Unlimited access >

New offering - College search for equestrians

Hi all!

I have a small business currently just offering assistance with the college search process to families with juniors in high school. I’d like to expand to offer a more specific package to students wanting to ride in college (could be ihsa, club, ncea, etc). Wanted to get opinions before starting to really flesh this out. I’m not sure where to begin advertising for this either, so any ideas on that front are very welcome!

The deliverables for my current service are a list of colleges that end up as a match (academically, culturally) for the student, pros and cons to each, and constant communication throughout the process and as the student applies. I spend ~3 1-hour sessions with each student. I’d expect to add at least an extra session to talk about their specific goals for riding in college and what they’ve done in the past.

Would this have helped you in your college search process?
If you have kids, would this be of value for you?
What would you value this at/what would you be willing to pay?

Interesting.

I’m in Canada, we don’t use college search services, so I’m no help on the pricing model.

I will say that I don’t think it’s that hard to look up the member schools for IHSA or NCEA. If a junior was on track for one of the fairly rare NCEA scholarships, they would already be a top junior competitor and likely already understand the landscape.

I love my horses, but I also don’t think teens should be encouraged to choose their schools based on access to.horses unless there’s a scholarship involved. It might be a tie breaker between two appropriate schools, but it isn’t a reason to go to the wrong school.

Because your life as an adult amateur is absolutely dependent on your career income :slight_smile: and if you don’t get a good job from your college education you won’t be able to have horses!

3 Likes

Agree on most but I think it’s definitely a family decision. In my case my parents did not support riding financially past the age of 18, so I didn’t have an option to ride in college unless it was through IHSA. That is important to some juniors that know they don’t have NCEA goals etc, and I think would still be considered as other criteria like college size or location would be. Totally understood that it is google-able information as to who has a team, but the service is more so “matchmaking” for lack of a better term, student to college. I think similar things could be said for any other sport that may not have big ticket scholarship opportunities like golf or swimming, but still might be important to a kiddo to have access to.

As to the income, totally agree and see where you’re coming from and that’s dependent on major. I might not have been clear but this wouldn’t be necessarily for students who justwant to ride in college, but looking at a more holistic view on how that can come into play while they’re at school.

It makes sense as part of your overall college matching service. I’m not sure it’s a standalone consultation product