Unlimited access >

New tack shop - would love your opinions

Hey all!

I’m a pony-loving entrepreneur. I’ve run a few successful jewelry brands from the ground up for a number of years and we’re looking to expand into different areas, ie things that I want to talk about all day. enter: ponies.

I know most of you will say to light my money on fire before opening a tack shop, but I’m going to steadfastly ignore you :slight_smile: It’s already happening so don’t try to deter me!

Along the way I’ve taught myself coding, marketing and graphic design, so we’re developing an ecommerce shop. I know I can’t be SmartPak or Dover. I don’t intend to try! There are a few niche things (like fun colored Eskadron polo wraps, enough of the black and white) that I can never find in the US, even on the big sites or in the Wellington tack shops. I’m happy to have developed some relationships with the vendors to be able to offer those items that I have been personally searching for in one location.

I’m big on exemplary customer service, fast and cheap shipping and quality products so I’m hopeful that we’ll find a bit of a groove in the marketplace.

Why I’m here bugging you is twofold!

1) Naming is way way way harder than I thought.
What better place to enlist some horsey friends to help? It’s fun to doodle away names so maybe some of you will play hooky with me to help? I am a previous eventer and currently focusing on dressage so I’ll be offering mostly dressage gear.I’m fairly disappointed with my lack of creativity, blame it on the day job! Currently in the running:

• Atlantic Equestrian
  • One Tempi Saddlery
  • Centerline Style
  • Never Enough Tack Co
  • Topline Saddlery
Anyone have something cute you want to see in logos? :)

2) Is there anything that you look for in an equestrian retailer?

• Like me is there anything you can't seem to find?
  • Something that totally turns you off from shopping on a site?
  • Any categories in particular that you loooove to shop (breeches, saddle pads, bits)?
  • Would you be interested in a bit trial program?
  • Any other comments or needs?

Any and all (except “Don’t do it!” :lol: ) feedback would be so appreciated! Thanks so much! Looking forward to serving you soon!

Living in Canada, with the exchange rate so poor and the problem/cost of shipping across borders, I don’t use American e-commerce sites at all.

I would only buy an item of clothing on-line if I knew already it would fit, and it was at a marked discount below what it was selling for locally in bricks and mortar.

The name of the store doesn’t matter to me or attract me, but if it contains the word “tack,” it is more likely to turn up in a Google search for tack stores.

I bail out of e-commerce websites when they prove impossible to navigate. I am currently using a laptop computer that has touch-screen capability, as well as a mouse. Many drop-down menus are too small and finicky for touch-screen, and I have to keep repeatedly going back and forth until I get the right page. Also, some sites “hang” or freeze, and in some you can’t navigate back and forth between categories without repeatedly going back to the home page.

But also, several years into my return to horses, I pretty much have all the gear I need. Most of my big-ticket items were good-condition second hand, bought locally from CL or FB. My last substantial purchase was a helmet (last month, on-line; I knew my size in this brand, and the model was not in stock locally), and before that, a couple of pairs of good quality breeches (half price, local shops, last summer). I get all my polo tops, hoodies, jackets, etc., from general sporting goods brands, on sale; they tend to be better designed and cheaper than equestrian brands.

So maybe I am not your ideal customer in any way, shape or form! :slight_smile:

Topline is a name that already belongs to another equestrian business, and so is Top Rail, so I would avoid that name to avoid confusion with already established businesses.

Never enough tack sounds kind of chitzy to me. I guess I would patronize it if it had something I wanted, but it sure doesn’t say “high end European saddlery” to me.

Having a site that is navigable on both laptop/desktop computers and smaller devices (iOS/iPad/iPhone/smartphones) is big, since many people rarely use laptops now for things like this. (It also makes it easier to succumb to impulse shopping!) Along the same lines, having a presence on social media seems to be the norm now.

Maybe find a way to customize your service or stock, so you can stand above the big box stores.

Can you do special orders for a [insert brand here] custom dressage bridle? Or coat, or shad, etc.?
What vendors do you plan to work with?
Will you take consignments, or stock saddles?
Will your pricing be competitive?
Will you offer shipping, if you have to order stock in and don’t have what someone asks for on hand?

Bit trial is great, will you have the stock and ability to offer it? How wil you deal,with bits that are returned after trial?

Limit the “froofy” stuff like stuffed animals/toys/little pony/juvenile jewelry, etc.

OTOH, it is nice to have a range of horsey cards, gift wrap, and the like, which can be hard to find.

Jewelry can be a tough thing, since tastes vary so much. What about horsey accessories, like handbags, scarves, the things that we typically don’t wear to the barn?

Custom Browbands? Ability to customize a saddle pad with embroidery? Custom bridles/parts?

Names: just let things ruminate for a while, without actively thinking about it. Something is bound to work its way into your mind, at any time. It it critical to the identity you project, so if you like one, see how you like it after a week or more. Do you have any associations that come forward in that time (+/- thoughts about the name)? I will not offer a name or suggestions. Last time I did that, I lost out on using it myself!

[QUOTE=soloudinhere;8609454]
Topline is a name that already belongs to another equestrian business, and so is Top Rail, so I would avoid that name to avoid confusion with already established businesses.

Never enough tack sounds kind of chitzy to me. I guess I would patronize it if it had something I wanted, but it sure doesn’t say “high end European saddlery” to me.[/QUOTE]

As an attorney who practices in trademarks, I would suggest strongly that you hire an attorney to do some name clearance for you. And, since you are focusing on e-commerce**, I also suggest filing a trademark application.

I see problems all the time with small business owners who have invested a lot of time and money into a name only to get a nasty letter from some other company’s lawyers. Sometimes, those things can be worked out. Other times, one company needs to change its name. Better to screen from the start rather than have to start all over later!

**sometimes, single brick and mortar stores can fly under the radar/avoid those kinds of conflicts; risks are higher when your business is online and you are potentially selling all over the U.S. and/or to other countries.

If you really meant you wanted to specialize in pony stuff it would be wise to have the name reflect that. But yeah, lighting money on fire would be a better plan.

I wouldn’t have the name imply dressage only. You may branch out later.

The things I have not been able to find are:
XXL reins (72 inches) for working large young horse long and low. Something with stops and rubberized. Never found it. Tried to special order it. Gave up when the special order came in the wrong width.
Long (4 foot) extra extra stiff whip for ground work. I was finally able to find this at a specialty online tack store. Took ages to find. cost $$
Lunge cavesson with bicycle chain in nose piece like the SRS uses. Had to special order it from a guy who makes them. The nose piece is great, but the rest of the headstalll is meh. It needs another strap to make it stable.
It’s hard to find really good lunge lines of soft cotton with good feel, but not too heavy and without donuts on the end.
I’m looking at this list and it looks like anything to do with ground work is a problem :-), or was for me. Basically finding the tools that the book “Horse Training in Hand” recommended was hard.

[QUOTE=IPEsq;8609541]
As an attorney who practices in trademarks, I would suggest strongly that you hire an attorney to do some name clearance for you. And, since you are focusing on e-commerce**, I also suggest filing a trademark application.

I see problems all the time with small business owners who have invested a lot of time and money into a name only to get a nasty letter from some other company’s lawyers. Sometimes, those things can be worked out. Other times, one company needs to change its name. Better to screen from the start rather than have to start all over later!

**sometimes, single brick and mortar stores can fly under the radar/avoid those kinds of conflicts; risks are higher when your business is online and you are potentially selling all over the U.S. and/or to other countries.[/QUOTE]

This x 1000

I design identities and generate brand names for a living. It takes a lot of time and research to get this right. I can’t tell you how often a client has come to us with a name and logo, asking us to roll out the brand. We always start with a competitive review –– usually to find some sort of conflict, and that’s before we even get legal involved.

Your goal is commendable: make sure you do it right!

[QUOTE=The Blonde & The Bay;8609271]
Hey all!

I’m a pony-loving entrepreneur. I’ve run a few successful jewelry brands from the ground up for a number of years and we’re looking to expand into different areas, ie things that I want to talk about all day. enter: ponies.

I know most of you will say to light my money on fire before opening a tack shop, but I’m going to steadfastly ignore you :slight_smile: It’s already happening so don’t try to deter me!

Along the way I’ve taught myself coding, marketing and graphic design, so we’re developing an ecommerce shop. I know I can’t be SmartPak or Dover. I don’t intend to try! There are a few niche things (like fun colored Eskadron polo wraps, enough of the black and white) that I can never find in the US, even on the big sites or in the Wellington tack shops. I’m happy to have developed some relationships with the vendors to be able to offer those items that I have been personally searching for in one location.

I’m big on exemplary customer service, fast and cheap shipping and quality products so I’m hopeful that we’ll find a bit of a groove in the marketplace.

What better place to enlist some horsey friends to help? It’s fun to doodle away names so maybe some of you will play hooky with me to help? I am a previous eventer and currently focusing on dressage so I’ll be offering mostly dressage gear.I’m fairly disappointed with my lack of creativity, blame it on the day job! Currently in the running:

• Atlantic Equestrian
  • One Tempi Saddlery
  • Centerline Style
  • Never Enough Tack Co
  • Topline Saddlery

• Any categories in particular that you loooove to shop (breeches, saddle pads, bits)?

Any and all (except “Don’t do it!” :lol: ) feedback would be so appreciated! Thanks so much! Looking forward to serving you soon![/QUOTE]

Honestly, as a big online shopper and small business supporter, none of those names stand out. As a HJ rider, I would not click on your site if it had a very dressage name. I just wouldn’t think you carried HJ things. I would do something a little more all consuming. You can specialize in Dressage, but I think you should carry at least some HJ things (ie. all purpose saddle pads, knee patch breeches, and some stuff in conservative, un-fun colors).

I’m terrible with names, so I can’t help you there. As for shopping:

I like to be able to talk with the owner about the quality of their stuff. I don’t like being lied to. I recently bought a bridle (mind you in is a nice bridle) from a tack shop, and I asked a ton of questions about the quality and type of leather. They made it seem like they make the stuff and hand picked it from the vendors. However, when the bridle shipped, I found out I paid $50 more for a Royal Sports bridle from a second hand vendor. It kind of pissed me off. She could have said 'its the higher end RS bridle, and the leather is _____". It would not have bothered me near as much as someone embellishing the truth on what they carry. I like the RS tack, but I don’t like being surprised that I am getting RS tack for a higher price!

What I often look to buy:

Breeches (mostly knee patch). I’m a weird-o that likes lesser known brands. I also enjoy a decent pair of breeches for under $100.

Shirts - cute show shirts and a nice technical fabric shirts to hack in.

Boot Socks - Peddies. Also some that are cute and fun, color and graphic wise.

Horse Leg Protection - I hate polo wrapping, so I am always on the look out for flex wraps or something like that to hack in.

Gloves - I can never seem to find a riding glove I like, I want something sticky but breathable. I would also like to NOT pay $100 for a pair of gloves…

Bags - Helmet Bags. Boot Bags. Ring Side Bags. Something cute or customization. Nothing with too many graphics and weird things on them. Also decently priced… I’m not going to pay $100 for a boot bag…

Saddle Pads - I’m always on the look out for a good saddle pad. I would love a saddle pad that has the wither relief, however I don’t want it to dip backwards (I’m looking at you Ogilvy). I like my saddle pads with wither relief and more of a forward pad. I also like it when my 17.5" saddle doesn’t hang slightly off the back. Some of those saddle pads with the half pad or fleece built in are quite nice, as well. They tend to be a bit harder to find, and I had one that I loved. I just can never find another like it. This is “similar” http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/SP/PRIFAPP.htm

Stirrups - I’m always on the lookout for new, exciting stirrups that might work for my bad ankles and knees.

There is an Atlanta Saddlery, my first thought was them when I read Atlantic Equestrian. Names are difficult, you want something unique, that stands apart from all other tack shops. Secondly, you need to offer what the others don’t or better pricing etc. something about your tack shop needs to draw the shopper there rather than all the other places available. Offer lines of products people can’t normally get, German made brushes, boot models you don’t normally see carried here, example I’m looking at a pair of Petrie Oxer boots that no one (online) in the US carries. Perhaps offer sizes not normally kept in stock like XW saddles, when I needed one few had them in stock. Agree with making the site easy to navigate. Have a phone number and a person to talk to, a real physical address and not just an email.

I suggest something with “Euro” in the name…

Stacie quarter horse people use the extra long reins to get that nose on the ground look. Check their tack supply places.

There already are just for ponies and allens pony express tack providers, would the market support more?

I kinda like Never Enough Tack Co. because it is TRUE AS HECK. As far as niche tack, things like the really cool colored stirrups (not just black, silver, and MAYBE navy)…JIN I believe is the brand I’m thinking of…I can never find in the US. The fun eskedrons would be cool. The bell boots on Calevo with a row of crystals keep popping into my mind. Ummm really nice leather halters that are unique (braided leather, color padding, etc) really pretty, high quality brushes and grooming supplies. I’m still trying to find a place that makes it easy to customize a Samshield exactly as I would want. The options Dover and Smartpak give you are fairly limited. Umm fun little things like bumper stickers, bridle tags, helmet monograms. That’s all that’s coming to mind at the moment.

The biggest turnoff for a website for me is if it’s poorly organized. Make it easy for me to find your stuff and make it easy for me to check out. Keep it updated and make sure the pictures are good and the descriptions are helpful.

I’m a bit slut. There I said it. Also I firmly believe one can not have too many bell boots, nifty grooming aids, or saddle pads.

In regards to the bit trial, see above comment. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=The Blonde & The Bay;8609271]
Hey all!

• Atlantic Equestrian
  • One Tempi Saddlery
  • Centerline Style
  • Never Enough Tack Co
  • Topline Saddlery

Any and all (except “Don’t do it!” :lol: ) feedback would be so appreciated! Thanks so much! Looking forward to serving you soon![/QUOTE]

I don’t know how many shoppers are like me, but I’ll tell you what turns me off.

The words, “cute,” “trendy,” “fashionista,” “lifestyle,” etc. I have no interest in shopping for an in “look” or because I want everything to match. Names and logos aren’t what I look at when shopping.

I am an older rider, female, with interest in quality, classic looks, good fit, good price, and good service.

I have a terrible time finding breeches, for example. No one is selling what I will wear. I have to scour ebay for closeouts on my favorites or buy used. No one is selling for me. Everyone is marketing to long, lean teens. I want classic breeches in a nice fabric with regular rise that fit a curvy figure and come in short length. Bonus points for European knee seams and no Euro seat. Would love it even more if these came in rust. More bonus points if these were available for under $100.

Boots are another issue. I don’t like what’s “in.” Zippers are a good invention, but I really dislike the ultra-soft boot with the ultra-tapered ankle everyone seems to be selling. I don’t want sparkles or crocodile trim on my boots or helmet. I want classic looks and good fit in a boot that will last. Are custom Dehners my only option?

Am I really a market of one? I don’t think so. I have started breech threads before, and there are others like me. I sense from your OP that you are interested in a younger, more hip target market. But I also sense that anyone who markets to older riders could really make it.

Love to shop for breeches and bits. :smiley:

If a website if difficult to navigate through and isn’t categorized appropriately by product or product category, I will leave pretty quickly. Checkout process should also be easy and self-explanatory.

A bit trial program would definitely be a plus. The one I know of currently is in the UK.

Also love the name Never Enough Tack. How true is that?!

I think targeting an audience is important for your business…as the COTH replies above have shown, there is a huge audience currently for your suggested business for “ponies”. Younger competitive riders, Mature AAs, Dressage, H/J, etc…are you planning on accommodating them all with regards to “pony stuff” (literally, for ‘ponies’), or do you need to niche it out a little more for a certain type of rider/buyer?

I agree that the word “tack” should be in there somewhere, and that no particular discipline should be outstanding.

Beyond that, I like sites that have lots of variety in functional things like bits, bridles and saddle pads, and I want specific measurements on this stuff. (I hate it, for example, when a CC pad is described as “Full Size”. What the hell does that mean? I need inches, Comrades.)

On the other hand, I really don’t like cutesy crap like scented horse-themed candles and horrible over-sized wall clocks decorated with touching scenes of mares n’ foals made of faux wrought iron. Turns me off in a nanosecond.

I like to see shipping rate calculators in plain view. I hate going halfway through checkout only to discover that shipping one lousy bit costs $784.

And no fake sales! That just drives people nuts.

I think Dewey makes a very good point. A selection of rider clothes that are suitable for the classic, grown-up woman would be very welcome! Providing meaningful sizing info and reviews is also helpful. p.s. we have money to spend, too

I love shopping at cosignment tack stores. I realize it’s not the best way to bring money in but it certainly brings me to a tack store.

Also have a good relationship with a person who works on saddles and other tack. I have sent a halter and a girth to a local tack store. Waited way too long to get it back and yet the job done was horrible and made me very upset both times. The store owner defended the crappy job and I hate going to that store now.

Excellent advice.

At the same time, search for names where you can buy the URL. No point int creating a name that you can’t create an online identity for.

I strongly suggest you use “tack” in the name as it will help with google searches. If you’re online, geographic indicators don’t matter.

If I’m looking online for tack it’s because I want something specific or because I’m browsing for saddle or bit options. I love buying used saddles, so if you had a good selection of used saddles, reasonable shipping and knowledgeable salespeople I’d bookmark your site. For example, Middleburgh Tack exchange is my “go to” site for saddles and I buy other things from them because they combine great selection, great pricing and helpful people.

I want to see great photos and descriptions, a site that is responsive, and easy to navigate. I could care less about logos.

Good luck! It’s a tough industry to make money in because inventory $$ are high. I have no problem buying used because it often means I can buy better quality.

My guess is that

[QUOTE=IPEsq;8609541]

**sometimes, single brick and mortar stores can fly under the radar/avoid those kinds of conflicts; risks are higher when your business is online and you are potentially selling all over the U.S. and/or to other countries.[/QUOTE]