New Stallion. . .How do I handle this?

As a trainer, I have ridden many stallions, that being said, I have never had a stallion live at our facility. This stallion who is being imported by a client for me to ride and to breed, is a son of Balou De Rouet and has impeccable manners, he currently goes out individually, but is able to touch noses with the geldings in the paddock next to his. I have only seen him once, but he was fantastic when I rode him with all types of horses in the ring. Obviously, he will be stabled away from mares, and will have his own turnout, but I am more curious about the breeding. I don’t expect him to be incredibly busy with collections the first few years, as he is young and only doing a few shows, but once he (hopefully) gets reasonably popular, I’m not sure what to expect.
I would appreciate any and all advice!!!

I rode and bred my stallion… But he was a Connemara and rather sane :wink: Had no issues at all, but we also were not upper level.

You’ll just have to see how it goes. Our stallions are stabled with mares and not isolated from them. We’ve taught them there is a time for breeding and only that time. They have to show and warm up with mares in the arena.

But…that being said, it can be a strain on them during breeding season. If you can show more off breeding season that is best. Some have to limit bookings or resort to frozen.

Lots of massages and chiro is good too. They can twist themselves good on the phantom.

And some of them end up being gelded.

Lets hope you have no problems and best of luck!

Second what Majestic said - make it very clear which job they are doing. I owned two stallions - both were absolute sweethearts.

I used different halters for breeding versus everything else - the nylon halter with stud chain set up very specifically was the breeding halter. Leather for all other work. I also hauled to a collection facility (lucky for me, it was just 2 miles up the road). People I’ve known who collected at home had a very specific route they used to get to the phantom - for example, if I turn right out of the barn, we are going to the phantom. If I turn left, it is all other activities.

Stallions like routine - they like to understand the rules. Consistency and fairness is very important to them. And they do not like to be isolated - most stallions do better if they can see (and have proximity to) other horses.

You won’t actually know until he’s breeding if he can handle that pressure. Some just can’t take the hormone overload - only time will tell. But he sounds like he’s got a good start and is well socialized.

There are many schools of thought on how to treat a stallion in your barn. In my experience they are always best when treated like the rest. Expect turn out of course… keep them away from mares so you can minimize risks of jumping out and silly behavior.

Otherwise, use your logic. Best to not stable him right next to a mare, treat them with firmness and sensitivity, allow them to be boys when appropriate, and get to know their language.

Deeply segregating a competing stallion may lead to more problems than you expect. Don’t be afraid to have them out and about with all the other horses. Teach him that there is a time to “play” and a time for work.

Make sure when they are handled in the breeding shed that they are handled by someone who has experience. They can change in an instant from bad handling and will make everyone’s experience uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous. Respect them and they will respect you. Again, in many cases it’s a matter of common sense and no matter how “nice” they are never turn your back on them. They’re sneaky. Good luck and enjoy him. They are wonderful creatures!