Unlimited access >

New Purina Product - Omega Match Ration Balancer

Saw this on Facebook and reading some comments its 12.5% (max) NSC and timothy hay based ration balancer with higher Vitamin E and no soy or corn. No added iron either.

Has anyone used it? I know most are Triple Crown users but my pony isn’t the biggest fan of that brand.

have not seen it but as always check Purina for coupons… there is an introductory offer.

They OFTEN have printable coupons for their products

https://www.purinamills.com/horse-feed/campaign/omega-match-coupon

I started my guys on it as soon as my feed store was able to bring it in. So far so good, but it hasn’t been long enough to really know (like 2 weeks so far)

1 Like

How’s the Omega going?

We are on week 3 and so far I’m liking the results. My guys were already on the Enrich Plus so I don’t expect huge changes. We’ll see if we’re still liking the results after 3 months.

2 Likes

I posted in the other thread. Used it for two months had to change to a vitamin/mineral with beet pulp. Fatties were getting to fluffy on grass and ration balancer.

Did notice reduced sheath puffiness and softer neck in my pony. I’ll probably never have him on soy again with the difference.

1 Like

So at first I was happy to see no added iron, but if you look at the ingredients it’s in there, just not included in the nutrient values. What’s up with that!?

Here’s my comparison between Triple Crown 30% Balancer, Balancer Gold, and Purina Omega Match if anyone is interested:

How does the cost compare to Balancer Gold, TC’s soy free ration balancer? Doesn’t look like Tractor Supply carries the Omega Match unfortunately, or at least it’s not on their website.

The Omega Match feeding rate is a bit higher than for the Triple Crown balancers (0.2-0.4 lbs per 100 lbs body weight for Omega Match vs. 1 to 1.5 lb. per 1,000 lb. of body weight for TC). Interesting that if you have a 1,500-lb horse, 6 lbs per day is within the recommended range for the Purina, which is way more than I would expect with a ration balancer! Except then you also have to notice the caveat prohibiting added selenium in excess of 0.3 ppm, which you would reach in 5.5 lbs. Hmm.

2 Likes

That is not my interpretation of their guidelines. Here’s the feedchart:

And here’s part of the legend addressing feeding by body weight:

For horses that do not approximate this expected mature weight, feeding rates for mature horses at maintenance can be estimated based on 0.2-0.4 lbs Purina® Omega Match™ Ration Balancer and 0.2 lbs hay or pasture per 100 lbs body weight per day.”

I interpret that to mean for horses that do not weight 1000 lbs (which is what their recommended feeding rate is based on), use this formula. I.e., you would use that formula for ponies and small horses, not for a horse 1,000 lbs or more. So there’s no situation in which you would be feeding 6 lbs. :slight_smile:

What is interesting with this feed is how much lower protein it is than even Purina’s regular ration balancer (Purina Enrich protein is 32%).

Okay, I see how you could interpret it that way! I think they should have been more precise if that’s what they meant though, since a 1,500 lb horse doesn’t “approximate” 1,000 lbs any more than a 700 lb pony.

I think the lower protein is common when the formula doesn’t include soy. If you compare 30% Balancer and TC Balancer Gold (soy free), you see the same thing.

1 Like

I totally agree - they really should provide a larger range. Just add a few extra lines for a 500 lb pony or 1500 beefcake. Why do I need a degree in math to feed my horse? :laughing:

And good point about the soy. I guess I just assume the 30% range is what’s generally appropriate… would the lower protein in the Omega Match be enough? Hopefully someone smarter than me would know…

I have also noticed other ration balancers that didn’t add iron in the nutritional guideline but you see it in the ingredients. I think it is purposefully being done to confused people to thinking it’s low iron.

4 Likes

@Libby2563 thanks for the chart. I traditionally fed TC Products and have used both the 30% balancer and the new Balancer Gold. I have been wondering about the Omega Match balancer, as I think it may be useful to feed this as somewhat of an anti-inflammatory feed.

Of the TC products, I prefer the Balancer Gold. I just think my horses look better when they are on it, and I also think they like the taste better. I do worry about the decreased amounts of vitamins and minerals in the OM product. Not sure what to think of that.

I will be interested to see the results that our members get after feeding this for a while.

2 Likes