Unlimited access >

NEW TACK TRUNK HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

i am looking to invest in a new tack trunk. i am changing barns in about a month and would like a tack trunk to match theirs and i have no idea on where to start for researching. if someone could comment a few brands that would be great!!!

A word of advice - give the new barn some time before you go investing money into someone else’s barn colors. Make sure you really love it there before you take the plunge and then ask your trainer or barn manager which company supplies the barn.

Ask around once you’re settled at the new barn. You don’t want to purchase a maroon & white trunk that isn’t the same shade of maroon as all of the others.

Oh, and a hint for forum etiquette? Don’t make your titles with ALL CAPITOL LETTERS AND TONS OF EXCLAMATION POINTS unless your horse is dying & you need immediate advice. A new tack trunk isn’t an emergency :lol:

You can always go with wood as works everywhere. I got mine from Phoenix West and love it.

[QUOTE=Hound Dog Diaries;8087964]
A word of advice - give the new barn some time before you go investing money into someone else’s barn colors. Make sure you really love it there before you take the plunge and then ask your trainer or barn manager which company supplies the barn.[/QUOTE]

Yep, this. If it’s important that it match, wait until you’re there and ask the trainer. But if you’re just excited or want to know about pricing, Phoenix West is a good place to window shop.

The barn might be able to point you in the direction of where they order trunks or even a former client who might be interested in selling one used.

Well I personally agree on WOOD. I got mine from Dover and it is so lovely. I do not believe in getting one to join in barn colors. Especially if I am new to the group and not knowing how long I will be there. Why waste the money on something like that . LOL Besides being an individual and having one like the quality of Dover is very nice .

Agree about going with a classic wood trunk. I got mine from Dover. I believe its made by Oakcroft or something similar? Its this one http://www.doversaddlery.com/dover's-hardwood-trunk-with-bandage-lid/p/X1-27941/#ProductTabs

I love it and its nice because it will fit in wherever I take it. :slight_smile:

YES me too Gnomeland !!!
I love mine and everyone who sees it just love it . Very good quality and stunning to look at . I got the Large with the Bandage Lid… LOL.

YES that’s the one !!

Phoenix West make awesome trunks. I’ve had mine for over 20 years and have replaced the panels once so now it looks new again. They are expensive so I would also advise waiting a while once at your new barn.

A word of advice - give the new barn some time before you go investing money into someone else’s barn colors. Make sure you really love it there before you take the plunge and then ask your trainer or barn manager which company supplies the barn.[/QUOTE]

Even better, ask the trainer is someone who is leaving wants to sell you their trunk. Usually, you don’t pick the manufacturer or art if you want to match the barn’s equipment.

Agree with this. A new tack trunk with all the bells and whistles is about $1400. Sometimes you can find a used one from someone that used to ride at the barn, you may also be able to find a used one to repanel and save several hundred dollars. The trainer should be able to give you the name of the local tack store that has all the trunk specifications for that barn. Phoenix West is one of the most common show barn brands around where I am. Good luck!

And if you really want to be Joan Crawford about it, a generic wood trunk won’t be the trunk that will work anywhere. If the barn really does have its own custom vinyl trunks, that’s the direction you have to go.

A few barns have plans where clients rent show trunks owned by the barn. That makes so much more sense than the traditional way: Clients spend a fortune outfitting their new show horse from the barn’s suppliers…. only to have to sell those at a loss (if they can) to someone else in the barn.

https://www.facebook.com/rosehillequestrianwoodworks?fref=ts

For lovely custom wood trunks… you can always get a custom cover in barn colors.

Otherwise you will have to get matching vinyl in barn colors.