Unlimited access >

"New" Tailored Sportsmans?

I have a couple pairs of older TS breeches and when I went to order a new pair the ones I got were a weird stretchy fabric. I stopped into a Dover store to ask and was informed that unfortunately all TS breeches are now this material. Is that true? And/or is there a different brand with the durability/look of the older TS breeches? The new ones just feel cheap to me and I don’t like the stretchiness. The older ones were more of a “stay how you bought them” fit.

Are they the “trophy hunter” or the “royal hunter” style? I have two pair of the “royal hunter” style that I got on a clearance sale due to being a discontinued style - high-waisted but lovely and durable, flattering to this pear-shaped rider. I did see on Dover’s online store that they have some new kind, but of course you can’t tell online what the material is like.

For the price you would hope they would last a long time :slight_smile:

I think they discontinued most of the older models because most people prefer the more technical fabric of the trophy hunters.

uggghhh I hate to hear this. I know I have ordered a few pair in the last year and a half and they fit a little more snug that ones that I previously ordered. I’m not sure what the change was but there was definitely a change. Same size and low rise trophy hunters. But just a tad more snug :frowning: I hate it! If I go up a size they don’t fit as well.

[QUOTE=Crazy4aOTTB;8832199]
uggghhh I hate to hear this. I know I have ordered a few pair in the last year and a half and they fit a little more snug that ones that I previously ordered. I’m not sure what the change was but there was definitely a change. Same size and low rise trophy hunters. But just a tad more snug :frowning: I hate it! If I go up a size they don’t fit as well.[/QUOTE]

ebay has plenty of the older style versions.

The old cottony fabric had a tendency to blow out in the crotch for most people. The new fabric is much more durable and preferred by most people these days.

Anyone notice the color from the knee patches bleeding when washing the new Trophy hunters? I have always washed TS’s with no issue but this most recent pair is ruined. The brown dye from the knee patches ran all over the rest of the fabric and it will not come out no matter what I have tried!

It’s a shame but not being able to wash my breeches is a deal breaker for me. Now have to find a new brand…

Anyone else have this problem?

[QUOTE=December;8832280]
Anyone notice the color from the knee patches bleeding when washing the new Trophy hunters? I have always washed TS’s with no issue but this most recent pair is ruined. The brown dye from the knee patches ran all over the rest of the fabric and it will not come out no matter what I have tried!

It’s a shame but not being able to wash my breeches is a deal breaker for me. Now have to find a new brand…

Anyone else have this problem?[/QUOTE]

this happened to me but only on my white pair w/ tan patch. the tack store where i got them from was kind enough to replace them for me, and they told me that when they asked TS about it, they said that you can only use mild detergents on the tan patch breeches, no oxiclean.

I’ll try Ebay - thanks! Is there a name for the old vs. new fabric?

[QUOTE=AmmyByNature;8832234]
The old cottony fabric had a tendency to blow out in the crotch for most people. The new fabric is much more durable and preferred by most people these days.[/QUOTE]

This. Yes, new fabric is significantly more durable! By a mile. You’d have to give me the old style breeches as freebies.

You’ll likely get some great deals on Ebay. The old fabric is “royal hunter” breeches. They were attractive, but I can’t say i miss zero stretch and dry-clean only.

Wait - OP needs to clarify. Do you mean the old old fabric? Like the original fabric that’s two way stretch? From back in the puke-green days? Or do you mean the fabric from the first generation “TS Schoolers”?

[QUOTE=chesapeake2;8832331]
I’ll try Ebay - thanks! Is there a name for the old vs. new fabric?[/QUOTE]

Look at the label on the version you like and type that number into the ebay search engine. You can get them for next to nothing because most people prefer the Trophy Hunters. There are also Facebook groups that deal with buying and selling used TS breeches.

Pikeur Ciara are even nicer