Unlimited access >

new pony...guess the breed!

I got a new pony for my son to do leadline on. His previous owners said that he was welsh/paint. Obviously the paint part is true but what do you guys think? He was a THICK mane and tail like Shetland I had. He’s 12.2 and adorable. He def knows his job as a leadliner. I don’t know how to put pictures on here but if you visit my blog awishandawhinny.wordpress.com he’s on there on the first post that should come up as well as if you scroll down. I will be happy to post some if someone tells me how!

I don’t see welsh at all but the pictures aren’t the best to tell from. To me he looks like a paint pony. I think a lot of people like to label ponies as part welsh lol. I don’t know if it’s because they think they can get more money for them that way or it’s the only pony breed they know.

I’ll second Rabicon on this. He really looks like a run of the mill paint pony. Nothing wrong with it and on occasion not having to contend with a pony brain is a blessing!

He’s super cute, but yeah he’s probably not Welsh. Just an adorable pinto pony - which, based on personal experience, is the best kind of pony out there :slight_smile: I had one as a kid and my trainer liked to tell people that he was a Chincoteague…not likely, but I think it somehow fulfilled a childhood dream of his to have a pony like Misty in his barn. I used to tell people that his breed was “Short and Spotted.”

Yours is considered a pinto pony.
To be a “paint” you have to be a horse. Frequently these terms are confused.

The terms “paint” and “pinto” are sometimes both used to describe spotted horses, but in modern use there is a clear difference between the two terms. A pinto differs from a Paint solely due to bloodlines. A pinto may be of any breed or combination of breeds, though some Pinto registries may have additional restrictions. (Some do not register draft horses or mules, for example.) For a horse to be registered as an American Paint Horse however, it must have registered American Quarter Horse, American Paint Horse, or Thoroughbred parents. Therefore, all Paint horses (except for the small number of “solids” allowed into the Paint registry) could be registered as pintos, but not all pintos qualify to be registered as Paints.

[QUOTE=VirginiaBred;7078866]
Yours is considered a pinto pony.
To be a “paint” you have to be a horse. Frequently these terms are confused.

The terms “paint” and “pinto” are sometimes both used to describe spotted horses, but in modern use there is a clear difference between the two terms. A pinto differs from a Paint solely due to bloodlines. A pinto may be of any breed or combination of breeds, though some Pinto registries may have additional restrictions. (Some do not register draft horses or mules, for example.) For a horse to be registered as an American Paint Horse however, it must have registered American Quarter Horse, American Paint Horse, or Thoroughbred parents. Therefore, all Paint horses (except for the small number of “solids” allowed into the Paint registry) could be registered as pintos, but not all pintos qualify to be registered as Paints.[/QUOTE]

In my world, to be a “paint” the horse must be APHA. And I am aware of no height requirement for APHA. My pony has APHA papers and he’s quarterhorse breeding through and through but happens to be 14.2 so he is a pony.

Actually, to be a PAINT, a horse -must- have one PAINT parent.

The other may be PAINT, QH or TB.

And, it must be registered with APHA.

There are no height restrictions although it would be fairly unlikely to get a PAINT that is a medium or small pony, based on the breed requirements. Not impossible, I suppose, just not likely.

I didn’t think he looked welsh either! He is a saint and I don’t care what breed he is he doesn’t look as fancy as he moves! He really surprised me!

In my original post —> For a horse to be registered as an American Paint Horse however, it must have registered American Quarter Horse, American Paint Horse, or Thoroughbred parents.

[QUOTE=VirginiaBred;7078866]

To be a “paint” you have to be a horse. [/QUOTE]

This is the part of your original post that I don’t believe is correct. APHA doesn’t have a height limit.

Lol sorry I said paint in my op but it really is pinto. And I know no height restrictions for a paint as long as they ate registered apha.

Well, rabicon, you said ‘guess the breed’ and then ‘he’s obviously paint.’ I don’t think so; pinto coloring is found in many breeds, both pony and horse sizes. Shetlands, for example, are often pinto.

Well nightsong, it was a misuse of words and I know better yet in a hurry I put paint pony. Pintos do come in all breeds, but just seeing color paint jumped in my head. Paints are a breed themselves. I believe most knowledgeable horse people know this and pinto is color. It was an honest mess up with not thinking through and rushing.

Oh, he’s a cutie!! My DD’s first pony (whom we still have) is a 12.2 pinto mutt pony. No Welsh in this one! The first time we had his Coggins done the vet looked at him and wrote “Chincoteague” and I had to laugh. We bought him strictly as a lead line pony but he surprised us all and kept doing every new thing we asked of him. She rode him from age 4 to age 10 ending up doing the SS Eq on him (a hunter pony he was not!). He became part of our family and we couldn’t stand to let him go so now he is teaching other little kids at our barn how to ride. Everyone needs a pinto pony in their life!

[QUOTE=skyy;7080746]
Oh, he’s a cutie!! My DD’s first pony (whom we still have) is a 12.2 pinto mutt pony. No Welsh in this one! The first time we had his Coggins done the vet looked at him and wrote “Chincoteague” and I had to laugh. We bought him strictly as a lead line pony but he surprised us all and kept doing every new thing we asked of him. She rode him from age 4 to age 10 ending up doing the SS Eq on him (a hunter pony he was not!). He became part of our family and we couldn’t stand to let him go so now he is teaching other little kids at our barn how to ride. Everyone needs a pinto pony in their life![/QUOTE]

That’s what bobo has done all his life! I would love to see pictures of your little man! I am a sucker for a good pony!

Not correct unfortunately. We had an APHA registered pony hunter gelding in the barn years ago that measured 14.1 HH. There are lots of APHA registered horses that are pony size. :wink:

But obviously, the pony in question is a pinto pony (described by color) and not a paint pony (described by breed).

I also had a solid-colored 13.2 appendix registered paint as a child. Her mom was a registered paint and her dad was a registered quarter horse. I have no idea why she didn’t grow taller. But I do remember my uncle mocking me that I’d never get that “runt” registered. I got her registered. As a PAINT.