimes in on this thread, do some searches as it does get discussed now & again.

ETA nice video editing :slight_smile:

Another ETA is this your new horse? congratulations :yes:

I think you look pretty good for only having had one lesson!

I would just practice trotting around in your two point lots and lots and over trotting poles as you are doing. Try to think about lifting your toe instead of forcing your heel down and keeping a soft knee and ankle to absorb the shock.

Over the small cavaletti, get into your two point a stride or two out and stay down two strides after (try counting 123 before sitting up on landing). Also, over the cavaletti, try planting your knuckles in the meaty section of your horses neck. This will stop you from hitting him in the mouth accidentally and will help to stabilize your upper body.

Keep us updated with new video as you improve :).

Good job! This discipline is not easy to get into after dressage and western. But you’re doing an excellent job so far. I would say that I feel your posting is more UP and down. If you can think a little more of up-yet-forward instead of standing straight up, that might help.

As far as staying with the motion, I noticed that before you get to your jump you are pretty upright (again, practicing the two-point and proper posting will help!) so when you get to the jump you are making a bigger motion than is necessary. Again, you are new so this is expected! Don’t get frustrated. Just get into a two-point a little earlier for now and just don’t move once you’re there. Let that jump come to you and just think of staying still.

Also, really work on keeping your heels down, which is going to help you with your two-point, posting, balance, etc. Use those shock absorbers. :slight_smile:

Have fun!!!

[QUOTE=alto;7676879]

Another ETA is this your new horse? congratulations :yes:[/QUOTE]

No, he belongs to a boarder at my barn who can’t ride him anymore. So I’ve been riding him for her. :slight_smile:

Your posting looks very up and down and not with the motion. you are not over your leg at all, but rather going up and then plopping back down onto your butt, kind of like you are standing up from a chair and then plopping back down quickly with no thought to slowing the sit down. you are also double bouncing in the down portion of the post, which again, leads me to believe there is a lack of muscle controlling the posting motion.

Rather than plopping down like you are sitting, think of sitting, but then going up right away again. Try this at home: pull out a dining room chair and sit on the edge of the seat with your feet on the outside edge of each chair leg. It should make it like your perching on the chair a bit…and be uncomfortable for long term sitting. Now start to stand up, but stop after going up only a few inches and then sit back down, but think about barely touching the seat before standing back up again. It will help you engage the right muscles so you can feel what posting should be like.

The way you’re posting right now is common among beginners, but it surprises me that you still do it with a dressage background. Once you feel the rhythm and have the control, it should clean up pretty quickly.

Congratulations on being confident and asking for inputs!

I see your arms being too stiff - your hands are posting with you. Work on just relaxing those, so that your hands stay in a steady location and don’t rise with you. There are a lot of ways to do this, but the #1 advice is to be mindful of separating your forearms from your upper body - don’t move them together.

Your lower leg position is weak, and will improve with strength training: practice two point on the horse. There was a good tip from another rider on practicing two point on your bike ! Yup, just get up in the pedals and put your heels down. Shorten your stirrups a little and see what happens (this is part of a good workout as well… harder on the thigh muscle).

I would like to see a softer hand in an eq class. You are right on the edge of balancing on the horse’s mouth, even on the flat, so think how to approach a softer contact.

Good luck!

Adorable horse :slight_smile: He looks great to learn on!

I’m not a trainer but here’s my two cents anyways :wink: I would focus on closing your lower leg in the two-point position- it will help you stay up if you can figure out how to get some weight in your calves as well as your heels and it will stop your horse from breaking to a slower gait while in two-point. I worked on that forever, and finally my trainer walked up and stuck her arm between my lower leg and the horse’s side. I worked on knees out/ calves in almost exclusively from then on :lol:. Knees are a riders worst enemy- don’t hang on with them, they’ll dump you in the dirt on your butt all day long! :winkgrin:

After just one lesson, you look very solid. However, I would love to see your stirrups 1-2 holes shorter that way it is easier to get up in your two point and stay in it. Your horse seems very willing and steady, which is what you need right now! Remember to keep your reins short enough so that they’re in front of your saddle. You should be able to see your hands without looking down. IHSA is all about being able to ride all different types of horses. I’m assuming you’re either going to be in walk/trot or beginning walk/trot/canter due to your lack of experience in English (which is fine! IHSA teams are always looking for walk/trotters and w/t/c riders!)

Good luck and have fun!

Didn’t watch the whole thing, but i noticed that you seem to pump with your seat at the walk. Also, your hands tend to post with you. You need to relax and bend your elbows and sink down into your heels. Also, open your chest and lift your chin. You should be able to do really well in IHSA! Good luck!